Introduce Yourself

rated by 0 users
This post has 250 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Jan:
It is living between his computer and the TV. Lola.  And he helped bring it down

They are certainly slow sometimes aren't they? LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:05 PM

You girls are making me laugh!!!  How's it going Spudgrandma??  :-) :-)

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 620
Karen replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:24 PM

Hi I am Karen and i am a relatively new quilter... i bought a sewing machine on Black Friday and have done a few projects... I joined the BOM here on QCA and have not been able to get the PP block done, i dont quite get how you know what size to cut the pieces, and make it work out correctly... 

I have posted the blocks i have finished on my profile and in the BOM group...

hoping to figure this out soon... 

although today i have a busy day, being that its a weekend, and i am a single mom to a busy 7 year old daughter...  and today is the RAVENS game... and i am a die hard Ravens Fan... i bleed purple... 

I also am down a hand, i ran over my finger the other day for the first time and put a nice sized hole in my fingernail... OUCH,,, so my sewing is taking a hit \, maybe im scared i will do it again or maybe it just hurts... 

nice to meet you all... 

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:26 PM

Welcome Karen! There is at least one good tutorial if not 2 on pp that was posted. It will help you. There is also a pp group. I joined that group but haven't done anything with it but some of the girls have showed some pretty awesome blocks! Ouch...I feel your pain. But don't give up! It's sure a lot if fun! 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

Hi, I'm retired and just in the last year, started quilting. I try ,but not the greatest quilter but love, love, love quilting.  I like the groups on this site, its interesting, and fun to try new things even if the attempts fall flat. I have only paper pieced a few blocks but enjoyed the challenge!

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,568
Points 118,460

olfool:

Hi, I'm retired and just in the last year, started quilting. I try ,but not the greatest quilter but love, love, love quilting.  I like the groups on this site, its interesting, and fun to try new things even if the attempts fall flat. I have only paper pieced a few blocks but enjoyed the challenge!

Hi Olfool and welcome to the nuttiest bunch of quilters you will ever know. I could name names but I wouldn't know where to start or end. LOL. You will love this site. Don't be afraid to post pictures of your quilts, we love seeing what you are doing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 4:57 PM

Bienvenido Olfool,  Yo no soy experta pero es algo que amo hacer y regalar,  espero poder algún día poner algunas fotos de mi trabajo acá, no debes tener miedo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,707
Points 364,362
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 4:59 PM

Welcome Olfool.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 5:00 PM

Hola Karen que es Juego de Cuervos? en Guatemala no conocemos eso.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,707
Points 364,362
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 12:05 AM

Karen:
Hi I am Karen and i am a relatively new quilter... i bought a sewing machine on Black Friday and have done a few projects... I joined the BOM here on QCA and have not been able to get the PP block done, i dont quite get how you know what size to cut the pieces, and make it work out correctly... 

Welcome Karen

For paper piecing you need fabric pieces that will cover the shape on the paper pattern. Measure the shape and cut fabric to suit.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 7:16 AM

Welcome Karen:   I found that in paper piecing I cut my pieces a bit bigger than what is needed to cover the shape on the pattern.  If cutting instructions are included in the pattern, I still add about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to allow for "slippage"  What is hard for me is to remember to pin on the pattern side and not on the fabric, so sometimes I put my pin in when placing the fabric,  then turn it over and pin  and remove the pin underneath. I am making blocks using Carol Doak's Fabulous Fifty Stars and plan to make a quilt.  i think I will be needing 24 blocks and am almost halfway there.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 2,145
MNJen replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 3:37 PM

I'm looking to step up my paper piecing from the sampler quilt I did last year and hope this group can help conquer the questions I'm sure will come along.  I'm presently in the middle of messing around with New York Beauty blocks using some gorgeous fabric I was given at Christmas.  First time with curves, so I'm learning the hard way more often than not!  And since I suffer the "start another before you finish what's started already" disease, I'm resolving to do a Project of Doom HP quilt.  Patterns are printed and diving into the stash is next.  Can't wait to get going but I've got to do it on the sly....it will make the best present for my oldest next Christmas.  Plenty of time, right?  lol   ~jen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,707
Points 364,362
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 4:16 PM

Jen,

Welcome. Please share your sampler with us. I'd love to see it.

MNJen:
And since I suffer the "start another before you finish what's started already" disease,

Yes I know the disease well as I'm similarly inflicted. 

Yes there's plenty of time to get the PoD completed. I have to work on mine as well but no recipient in mind so no pressure here.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 40

I'm Marj & I fell in love with paper piecing when I signed up for  Don't call Me Betsy's Lucky Star BOM and did the practice block in December. I had thought that it would be difficult but I am really enjoying it.  I hope to learn more about it and how to design my own blocks.

Page 15 of 17 (251 items) «Prev1314151617Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use