General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 530 Replies | 38 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 380

Hi Kris,

I've been 'absent' since the new semester began but I've been reading the posts during breaks between classes.  I felt like I was in withdrawal and picked up my work on the WA Mini Star on Monday.  I'd like to join the Harry Potter project...and most likely can keep up with 2 blocks a month.  Thanks again to everyone posting---that keeps me connected and grounded. I'll try to be more response.   Namaste', Linda

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,983
Points 64,185
Robin replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:30 PM

I'd like to try the Harry Potter Blocks.  I think?  I'll have to look at them but I bet my daughter, whose a huge fan of the books would love it. 

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,983
Points 64,185
Robin replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:41 PM

Robin:

I'd like to try the Harry Potter Blocks.  I think?  I'll have to look at them but I bet my daughter, whose a huge fan of the books would love it. 

Robin

Change the I think?  to I'm in my dd would love this and I can't think of a better way to capture such a large part of her childhood.

Robin

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 6:07 PM

Robin that is so neat you can so this for your DD, heck I'm just doing it for me LOL  barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 7:45 PM

Thanks Robin and Linda.

Robin, I think your DD will love it. I can't wait to see everyone's blocks. Of course the schedule will be a guideline. You can work on them at your own pace. 

Looking forward to your Mini Star Linda.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 12:14 AM

i might, wil would love this

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 400
Vickie replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 8:01 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "pages" . Would you mind explaining to this newbee where you'll put the links next month when we start?

Am I correct in assuming that you are choosing which two blocks we do each month? And is there any way to save the harder blocks for towards the end so those that need it have a bit more experience by the time they hit them?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 4:00 PM

Vickie, when you first open this group you will see some words on the right side where you click disscusions , there will be pages there click on it and Kris has a whole list of things there . I hope that helps .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 8:11 PM

Vickie,

the links are in pages as Barbara said. When I open a thread for each block assignment I will include the link in the thread.

I will not be grouping blocks by difficulty.You can work on any block you want to and post when we get to it. I wouldn't want to have all the more challenging ones at the end. Once you have the concept of paper piecing down it shouldn't be too difficult to tackle any of them

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 400
Vickie replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 7:17 AM

Thanks. for the explanations ladies of the way the blocks will be posted.  I've been paper piecing for several years. I'm sure I can do any of the blocks; I was simply wondering if you had any plans for  posting in difficulty order. I just started teaching paper piecing and was wondering what your thoughts were on difficulty order.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 9:03 AM

I love the Harry Potter quilt, but I have no idea who the recipient will be!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:24 AM

When do we start Kris???

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 16,270
Zsofia replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 12:32 PM

Kris:

OK fellow paper piecers. Have you heard of the "Harry Potter Project of Doom"? This was a mystery BOW quilt from Jennifer Ofenstein of sewhooked. It is a paper piecing project that produces a very unique quilt. Harry Potter fans (I am one) should love it.

I downloaded it last year but never got around to making any of it. I was going through my patterns looking for something else when I stumbled upon it. I would like to attempt this as a group project. What say you?

Some of the patterns are challenging but I'm sure we can get through it. This should be fun. We can make it a 2 block per month project. You can omit any blocks you find too difficult but I think you will be remiss if you didn't try them all. I will post the link to the patterns in "pages" let me know what you think. We can get started next month if everyone is up for it.

Let me know.

Kris,

This  sounds awesome! My younger son loves Harry Potter and the quilt on the website looks great. I'm up for the challenge

Zsofa

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 1:05 AM

I printed out the first pattern and it willbe 1/8th inch too small ?

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 16,270
Zsofia replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 8:57 AM

gini:

I printed out the first pattern and it willbe 1/8th inch too small ?

Gini,

Printers "scale" or "fit to page" when you print  from the internet make sure you set the printer on "print 100%". The same thing happened to me when I made the Mariner's Compass. I hope it helps.

Zsofia

Page 7 of 36 (531 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use