Kris replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:18 AM

Welcome Kim, Linda and Arlis.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,845
Points 248,959
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 5:21 AM

Linda ,Grace and Arlis  welcome to the group,  I just did finish my very first PP project. Alot of us are taking the Strip Paper piecing class by Peggy Martin ,On the Craftsy Web site,  which is a really big help and she is a great teacher, plus we are all working here with Kris for leadership and encouragement. I hope you will enjoy some of the things we all hope to get done .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,820

susandf:

Hi.

An Adult ADHDer from the Arizona Desert.

I found Paper/Foundation Piecing to help me be able to finish projects. 

This one is a Paper Pieced New York Beauty that uses a variety of sizes of fabric pieces.  I was fortunate to have been given some very small pieces of fabric from my grandmother's stash and incorporated them into this quilt.

My long arm quilter did a fabulous job quilting it.

Susan, thank you for sharing.  Your quilt is wonderful.  Making it must have been an adventure.  I like all the additional info on it on your web site as well.  If anyone out there didn't click on her signature link ... do it, you'll be glad you did!!

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 20
replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 10:40 AM

This is one beautiful quilt!  I love the colors and the story behind it!  Very talented!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 100
cece replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:03 PM

Hi! Just came across this group and decided to join.  I have done pp before and in fact made a twin size quilt but it was hard and I made lots of mistakes.  I have not tried another since.  I have done lots of applique work which I really enjoy but I want to give this a try again.  I need to find a pattern and I believe I will look for a Carol Doak book.

Hope to have something soon to show. 

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:07 PM

susan , your quilt is wownderful and, yes, the LAer did a great job

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:49 AM

Welcome Cece. There are links and patterns in "pages" that might help get you on your way. Just go to the group home page. Let us know if we can help.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 1,900
Gina C replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:02 PM

I haven't done any paper piecing, and still not sure if I will, but thought I would check this out, and maybe try to learn it in case I run across something I want to make that calls for paper piecing.  I'm sure it would be a good technique to know.  I did look at a block that used paper pieceing, so feel like I have a vague idea how it works.  I just haven't used it.

• Post Points: 35
replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:19 PM

Hi Gina,WELCOME, you think like me. I felt like it was to much trouble to do paper piecing. I actually only do paper piecing to make quilts that have the sharp points.  I just recently learned how to paper piece. I love it now but will still only use it for sharp points or strange blocks. This is a great group. Candis

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:20 PM

Hi Cece, I have been quilting for about 8 years now, but have always avoided paper piecing.  One of my quilting sisters brought a kit she had cut out of one of the carol Doak stars.  I really enjoyed doing it, so I purchased the book  - 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars, and now I have about six stars cut out and ready to start piecing.  I copied the pattern on my copy machine, then took 4 pieces of Carol Doaks paper pieceing paper to my sewing machine and stitched without thread.  Then I numbered the pieces and drew in the seam allowance and viola, ready to sew.  Doing it this way has two benefits:  1) saves ink on the printer. ad 2) makes the paper easier to remove.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:25 PM

Hello Gina,

it's always good to have a few more trick up your sleeve.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70

I have just joined the group.  I have done several paper piecing projects and they turned out nicely.  Yet, whenever I haven't worked on any for awhile, it seems as if I have to learn all over again.  Once you get started, you fall into a routine and it goes rather quickly.  Make sure that you have your iron set up close to your work station and sewing machine.

Sally Kalb

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:33 PM

Sally Kalb:

...Yet, whenever I haven't worked on any for awhile, it seems as if I have to learn all over again.  Once you get started, you fall into a routine and it goes rather quickly.  Make sure that you have your iron set up close to your work station and sewing machine.

Sally Kalb

Ack! Sally, Isn't that called Alzheimer's?? It's not funny but, oh my...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 190

I'm relatively new to EPP, but I am addicted to it.  I started with small hexagons and am making Grandmother's Flower Garden which is very basic and very lovely.  I am a retired paralegal who has been a crafter since I was a small child.  Bead weaving was my passion until a couple of years ago when I came back to quilting and now I can be found in my sewing room at every free minute.  I have two machines now and a serger that I don't know how to use yet.  My son gave me a sewing machine and the serger for Christmas.  I didn't understand why anyone would need more than one machine, but it sure is nice not to have to remove the quilting foot in order to do some regular sewing.  I found Paper Pieces in Sycamore, IL and have purchased many of their patterns.  They also sell hexagons, diamonds, and all other shapes including the dresden which I love.  Paper Piecing is very restful for me and it allows me to be with my husband in the evening; while still sewing.  There is so much more to learn about piecing and I've decided to really concentrate on learning to do it properly and make some gifts for my family.  I'm going to visit my sister in Phoenix later this month and my hexagons are coming with me, another nice thing about EPP.  Well I certainly did ramble on.  I hope I can contribute something to this new group and I know that I will learn things.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 550

First, I apologize if I am not posting this the right way. You would think that someone who has worked in the computer field would automatically know all there is about all the technology out there, but I have been out of the field for a while and it is hard to keep up. Anyway,,,,,I have done a little paper piecing, just to try it. I have not completed a project using the technique yet. The little bit that I did try I enjoyed so I am anxious to see what I can actually accomplish in this area. 

Mary

Page 6 of 17 (251 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use