rated by 0 users
This post has 544 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Fri, May 3 2013 10:19 PM

Oh Jen,

I can't wait to see what you came up with.

I've been so bad at getting going with a lot of projects I won't make promises to get back to this just yet.

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 450
Points 8,565
Jan replied on Sat, May 4 2013 11:39 AM

Jen

Just starting Harry Potter.  DH loves him so I am doing a Christmas quilt.  The major problem is due to an electrical issue my sewing machine is in the living room so I have to be careful what I have laying around.  I am also beginning to do some applique, so he has actually picked out some of the colors he thinks are for applique that he likes that will be for HR.  Hope to get a few done and pics up soon.

Jan

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Sat, May 4 2013 2:07 PM

Jan, Your plan sounds familiar!  I was inspired by everyone who did the PoD week to week and decided to make one for each of my boys on the sly for Christmas.  I almost have blocks pieced for one.  It's so hard to not be able to work on it on weekends when they're underfoot and summer will be a slow go too.  I've been tempted plenty of times to spill the beans, but have managed the mischief so far.  I'll be in it for awhile yet.  Can't wait to see your blocks!

jen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Sat, May 11 2013 7:28 AM

Well, today I learned it takes a long time to pick three machine embroidered letters out of a finished book block and that I don't want to do that again.  lol   I guess I'm pushing the limit of just how small you can make letters before the thread gets too stacked up and they start to go all lumpy.  I got a few suggestions from the sewing store ladies and will try again Monday when the kids are out of the house.

On the good side, I found a streaky brown batik that I think will work for the bookcase.  Now I'm searching for a fun "background" fabric for the bookcase that will look like an old wallpaper you might see in the Ravenclaw house.  Thinking muted blue and bronze kind of thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, May 12 2013 1:09 PM

Jen,

I love that you're putting so much thought into this. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 64,995
Robin replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 5:35 AM

Jen,

I realize you have probably finished by now.  But I did do the howler.   It wasn't that bad.  Looking at your other blocks you will have no trouble mastering it.  I think I did put it in with the book.

Robin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 6:19 AM

Hi Robin,

No, I haven't finished yet.  I'm slogging through machine embroidering the titles and, since it's my first attempt at it, I've had to do my share of replacing books that didn't stitch out well.  I think there are about seven blocks to go so I'll be at it awhile.  Any advice on how to quilt this?  I'm thinking about doing it in rows to have less to manage under the machine but haven't done that before either...

Jen

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 11:44 PM

Jen,

Jennifer made a video talking about the PoD and the quilting done on her original. Perhaps you can get some ideas from her.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 64,995
Robin replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 5:22 AM

Jen,

I've still got to put my rows together but I can quilt it.   I'm not sure how to quilt it.  I'll be watching Kris video too.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:51 AM

I'm considering using the "quilt as you go" method for assembling PoD.  But I've never done the technique before.  I've looked at YouTube and Craftsy and it looks like I'd assemble a row of blocks, add the sash piece that is the bookshelf, and quilt it (leaving the sashing unquilted so it can be folded back fully).  Then two adjacent rows are sewn together - all by machine.  Then I trim the batting that's hanging beyond the sashing and top of the adjacent row so the edges match up flat and use Steam-a-Seam or slip stitch together.  Finally it's the backing's turn - it gets trimmed so it can be folded and machine stitched down somewhere that coincides with an existing seam.  I think.

Repeating for all the rows, and then the borders...eesh...sounds like more work than it's worth.  Maybe dividing the top in half or thirds is better to cut down on monkeying around.  Anybody care to share their experience?  I'm definitely not looking for a nighmare of assembly and want it to look great front and back when it's done.

Thanks! Jen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 3:57 PM

Anybody still plugging at Harry?  How are you coming along?  I'm sandwiched and pin basted (thank goodness for a ping pong table and kids that don't complain when I take it over) and I'm trudging through the stitch in the ditch.  Deadline is looming as I want to enter it in my quilt guild's show in October!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 4:09 PM

Jen,

I'm still stuck with five blocks. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

Deciding how to  quilt Harry was my biggest problem. I did some tight quilting in some blocks to pop out the figures and very little in others. The teacup I quilted in steam coming up, another one I quilted in a spider web in the corner, some echo quilting. But I got a bit carried away at times.

If I were to do it again, (Heaven forbid!) I'd do less quilting, just enough to accent where I wanted it accented and to pop out the designs.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Sat, Aug 31 2013 8:38 PM

Judy, Your "heaven forbid" made me laugh.  I'm making a second one for my younger son - should I have my head examined?  lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

MNJen:

Judy, Your "heaven forbid" made me laugh.  I'm making a second one for my younger son - should I have my head examined?  lol

Oh, yeah. :-)

The way Harry consumed my time and attention last year I don't think I could go through that again. It was a really exciting project but I can't imagine making another one.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 36 of 37 (545 items) «Prev3334353637Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use