General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 532 Replies | 37 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 47,780

I found some of Carol doaks paper at the LQS, will look for the add a quarter ruler, I need all the help I can get. LOL

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 530
BenAdmin replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 10:29 AM

Hi everyone! I love paperpiecing and got interested in it when I saw the Sylvia's Bridal Quilt patterns.  It was a bit of a struggle to learn (so counterintuitive) but so much fun - and I love the results after I'm done.  The best part is we get to use up our scraps on something fun! 

Thanks for making this group!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 2:24 PM

Hi Caro.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

I have had trouble with getting the Carol Doak paper to go thru my printer.  Does anyone else have that problem and what can I do to make it work?

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 85

Some older printers seemed to have problems with paper feeding.  There can also be a problem if the rollers that grab the paper are worn.  Do you have problems with regular paper?  When I first started paper piecing I used regular typing paper.  Then I graduated to a paper put out by That Patchwork Place.  It was lighter weight and tore off easier after stitching.  Now I'm using a translucent foundation paper that I got from Nancy's Notions (item # TP100) and it's the best.  It is somewhat like vellum paper and the fact that you can see through it makes it so much easier lining up your fabric with the sewing line.  It also tears off very easily after sewing.  I've had no trouble with it feeding through the printer.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:53 AM

I spent hours going through the links you posted in pages Kris! Thank you so much!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 210

I have 2 of Carol Doak's books and a package of her paper. I have not been brave enough to try pp. I love to quilt and sew and have a wonderful building to do all of it in. I hope some of you will give me the boost I need to get going learning something new like paper piecing. Thanks for listening.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 30

I love this idea! I am an obsessive presser and it takes up too much time as I'm easily distracted. I'm going to try dry pressing and see if I can focus a bit more on the sewing. Thanks for the suggestion, Kris and thanks also for setting up this group. I started a Judy Niemeyer quilt last January. I convinced my quilting cousin to join me. She's much farther along than I am. We've decided to hunker down and finish it in the next few months. I think this group will help loads!!

Bernie Ryan

Brookfield, IL

When the sewing gets tough, the tough keep sewing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:45 PM

Hi Bernie,

You're welcome. I would love to see your project when you're ready to share. It's always good to have someone else working on the same project for motivation.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:46 PM

Grace Jackson:
I have not been brave enough to try pp.

Hello Grace. It's time to give it a try. It's really not too difficult. We'll cheer you on and help you along the way.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:48 PM

sharon150:

I have had trouble with getting the Carol Doak paper to go thru my printer.  Does anyone else have that problem and what can I do to make it work?

What kind of printer do you have Sharon? Try contacting customer service. Some HP printers were known to have feeding problems especially with freezer paper.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 1:49 PM

Joy:

I spent hours going through the links you posted in pages Kris! Thank you so much!

You're welcome Joy. Check back often. I'll try to update at least twice a week depending on how frequently I get new links etc.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 380

Hi Kris,

I'm just a bit confused.  Has this group already begun/done a project?  If so, can I still participate, catch up?  If not, will there be a group project?  Thanks in advance---for answering and moderating!  Namaste', Linda

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,976
Points 368,782
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:13 AM

Hi Linda,

no we have not started a group project. We're tossing around ideas and sharing past and/or present projects. There are links posted to websites and holiday blocks for those who wanted themed blocks. Some are enrolled in the Quick Strip Paper Piecing class on Craftsy. I played around with a pattern that some members liked so I posted a pdf for anyone who would like to have it.

Robin posted a link to a free Mariner's compass block that Gini suggested we do together.

That said, if there is something you will like to do please let us know. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

I have a fairly new Kodak printer.  Regular paper works fine and I've always been able to use Carol Doak paper until recently.  Maybe the rollers are worn.  I love paper piecing and in fact it is usually the only kind of quilting I do.  I am a fan of Jenny Doan and enjoy her Craftsy classes.  Am trying to "work outside the box" with some of her ideas.  There just isn't enough time in the day!

Page 2 of 36 (533 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use