Harry Potter PoD Blocks 4 & 12

rated by 0 users
This post has 151 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 6:33 PM

Thanks Barbara,  I've not done much applique.  Maybe in the future I'll branch out to include it. :o)

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 7:37 PM

Max and Dara Beth,

Great Job.   I haven't tackle the monster book yet.   Hopefully next weekend.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,380
Points 115,290

MaxNTopeka:

Judy, Just looked at your Monster Book in media section.

Thanks Max. I do admit that I'm glad he's done. 29 blocks down and one more block to do and that's the cauldron. I waffled about making it as someone said, a hot pot shouldn't be on a bookshelf. But I decided this is a fantasy and the hot bubbling brew is magic and won't hurt anything around it.

Lots of embroidery of titles to do although I won't do every book, just selected ones.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,381
Points 360,847
Kris replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:41 PM

Since a couple of you have made the monster book block I've opened a tread for it. I don't want to lose any of the good tips etc on this one. If you've already posted I would appreciate it if you post it there as well.

I think I'll just create more threads since a few of you are close to finishing. Keep an eye out.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965

Judy,

I keep trying to decide about doing the caldron.  It seems like it is an item that Harry should have, but it looks a tad 'big, plain, and boring' just sitting there. I keep trying to think what I could put in it, or growing or crawling out of it. I haven't done Trevor the frog yet. Maybe I could work the top half of him hanging over the edge of the caldron. Even thought about adding a pile of jelly beans in the caldron, then change the Bertie's Botts in Week 30 to the Chocolate Frog box.  Can't quite decide yet.

I haven't done Scabbers, so I could put Crookshank in place of the cauldron.  Wouldn't want Scabbers and Crookshank in the same quilt! That would be bad news! Even thought about doing the alternate owl, the little brown one, in place of the caldron. I like owls, so that is being seriously considered.  So much to decide!

Think I'm going to work on some books the next few days.  Something simple. Allergies are still flaring up, and the anti-histimines (sp?) make trying to think like trying to swim through mud...slow and mucky!

Can't wait to see how you do your bookcase frame!

Max

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965

Judy,

There isn't a fire under the cauldron, so it could be just sitting on the bookshelf waiting for the next time Harry takes it to class.

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,380
Points 115,290

MaxNTopeka:
I keep trying to decide about doing the caldron.

Max, I finally did the cauldron because I ran out of other blocks I wanted to do. I decided against the candy block, just didn't like it. And one of the book blocks I didn't care for.  I didn't do the Golden Snitch but will use it as an applique flying in the border. I think I've figured out the style of the bookcase but that could change between now and when I put it all together. Tomorrow I will arrange the 30 blocks on the wall in the order I want. A neighbor, who used to own a fabric shop and does lots of quilting, is coming over to lend her opinion on layout and fabric for the bookcase.

I'd really like to do another Scabbers on top of the bookcase but don't know if I could face that task again. Maybe the little brown owl or Baby Norbert.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965

Judy,

There will be plenty of room on top of the bookcase for both the little brown owl AND baby Norbert.   Maybe you could do half a Scabbers?  Hide the other half behind a teacup or ? would make him a little less difficult to face.   I like the idea of the hovering Snitch!  And there are some other patterns of the Snitch that look better than the rather boxey one with this group.   

Just an idea...you might want to google Golden Snitch and look for the images group. There are some pictures of really pretty Snitches. Might give you some embellishment ideas since you'll be appliquing it.   

I looked at some antique English bookcases online last night and found a couple that I really liked the moulding on. Will have to be on the lookout at LQS for fabric that would work.  I should have plenty of time before I'm at that stage. I'm feeling better today, so I'll probably tackle some more book blocks.

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,380
Points 115,290

Max. Iike your ideas. Especially the half hidden Scabbers. I'll have to give that some thought. Another teacup on top of the bookcase would be awesome.  I've been google google googling for bookcase moldings and then trying to draw those in EQ7. I have all my blocks in EQ7 and am playing with the bookcase design.

This project is just WAAY to much fun.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:33 AM

Max,

I read through you and Judy's discussion and wondered if you had considered adding the Howler.  I plan on adding this one.  I didn't know if you saw it at sew crook.  It's a note Ron gets from his mom that is basically a verbal reprimand for getting in trouble at school.   It is really hilarious.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,380
Points 115,290

Robin. I'll take a look for Howler and see if it's something that would work as appliqué on the border.  I'm going to appliqué the Golden Snitch and some others.  

Thanks for suggestion of green for the bookcase. It's a color that would go well. I think I have my head set on a deep plum or burgundy. I just have to find the perfect one. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:28 PM

Robin:

Max,

I read through you and Judy's discussion and wondered if you had considered adding the Howler.  I plan on adding this one.  I didn't know if you saw it at sew crook.  It's a note Ron gets from his mom that is basically a verbal reprimand for getting in trouble at school.   It is really hilarious.

Robin

Harry's Aunt Petunia also got a howler from Dumbledore when Harry used the Patronus charm to get rid of the dementors in book 5.  I'm planning on using a bunch of the 'extra' 5-inch blocks in a border around the bookcase.  I'm not sure yet how many blocks I'll do but probably at least a dozen.  I came to this when I realized that Hagrid's Hut, the Knight Bus, and some of the other things I wanted to add wouldn't really work in the bookcase.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:34 PM

DaraBeth thats a really good idea using the samller blocks in the border.  that will be awesome. I'm working on the block with the galsses , that wone is a nightmare to do ,  won't get it finished as my stuff is all packed up for retreat.  See you all when we get back .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965

Robin--I'll have to take another look at the Howler.  I think that is the one I first thought was a werewolf.

Dara-- Adding blocks on the border would be a great way to get them in the quilt. That was a good idea!

Barbara--Have a great time at the retreat.  We will miss you!  

Max

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 7:37 PM

Barbara and Max.  I'm glad you like the border idea.  Feel free to make use of it if you are so inclined. ;-)   We all put our own stamp on these quilts.

Page 8 of 11 (152 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use