Welcome Sally.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,907
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 7:26 PM

Hello Betty,

welcome to the group. I'm not a fan of EPP myself but would like to see some of your work.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,907
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 7:29 PM

Welcome Mary. You've posted just right. Thanks for joining us.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 1,100
Cathy J replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:38 PM

I love the tree. I'm new to paper piecing but I'm loving it. I sat down the other day and played with a project I found on you tube. And last night I found some other blocks to use as practice.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 400
Vickie replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:01 PM

Hi, I'm Vickie. I paper piece almost exclusively. I've been paper piecing since 2004.

The method for piecing the quadrants is to:

Use this method to join the blocks as well as the sections/quadrants of an individual block.

This method assumes the paper is still on the blocks and that the seam allowance is marked on the paper. If the seam marks are not on the paper, take the time to put a pencil point mark or an x that crosses exactly at the spot where the 1/4 " seams come together in the corners of the blocks. You also want to mark the 1/4" at any place where the sections/quadrants meet.

1 Line up the pieces the best you can.

2 Stab a pin straight through the top block/section/quadrant into the bottom block/section/quadrant right at the seam allowance corners where the two pieces are to join. Each pin only goes through each of the sections one time.

3. Place a pin in the same method at each matching point.

4. Carefully keeping the pins straight, slide a very fine pin into the block in the normal manner. At least one pin at each corner and matching point. You may add as many pins as you wish in between. Be very careful not to push the blocks out of alignment.

5 Install your walking foot

6. lengthen your stitch length and baste the pieces together do not backstitch or stitch in place. This is just a temporary easier to remove stitching if you need to try again.

7 Check the seam if it lines up the way it should shorten the stitch length to 1.8 (12-15 stitches per inch) and restitch.

8. Carefully remove the seam where needed and realign any places that need adjustment.

Repeat steps 2 through 6 until you're satisfied and can perform step 7 and no longer need step 8.

If the paper begins to tear, use removable/temporary tape to keep together. Remove tape before ironing.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,907
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:16 AM

Welcome Vickie.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Jan 22 2012 8:54 PM

Hi Vicki! Welcome!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,036
Points 65,540
Robin replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 5:37 PM

Welcome Vicki

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 147
Points 3,260
Marque replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:06 PM

Hi,

My name is Marque. I have been quilting for 15 years, teaching quilting for about 8 years. I have been doing paper piecing for a good number of years now and really love the precision of it.

So, is everyone working on their own projects or is there a group project?

Marque

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,907
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 18 2012 12:24 AM

Welcome Marque.

We will be working on a group project starting March first. The project is the "Harry Potter Project of Doom". If you go to this group's home page you'll see a list on the right side. Click on "pages" to see what projects are available. 

Feel free to work on your own and share with the group if none of this tickles your fancy. If you have an interesting link or pattern to share with the group let us know. I add to "pages" so thing will be easy to find.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 8:20 PM

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty new to paper piecing.  My Sister does it all the time but I've only done 1 or 2 small blocks myself.  I'm looking for a fun way to learn more about it and to get some practice.  It looks like you are all getting ready to start a new project so I've come at the right time.  I'm looking forward to joining in the fun!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,821
Points 365,907
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 2:11 AM

Welcome Dara Beth.

We have started two group projects; Harry Potter and a Mariner's Compass mystery. Check out the discussions to find photos and links. If you look in "Pages" and the group's blog you'll find other projects that may interest you.

Whatever you do have fun.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:37 PM

Welcome Dara Beth! I am new to paper piecing as well. I have only done 1 project...and I addicted already! Look forward to doing our PP projects with you!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
Sally Kalb replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:31 AM

Hi Dara Beth,

I know you will love paper piecing.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes addictive.  It is the best way to get sharp points and perfect angles.  Have fun and keep practicing!

Sally

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 7:35 PM

Thanks Kris, Joy & Sally  for the welcome. 

I went to JoAnn's during lunch today and got the background fabric for the Harry Potter quilt.   I'm hoping to try my first block this weekend.  I think it helps to have a project to work on.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Page 7 of 17 (251 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use