General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 487 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:44 AM

Welcome to the group. I have been busy with work until recently and training a puppy but I am getting back to quilting. I have yet to do any of my paper pieced project lol but I have saved the months on my computer into a folder for later.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,803
Points 352,157
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:40 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Kris, or anyone. Just for grins,  I'm playing with a paper piecing design in EQ7. I designed the block and colored it. Brought it into a quilt. But when I went to print it as foundation it won't print in the colors. Is there a way to do that? The reason I'm doing this is to help me with the Seascapes patterns which are only in grayscale. Some of them are very complex and I'm going to have trouble laying out the pieces. 

The foundations don't print with the colours. All the grayscale greys are different but can be quite subtle when there are many colours. I know you can print the block showing the colours maybe you can use that as a piecing guide. 

when I get home tonight I'll see what I can do with it. I'm using my mac right now so can't be sure 'til I'm in EQ. Stay tuned...

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,110
Points 110,300

Kris:
The foundations don't print with the colours. All the grayscale greys are different but can be quite subtle when there are many colours. I know you can print the block showing the colours maybe you can use that as a piecing guide. 

The book, and the block I re created in EQ7, does show the colorings. But the foundation patterns are grayscale and reversed from the block picture so it's hard to figure out the color placement on the more complex patterns. I may try to print the colored block reversed so it matches the direction of the pattern pieces. Perhaps that would help me to color code the pattern pieces otherwise I'm sure I'll loose what little mind I have left. LOL.

I REALLY want to make these blocks. I have some ideas on finishing it by quilting in various seashore designs in a few plain blocks and some various width sashings.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,803
Points 352,157
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:24 PM

AuntieDawn:
I have just discovered this group and am so happy to have found it--I was wanting to learn to paper piece but wasn't sure if I could ever do it.

Welcome Dawn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,803
Points 352,157
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:26 PM

Judy,

when you create the paper piecing pattern are you grouping the sections yourself or are you letting EQ do that?

You can do it yourself and, on your coloured block, you can mark the grouping and write the same numbers in. Therefore the colour placement would be easier for you. Make sense?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,110
Points 110,300

Kris:

Judy,

when you create the paper piecing pattern are you grouping the sections yourself or are you letting EQ do that?

You can do it yourself and, on your coloured block, you can mark the grouping and write the same numbers in. Therefore the colour placement would be easier for you. Make sense?

Kris. I've been doing the design the same way as in the book and for the first two I tried, EQ actually numbered it the same way as in the book. But I doubt if that will happen with the complex designs. I figured I'd need to renumber them.

Thank you, I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 530
Elizabeth replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:46 PM

you could always break out the pencil crayons and scribble some colour onto each and every section ...

Liz / Calgary

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,110
Points 110,300

Elizabeth:

you could always break out the pencil crayons and scribble some colour onto each and every section ...

Yes that's what I'm doing and it works with some of the blocks. The problem is that some of the blocks are very complex and hard to determine which itsy piece is which.  Especially since the block photo is reversed from the dozens of pattern pieces. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:48 AM

AuntieDawn:

Acabo de descubrir este grupo y estoy muy feliz de haber encontrado - yo quería aprender a pedazo de papel, pero no estaba seguro de si yo podría hacerlo. Vi un par de videos en You-Tube, intentó un pequeño bloque muy simple, y una vez que "el cuelgue" de la misma creo que realmente va a gustar. De todos modos, estoy contento de encontrarme con todos vosotros.

Amanecer

Yo lo amo porque es un contacto tan lejos de personas a las que les gusta lo mimo que a mi.  A tus ordenes

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 530
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:43 AM

do you have a graphics program? hit the print screen button on your keyboard and paste it into your graphics program, crop it to just the block, then reverse it (I could do that part for you if you like).

Liz / Calgary

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,110
Points 110,300

Elizabeth:

do you have a graphics program? hit the print screen button on your keyboard and paste it into your graphics program, crop it to just the block, then reverse it (I could do that part for you if you like).

Thanks Elizabeth. That's what I'm doing with the color photos so they're the same direction as the pattern pieces and then will color the pattern templates in EQ7. Luckily I don't have to do all the blocks, just the more complex ones.

Max, you suggested Batiks. That's mainly what I have for most of the pieces. Now I'm searching for the perfect main background for the blocks. It needs to look like sky but not be boring blue and white flufflies and I think I've found it. There is a Holly Taylor Batik called Sunrise Sunset Mist that is shown online. It looks perfect. Our local shop carries it! I'm on my way down there now.

They also have it darker in the Sunrise Sunset Horizon that I may incorporate along with the lighter sky.

I won't be starting this project until after the holidays, but I want to get the pattern coloring figured out and will probably try a block of one of the simpler patterns like the starfish or sea cucumber.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:30 PM

They are gorgeous fabrics and I'm waiting with batied breath to see the finished quilt.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 7:34 PM

Kris:

I spoke too soon. My PDF file has 86 pages. Some of the block centres are foundation pieced. It would be nice to do this as a group. I agree that we should wait until after the holidays when most of us will have more free time.

I'm still trying to catch up on my compass blocks, and Harry Potter, but I would be interested in doing the Moon Glow quilt after the first of the year.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,110
Points 110,300

I just Googled the Moonglow pattern and downloaded it. I dunno if I'll do this one but it's there if I decide to. I have a ton of various tones of black and white and violet/pinkish fabric I bought on whim.  Kris, do you think that would be appropriate for this pattern if I decide to do it with everyone?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930

Judy,

You could look for a long time and not find better 'sky' fabrics.  I just can't stand that standard 'pale blue with fluffy white cloud' pattern. It looks so phony!  But both of these fabrics are wonderful!  One for the highup in the sky shots and the other for the skyline level.  Love the Sunset!   I was afraid when you had said you were looking for gray clouds you'd wind up with a 'dark and stormy' sky that would affect the whole quilt.  But these are great! Looking forward to see what you do with this project!

Max

Page 16 of 33 (488 items) «Prev1415161718Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use