General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 530 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:40 PM

Judy ,I like it , I know you can do this ,the first one always looks weird without the rest .  Don't you darn give this up . I just know you will really love it once you get more going .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

MaxNTopeka:

JUDY!!

You know you're up to the challenge. Don't you dare think about quitting after only one block!  At least wait until your eyes uncross. 

MAX!!!  (LOL)

I did color the lighthouse pattern last night. It was a simple one to figure out. Getting the directional fabric to behave is more of a challenge. And, unfortunately, the sky fabric I picked out is definitely directional.  Not only directional but I have to watch how the patterns lay together. That's part of what has discouraged me from continuing. If I would have settled for a simple background pattern like she uses in the books it would be much easier. But tonight, while watching the debate, I may play with coloring some others and see how it goes. That's half the battle.  Because of the way the more complex patterns are laid out in the book it's a little hard to figure out what is what. Maybe if I diddle around with them here and there it won't seem so stressful.

But I'm most anxious to get George started on drawing me some alternate patterns for the Vintage Tin project. That project I'm really excited about.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 8:08 PM

Hey me encanta, tal ves no para un proyecto grande pero me gusta para hacer individuales para mi familia.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 10:01 PM

Sorry but this is a quick note....Thanks everybody. And Thicket thanks ya too. :) The whale tale is really cute! Fabric in it is perfect.

Max you hit the discription of cat supervision right on ( l laughed outloud.)...Thicket is a 5yo Norwegian Forest cat. He is a purebred. My fuzzy big boy. And the Caretakers (Mr Finch?Fletch) cat in Harry Potter... Think her name is Mrs Norris. She is a NFC too. :) That is why I HAD to have a cat in my quilt. Just not sure if I like the one I made. haa

Deb 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:25 AM

Deb,

Thicket is really beautiful!  I've never seen a NFC in person, only pictures in books and magazine. They are impressive! 

I really do think a little embroidery work will work wonders with the cat block.  Or a few light strokes with a fine tip permenent ink pen.  If you can enlarge the pic of my HP take a look at Scabbers.  I used a fine tip pen for hair around his face, plus some embroidery, to keep him from looking like a gray blob.

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:32 AM

Judy,

Does the sky appear in all the blocks for Seascapes?  Maybe you could keep looking for a second sky material that isn't quite as directional, then do some blocks with it and some with this really pretty one.

I'll keep watching as I surf different website.  Saw some on the Northcott dot com site that are pretty. They were different colorways of Stonehenge. I hadn't realized there were so many lines of Stonehenge patterns and colors.  I could get lost in them!

Happy coloring!  Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

MaxNTopeka:
Does the sky appear in all the blocks for Seascapes?  Maybe you could keep looking for a second sky material that isn't quite as directional,

The sky isn't in all the blocks although the designer did use the same generic fabric for the background for nearly everything. I don't want to do that. I do have another, softer sky fabric but it's also directional. I will use that for one or two of the blocks. That's IF I make the rest. Last night I was able to color in the lobster. I'm starting to get the feel of her layout and find that if I color in the background on the pattern pieces first, the rest is a little easier. George has about 3 million colored pencils and I'm making good use of them. 

I've been scanning the color photos and flipping them so they lay in the same direction as the pattern. That makes it easier to figure out the color placement.

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:12 PM

Wow! I missed so much! I'm am so happy to be back though! I just finished my HP blocks and now working on putting them together. I am still working on my Compass blocks but I am behind.

Are we starting another project? Seascapes?

How is everyone?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 1:28 PM

Judy está lindo su cola de ballena, el cielo es muy lindo, Quisiera ver ya todo el proyecto debe ser muy complicado.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Hi, Joy!

Wonder what had happened to you!  Glad to see you are still working on HP.  Was afraid you had given up on him.

I think Kris said, on the previous page, that they are going to start "Moon Glow" by Jinny Beyer. About Feb 2013.  I'm going to pass on Moon Glow.

Judy has got a book, "Seascapes", that is paper pieced patterns. I can't remember the author's name.  But some of the patterns are a bit challenging. 

Hope to see your finished photos soon!

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

Thanks Ninette. It's more complex than I thought when I bought the book because the paper piecing patterns are not pre-colored. But I'm gradually figuring them out. Here's a link to the website where she shows photos of the blocks.

http://www.cpthreads.com/Page1.html

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,471
Points 116,825

MaxNTopeka:
Judy has got a book, "Seascapes", that is paper pieced patterns. I can't remember the author's name.  But some of the patterns are a bit challenging. 

The book is Seascapes by Cheryl Peck. Here's her website with the block photos. http://www.cpthreads.com/Page1.html

I thought, at first, this would be a good group project. But it really wouldn't be. Moon Glow by Jinny Beyer is a much better choice.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:34 PM

Judy pude ver la pág. del libro pero solamente si tengo casa en la playa yo haría este trabajo es muy complicado, te deseo muy buena suerte!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:25 PM

Judy T, I admire your courage! Having looked at the gallery on the website, it looks like a master-quilter project, even though she says there are blocks easy enough for a beginner. I like some of the scenes, but not enough to try them at this point in my PP experience!

Best wishes on this one!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,127
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:48 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
The book is Seascapes by Cheryl Peck.

Still waiting for my book.

Page 21 of 36 (531 items) «Prev1920212223Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use