Harry Potter Paper Piecing Project of Doom: General Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 544 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

I've been skipping back and forth between Nana's scrappy project and POD.  I have finished Weeks 27 and 29.

The only changes I made to the teacup was to make a single band of color at the rim, instead of that narrow stripe.  Lazy? I guess! But I couldn't figure out what to do with all those seam allowances if I did the narrow stripe.

My DH had picked out a really cool brownish fabric with bubbles on it to use for the 'contents' of the cauldron. Really good idea at the time, but....it looks like bean soup!  I just couldn't stand the thought of forever smelling bean soup everytime I snuggled under my quilt, so I changed it out to greenish bubbles.  I didn't want to use a black fabric for the pot since it is a fairly big area. It really seemed to dominate the quilt when I auditioned black on the design board. I went with a patterned dark grey fabric instead.  It's better, but still pretty dominating in my opinion.  Maybe I'll applique something in front of the pot to break up the solid dark chunk of color.

Both of these blocks were easy and quick. I spent more time looking for a delicate dainty fabric to use for the teacup than I did sewing the whole block together. Guess who doesn't have 'dainty, delicate, flowery' prints in her stash.

I also finished a jar of candy, but it doesn't make up a full block yet.  Does anyone besides me remember Harry eating jawbreakers in the books?

Max

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:07 PM

Max,

great blocks. I like your caldron. I can see what you mean with the "solid" block. You made me laugh with the bean soup comment.

I like your take on the teacup too.

MaxNTopeka:
I also finished a jar of candy, but it doesn't make up a full block yet.  Does anyone besides me remember Harry eating jawbreakers in the books?

I think the jawbreakers war called "gobstoppers" they changed colour. Not sure which book(s) mentioned them.

I forgot to open a new thread before now I'll get right on it.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:24 PM

OK all the blocks now have a discussion thread.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,053
Points 65,880
Robin replied on Sun, Jun 10 2012 7:49 PM

Great blocks!   I remember chocolate frogs and various flavor jelly beans but no jaw breakers.

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thanks Kris and Robin!  I know there is an 'encycopedia' on Harry Potter books somewhere on the web. I may have to tiptoe thru cyber space to see if I can find it.  I'm afraid it would take too long to just read the books again!

Thank you for opening up the threads, Kris.  Now I'll put my pics in the right spot.  Then I will be back to Nana's scrappy pile for a while.

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

<sigh>  I'm quilting Harry Potter. Got two rows done and was getting bored and a bit frustrated. I'm stippling the background fabric in each block but was running out of ideas for some of the books and figures. I wasn't happy with what I had been doing.  I looked at one of the books (without a title) and drew a blank so I simply free motion quilted "Wizards" on the book. George looks over my shoulder and says "Hey, I like that".  Encouraged, with my Frixon pen, I drew on some bats, stars and a variety of words and free motion quilted those on other books. Lots more fun that what I was doing and I felt I was being "creative".

Oh well. The quilting on this thing is going to be very eclectic. The judges at the fair are going to look at my quilt and scratch their heads. Maybe I'll get a prize for Weirdest and Most Unreconizable Quilting.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,053
Points 65,880
Robin replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 8:52 PM

Judy,

Sounds like a great way to get their attention.  I love your creativity.    It's terrific when you have someone to encourage you.

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

I love the idea of just 'going for it!'  I bet the judges give you credit for originality.  Can't wait to see it.  

I'm still amazed that I can't find any examples out on the web of POD quilted.  We know lots of people worked on this project, all over the world, when it first came out.  Didn't anyone finish it and post photos?

Max

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

MaxNTopeka:

Judy,

I love the idea of just 'going for it!'  I bet the judges give you credit for originality.  Can't wait to see it.  

I'm still amazed that I can't find any examples out on the web of POD quilted.  We know lots of people worked on this project, all over the world, when it first came out.  Didn't anyone finish it and post photos?

Max

Max,  I also cruised the web looking for ideas with no luck.  Gini probably steered me the best by telling me to stipple in the background areas to set off the paper piecing and add quilting as needed to the designs. So, in a way, I'm treating each block as a separate quilt. I've decided to quit worrying about how it will go over at the Fair quilt show and just have fun with the quilting.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Max, I did find one example of a quilted Harry Potter quilt. Different design but it does show some of the quilting.

http://home.comcast.net/~owlsea/harry/IMG_0241.png

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

MaxNTopeka:

Max

Here is a better link

http://home.comcast.net/~owlsea/harry.html

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:56 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Oh well. The quilting on this thing is going to be very eclectic. The judges at the fair are going to look at my quilt and scratch their heads. Maybe I'll get a prize for Weirdest and Most Unreconizable Quilting.

Well Judy,

I think that's fits right in with the Harry Potter theme. The quilt is unusual so why not unusual quilting. I bet they'll be blown away.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 3:52 PM

Harry is half done. :) This is so cool!

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 6:22 PM

I really like the fabric that you have used for the pages on your books.  Once I have all the quilt obligations completed will get going on this one in the meantime, I'll enjoy what all of you have done.  So many creative folks working on this.  Gail in NH

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Debbie (Dainty):

Harry is half done. :) This is so cool!

WOW, that is beautiful. Your background fabric really sets everything off.

Page 31 of 37 (545 items) «Prev2930313233Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use