General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 530 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

MaxNTopeka:
You could look for a long time and not find better 'sky' fabrics.  I just can't stand that standard 'pale blue with fluffy white cloud' pattern.

I agree. Lots of fluffy white on blue backgrounds that I rejected. Unfortunately the one I thought was so perfect was icky in person. I found a couple more online and have ordered a fat quarter of each before I get the 5 yards I'll need. One is Wild Horses light blue and the other is First LIght Cloudy Sky blue. I may use a combo of the two if they are usable. One criteria was that the pattern not be directional and that has cut my options down considerably.

Most of the batiks I looked at just weren't quite there.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:30 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I just Googled the Moonglow pattern and downloaded it. I dunno if I'll do this one but it's there if I decide to. I have a ton of various tones of black and white and violet/pinkish fabric I bought on whim.  Kris, do you think that would be appropriate for this pattern if I decide to do it with everyone?

Certainly Judy. I think those would work fine.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Judy,

I had hoped you found what you were looking for...darn it!

Have you considered hand-dyed fabrics?  Vicki Welsh is a hand-dyer. I follow her blog for some good ideas in quilting and love her fabrics.  She sells on Etsy. Here is a link to a graduated blue. Looks pretty.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/86801537/hand-dyed-fabric-gradient-blue-sky?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=vicki+welsh&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_explicit_scope=1&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all

Maybe it will help. She will also dye additional yardage if you contact her.

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:11 AM

Kris I ,to just downloaded the MoomGlow  project ,I think this would be a great BOM for us to do . It is beautiful . I couln't believe it was 86 pages long ,Its an entire book ..LOL  Only got half done as I ran out of ink ,but I knew that would happen ,saved it to my files but I still want a printed copy ,so I'm off to buy ink.. LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

MaxNTopeka:
Have you considered hand-dyed fabrics?  Vicki Welsh is a hand-dyer.

Whew, at $18 bucks a yard that's way over what I want to pay. I need at least 5 yards. I am looking for that type of pattern but with hints of violets and just a tinge of indigo. That's what the coast skies look like.

I'm hoping the fat quarters I ordered will be what I want. It's really hard to get a feel for colors on the internet. Even though I don't plan to start this project until after the holidays, I hope they get here sooner than later. Not a patient person am I. LOL

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:53 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Whew, at $18 bucks a yard that's way over what I want to pay.

Gee, Judy!  It's only money....think about how long the quilt will last!  LOL!   I'll keep an eye open as I prowl different websites. 

I understand what you mean when you have a quilt brewing on the back burner. Makes it hard to concentrate on current projects.  I have one that is barely thru the pencil/erasing/sketching stage and I want to stop everything else to work on it. I've even ordered the fabric for it already!!  But I will NOT give in until HP is finished. (I don't count juggling 3 BOW/BOM projects.)

Hope the FQ's you ordered work out for your sky!

Max

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:13 AM

If you all decided to do this moon glow project...count me in. lol I just downloaded it, printed out the material list and will start picking out my material for it this Sat. Gonna take awhile to get the fabric for it all together. :)

Deb

Barbara:

Kris I ,to just downloaded the MoomGlow  project ,I think this would be a great BOM for us to do . It is beautiful . I couln't believe it was 86 pages long ,Its an entire book ..LOL  Only got half done as I ran out of ink ,but I knew that would happen ,saved it to my files but I still want a printed copy ,so I'm off to buy ink.. LOL  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:29 AM

Debbie I was looking over the fabric for this pattern , lots of small yardage. kinda worries me with PP . I'm going to see what kind of fabric I have first before  I start buying it . I sure we can  get this fabric form RJR website or Jenny Beyers Website. It something I'm gonna have to sit down a figure out. LOL  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 6:40 AM

Barbara, I agree... and I may end up buying my fabric a block at a time. My LQS carries alot of this material. And some I may already have. Would like to do 2 of this quilt (someday)... one in oranges, yellows too and call it Sun Spot. lol BUT... First to finish Harry and the Scrappy(need to spray baste to start the quilting, been waiting for a non-rainy, non-windy day.) and the Craftsy BOM. 

Barbara:

Debbie I was looking over the fabric for this pattern , lots of small yardage. kinda worries me with PP . I'm going to see what kind of fabric I have first before  I start buying it . I sure we can  get this fabric form RJR website or Jenny Beyers Website. It something I'm gonna have to sit down a figure out. LOL  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 9:08 AM

Debbie ,that would be awesome one in oranges and yellows ,Never thought of that. I hope to start working on mine after next month ,then I'll be free to do what I want for awhile. I gotta quilt trying to do so much LOL  but I love everything and want to do all of it ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 6:23 PM

I hear you there Barbara. Have quite a few projects going myself. But since I am new at this I was trying to find what I like to do most in quilting. And I found that paper piecing is it. Love to do it and I am loveing the results. I'll get back to the others... someday when I want a change. ;P

I would like to try designing my own with the paper piecing. Start with something small.. like a pillow size.  Will have to look into that.

Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:49 PM

Debbie,

I like your idea for doing this in oranges and yellow. You'll have to give it a different name.

I was looking at Jinny's website and contemplating buying a kit from her since I do like it in those colours. I saw one at Keepsake quilting a while back but they no longer have it.

I have a ton of projects going and I jump around depending on my mood. The hazards of not having a deadline or specific people to make things for.

Debbie (Dainty):
 I would like to try designing my own with the paper piecing. Start with something small.. like a pillow size.  Will have to look into that.

You could try out some of your original designs on us here in the group. That would be fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 11:45 AM

Kris I think that is a great idea , Debbie we can be your lab rats LOL   I like that .. Kirs I really like the Moon glow  pattern and can't wait to get it started. but It has to wait awhile as I'm off to retreat next week and the my guild has their quilt show when I get back then I'm free to do what I want ..Yippee

Have fun in Washington ...

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 1:25 PM

Barbara,

this project won't start until next year. The compasses aren't done and there are others still working on HP. Maybe February when the holiday craziness is over with.

Have fun in Iowa. Will our retreats overlap this year?

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Sep 28 2012 9:57 AM

Kris yeah but just for a few days . but that's ok, You all have a great time and we'll look foward to all the reports and I'll try and do the same .. So are we going to do the Moonglow next year ? if so I'll wait and do it then. That would be so awesome. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 35
Page 17 of 36 (531 items) «Prev1516171819Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use