rated by 0 users
This post has 544 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Sun, May 20 2012 11:35 PM

Dara,

Are you doing your border blocks in the 5 1/2 inch size, or are you enlarging them? 

Max

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Mon, May 21 2012 5:29 AM

Dara Beth,

Fawkes is so cute! love the glittery fabric to him. And all those little peices. Oh My! Awesome job.

Deb

Dara Beth:

Here is my first border block.

Fawkes

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Mon, May 21 2012 1:01 PM

Dara Beth:
Kris, you're right about the fairy frost, it does do wonders.  I've got three colors that I'm using in this.

I have a small bundle of these fabrics but have yet to find the right project for them (I really just don't want to use them. They so nice to look at)

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

I've been working ahead the last few days, and have posted pictures under media for Weeks 19, 20 & 21.  Week 19 is the candle, and an easy block to do. Had fun finding a fabric that looked like wax. Found a batik that is pale, but if you look close you can see the wax run on the side. It shows up better 'in person'.  Another piece of red batik provided a nice flame.

Weeks 20 & 21 are the Sorting Hat.  Grrrrr......!!!  I was beginning to think the Sorting Hat didn't like me. I frogged those blocks to death!  I think all the angled pieces, attached at angles was what was giving me problems.  Advice?  Leave extra fabric along the block's edges. It will allow you a little room to get all the pieces joined and trim the block to the required 10 1/2 inches square. Better a little extra to trim than being just a little bit too short.

And I found a paper pieced rat that I liked on another website.  I made him 6 inches so I can add him to another block.  Now I have to decide where! I added embroidery for his eye, nose, teeth, toes, and cheek hairs.  I still need to add whiskers, but was getting tired tonight.  The website he was on has many free paper pieced patterns.  The rat was under 'Holidays' or Halloween' (sorry, short term memory loss at work!).  Found some really pretty stars on the same site...may have to make a PP Stars quilt one of these days!  The website is www.Quiltiger.com  .  My Scabbers looks a little too 'cute', but I think he will do.

Here is Scabbers:

and Weeks 19, 20&21:

Max

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 125,005

Max, how fun!  The rat/mouse? is sweet. Yea, maybe too sweet for Scabbers but who cares?  I love him. Great job with the embroidery.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Wed, May 23 2012 11:39 PM

Nice work Max. I like your rat. Cute.

Your sorting hat turned out great. I'm glad you persevered.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Thu, May 24 2012 5:24 AM

Max,

Terrific blocks.  I love you rat, he is adorable.  But also very ratty.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, May 24 2012 4:55 PM

MaxNTopeka:

Dara,

Are you doing your border blocks in the 5 1/2 inch size, or are you enlarging them? 

Max

Yep, I am leaving them the 5 1/2 inch size. I thought about making them bigger but didn't want it to overpower the bookcase. :-)

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, May 24 2012 4:57 PM

Debbie (Dainty):

Dara Beth,

Fawkes is so cute! love the glittery fabric to him. And all those little peices. Oh My! Awesome job.

Deb

Dara Beth:

Here is my first border block.

Fawkes

Thanks Debbie,  He was fun to do -)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, May 24 2012 5:00 PM

Kris:

Dara Beth:
Kris, you're right about the fairy frost, it does do wonders.  I've got three colors that I'm using in this.

I have a small bundle of these fabrics but have yet to find the right project for them (I really just don't want to use them. They so nice to look at)

My DD & I went on a shop hop just as MQ6 was getting ready to start and that is when I bought the fairy frost.  I kinda felt bad about it, I only got 1/2 yard of each color and the lady in front of me bought yards and yards and yards of fabrics (almost $300 worth) so my purchase was kind of puny :-)  They are nice to look at but even nicer to use ! LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, May 24 2012 5:07 PM

Max.  Love your Scabbers!  Yea he is more cute but is also ratty!  Great fabric for his ears and tail. 

And I love the fabric you used on the sorting hat, sort of tweedy. Great job.  The candle is too cool.  When zooming in on it I can see the wax dripping :o)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,028
Points 369,302
Kris replied on Thu, May 24 2012 7:43 PM

Dara Beth:
My DD & I went on a shop hop just as MQ6 was getting ready to start and that is when I bought the fairy frost.  I kinda felt bad about it, I only got 1/2 yard of each color and the lady in front of me bought yards and yards and yards of fabrics (almost $300 worth) so my purchase was kind of puny :-)

I'm usually that lady. Don't know how I don't have more Fairy Frosts. I'll have to rectify that situation.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Thu, May 24 2012 11:50 PM

Thank you for all your kind comments on Scabbers!  He was so much fun to make.

I'm looking at the blocks that are left, and trying to figure which ones I want to leave in and which I want to replace. I have some patterns for bottles that I would like to use, and I want the cauldron (still deciding on what to put in it).  So many decisions!  And DH is starting his vacation tomorrow, so he will be under foot for the next 10 days...I am afraid my sewing time will suffer.  He is mumbling something about scraping and painting the vents and eaves on the house, and varnishing woodwork. I didn't know he was planning on a working vacation!

So even if I don't get to sew, I hope all of you get to work on something that makes you smile! Have a wonderful weekend!  Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Fri, May 25 2012 5:04 AM

MaxNTopeka:

So even if I don't get to sew, I hope all of you get to work on something that makes you smile! Have a wonderful weekend!  Max

Max,

I hope that DH will allow you to vacation too!  Meaning I hope he will give you some stitching time in between coats.   Remind him all work and no play makes Max a sad girl.

Robin

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 440

I agree your rat is cute and I love the fabric you used in the hat

Page 29 of 37 (545 items) «Prev2728293031Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use