rated by 0 users
This post has 250 Replies | 50 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 400
Vickie replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 2:02 PM

Hi, Annie,

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

Vickie

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 8:56 PM

Welcome Annie. Thank you for joining us.

I look forward to your Mariner's Compass. It certainly is our most popular pattern to date.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 365

Hi. My name is Cat and I am paper piecing my first quilt. No one in my family quilts or sews or does any handcrafts really. My husband's family is far more familiar with traditional handcrafts. Unfortunately, I live at least three hours away from them so I do not have the benefit of learning from them. I have three boys, 11, 8, and 4 so going to a quilting group isn't really a viable option right now either. In time, I hope to be able to do this. I have wanted to learn to quilt for a long time and have finally just gotten over any anxiety about messing up. I have the internet, a cell phone to call my MIL, and now I have you guys. I hope to improve my skills and further my appreciation of hand crafts. Thank you. I'm glad to be here!

Cat

• Post Points: 125
replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 10:22 PM

Hi Cat, Welcome to the group. Lots of friendly help here.  Jump right in...  

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 900
Points 16,680

Welcome Cat!  This is a great group.  I have learned a lot here & continue to get better.  I'm addicted to PP.   I can only recommend that you don't give up if you get frustrated (we are our own worst critic)!  The more you do, the better you get at it.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650

liammaxsmama:
I have the internet, a cell phone to call my MIL, and now I have you guys. I hope to improve my skills and further my appreciate of hand crafts.

Welcome Cat. If you're looking to improve your skills, learn new ones or just chat anything quilting, you've come to the right place. I can't even begin to list all the things I've learned since joining in 2009.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 12:07 AM

liammaxsmama:
In time, I hope to be able to do this. I have wanted to learn to quilt for a long time and have finally just gotten over any anxiety about messing up.

Welcome Cat.

Yes you can do this. Don't worry about messing up, we all do it, it's part of the learning process. Ask questions and don't be afraid to jump in and try new things we'll help and cheer you on along the way.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 4:05 AM

Cat, welcome to the group, You are gonna do just fine. this is such a great place to learn and there are so many helpful folks here, Never hesitate to ask a question, One of us will have an answer for you . Look forward to seeing your first quilt. OH ! and the most important  rule ..Have Fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:42 AM

Welcome, Cat.  The first paper-pieced block I did was a star from 50 Fabulous Stars by Carol Doak.  I messed up - by not reading the directions.  I cut the blocks on the sewing line instead of adding 1/4" as instructed.  Needless to say, my star points are not as crisp as they should be.  It was beautiful anyway, I quilted that one block, bound with black fabric and it is now a wall handing.  Looks great.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,355
Ninette replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:50 AM

Bienvenida gato,  puedes hacer maravillas, en mi familia nadie hace nada con máquina de coser, en la familia de mi esposo solo ropa y otros.  Mis amigas no saben de quilting, yo solo había visto en las películas.  En mi país solo hay 2 tiendas de tela para quilt y accesorios y es muy costoso, yo fuí a Sacramento y una amiga me llevó allá en 2000 a una tienda de quilt, yo me fasciné porque varias mujeres recibían una clase, compré mat, rotary, regla y ellas que eran personas maravillosas me regalaron un libro para empezar, yo no sé inglés.  En Guatemala solo daban clases en un lugar lejos y costoso,  tardé 5 años en encontrar un lugar que se ajustara a mi presupuesto y no fuera tan distante para mis clases, yo amo el quilt, gracias a Dios hoy con internet y el traductor puedo saber más. Adelante tu puedes!.  Ninette.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:09 AM

Welcome to the group and the website Cat. You will like it here. I use it all the time as my quilting group instead of local ones due to my work and constanly changing schedule at times of being a home health aide. It is great place to learn and express yourself. Since joining I have joiend about 7 groups lol plus contribue to the local message boards in general when I can.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 400
Vickie replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:23 AM

Welcome, Cat.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 365

Thanks. It seems pretty friendly already. I'm pretty excited about that.

Cat

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 365

Hi Judy. I have to admit that I'm fairly addicted already. My DH is very encouraging of this and tolerates my quilting fever pretty well.

Cat

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 365

Thanks Kris. Yep, I've pretty much just plunged in and decided that it is OK to let my first quilt be a learning experience and that it won't be perfect, but as long as I improve, it will all be worth it.

Cat

Page 9 of 17 (251 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use