Posts 13
Points 365

Thanks Vickie.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 365

Thanks Barbara, Lola, Ninette, and Carey. Yep, I'm having fun doing this quilt despite the anxiety over the yet-to-come quilting part. Oh well, I figure I can go as slow as I need to go until it's finished and my four year-old won't care much if it's perfect. Sorry if this is too large. Please let me know the max size and I will try to correct. If a mod does it, then I'm am just fine with that. This is of course only two rows of my patch work twin sized quilt. I'm still piecing and then I'll add either a dark gray or a black border on it. I'd like the backing to be black, but I'm still mulling it over.

• Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 3:41 PM

You are doing a wonderful job.  I Like your color choices.  Just a suggestion - for the backing I would not do a solid black.  Sometimes, even with the batting a dark color may show through in your white/cream? sashing strips.  A light gray floral as seen in one of the blocks would be great.  I always prefer a pattern in my backing, especially if I'm not confident about my quilting - hides a multitude of sins.  Whereas a solid backing will show your start and stop places if machine quilting, or short/long stitches (like mine) if hand quilting.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 5:25 PM

liammaxsmama:

Hi Cat.  Welcome to the group.  I love what you have done so far.   I agree that a medium or light print fabric would be a great choice for your backing.  The prints do hide a multitude of 'sins' and lighter colors won't distort the crisp look of your white sashing.  I'm sure you will enjoy your time here as there is always something going on. WooHoo!!  I'm always learning something new.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:15 PM

Black shows everything from lint to  troublesome quilting.  A small print is so much better.  You might also consider a cotton batting as it will make the quilt last longer as it won't rub the cotton fabric thin.  It is also easier to machine or hand quilt.  Gail in NH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:43 PM

Ninette:

Bienvenida gato,  puedes hacer maravillas, en mi familia nadie hace nada con máquina de coser, en la familia de mi esposo solo ropa y otros.  Mis amigas no saben de quilting, yo solo había visto en las películas.  En mi país solo hay 2 tiendas de tela para quilt y accesorios y es muy costoso, yo fuí a Sacramento y una amiga me llevó allá en 2000 a una tienda de quilt, yo me fasciné porque varias mujeres recibían una clase, compré mat, rotary, regla y ellas que eran personas maravillosas me regalaron un libro para empezar, yo no sé inglés.  En Guatemala solo daban clases en un lugar lejos y costoso,  tardé 5 años en encontrar un lugar que se ajustara a mi presupuesto y no fuera tan distante para mis clases, yo amo el quilt, gracias a Dios hoy con internet y el traductor puedo saber más. Adelante tu puedes!.  Ninette.  

Ninette, You have to love the internet, I;'m so gald you are able to do quilting ,We all love it so much. I do  have a translator on my computer so I'm able to read your messages . It is so good to have you with us ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,879
Points 366,977
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:49 PM

liammaxsmama:
This is of course only two rows of my patch work twin sized quilt. I'm still piecing and then I'll add either a dark gray or a black border on it. I'd like the backing to be black, but I'm still mulling it over.

I like what you have so far Cat. The colours/fabrics are lovely. No trouble with the size of the photo.

If you want the black back  go for it. Like you said, your four year old won't mind. Do what's pleasing to you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:38 AM

Mama.I love what you have done so far, very nice, I like the black for the backing and border,but I would use a black with a print,.The fabric on the middle bottom row is fabulous and the black print would be a great backing ,if you have enough It will help hide the quilting boo,boo's .I always have some.LOL  The more print you ue the better . . can't wait to see it finished . great job. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 365

Thanks to all you ladies, Lola, Barbara, Dara Beth, Kris, and Gail. I appreciate the advice and tips. It's given me something to think about and consider. I'm thinking about doing the Baptist Fan quilting pattern since with all the straight lines I felt like it would make this quilt a smudge more dynamic. What do you think?

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 1,580
Loxsis replied on Fri, May 4 2012 12:26 PM

Hi

I go by Loxsis here,  and I am a huge paper piecing fan.  I've done lots of Mariners compasses,and I have a couple of good pattern books,  But My favorite one has gone missing  "Easy Machine Paper Piecing".  I think it got put in Recycle by mistake, so if U have a copy to sell,  please let me know. 

I am 57, married (happily) and we live in Colorado.  I started quilting about 12+ years ago, when I became too sick to work, and part of it is Fibromyalgia, and osteo-arthritis, but right now I'm having trouble with Carpal Tunnel in my right hand.  I love quilting, and am thoroughly obsessed with it.  I want to try a New York Beauty block and have found a pattern for a wallhanging in one of my older magazines.  Is anyone interested??  I am going to post some of my paper-piecing projects for you all to see

• Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Fri, May 4 2012 5:34 PM

Hi Loxsis!  Welcome to the group!!!   We always love seeing each other's projects so please, please post some of yours for us to oohhh, and aaahhh over.  I've only recently gotten the paper piecing bug.  I love it. We have a couple of projects under way but it is never too late to start.  We'd love to have you join us.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,879
Points 366,977
Kris replied on Fri, May 4 2012 6:39 PM

Welcome Loxsis. It's good to have you with us.

We're currently running two group projects, a compass BOM and a Harry Potter project. Look in pages for links etc. and check our discussions and media files for photos etc.

I've made one NYB block as part of a sampler but it was hand pieced not foundation pieced. Perhaps some of the early finishers on the other projects would like to try something new.

We would love to see photos of your projects. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, May 4 2012 6:42 PM

Hi welcome to the group. I am definitely interested in the NY Beauty Block thru paper piecing. I haven't been practicing with the others. THe last two days I have been designing various quilts on eq so I have been working on something. But I would def be able to do a block if you are doing a whole quilt maybe I can do a smaller version of one.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 907
Points 16,795

Welcome Sheri!  You will become addicted once you get started.  The Craftsy class will be a great beginning & Carol Doak's book is great.  The most difficult part is sewing #1 & #2, but once you get it started, the rest is a piece of cake!  Happy PPing.  This is a great group when you have questions or need help, so be sure to ask.

replied on Fri, May 4 2012 10:37 PM

Welcome Loxsis,  glad you have joined us.  Paper piecing is so much fun and indeed addicting. I have done several New York Beauties. They are my favorite ones to do...I would love to see your Mariners Compass.  Please share when you can!

Page 10 of 17 (251 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use