Robin replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 7:35 AM

Welcome Joy!

Robin

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Hello everyone.  I am a crazy quilter at heart and only do foundation piecing. 

My struggle with paper piecing is the uniformity of it.  The concept is beautiful but I find that I love to have each and every block I create be unique.  Even if I try to piece something the same way twice, it usually ends up slightly different and that pleases me.  Guess I am just made that way. 

I have recently branched to using pages from the phone book for foundation in a moment of despiration.  I was working on a project and had no appropriate foundation material in the house.  It was late at night and I had read Bonnie Hunter's instructions for string piecing for the MQ.  Because I was doing CQ blocks which needed to be squared and joined, the pages worked fine.  Not sure I enjoy removing paper when blocks are completed but I will get past that.

As Gini posted in the Inspiration thread, I am hoping to take some of the blocks and put them together into a larger project which is more of a sampler.  I love some of the Christmas blocks that have been shared and think I will work on some of these to put into table runners or placemats for next year's gifting.

I truly do love the percision in corners with paper piecing and hope that this group will help me get past my fear of joining perfect corners.  That seemed to be my first draw to CQ.  When me blocks weren't perfectly aligned, it didn't matter because it was CQ.  I would like to maybe do traditional quilting if I can bring myself past the corner issues and the same blocks over and over.

Looking forward to what Kris has to share with us.  As stated multiple times, Kris, thank you for your time invested into this group.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,917
Points 124,925

Hi Darlene. Glad you joined us.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sat, Dec 24 2011 11:04 AM

I have been non-stop on the internet searching for everything pp and found more than what I first imagined. I am ordering 2 books Kris suggested from Amazon after Christmas. I am looking forward to cuddling with a cup of coffee tomorrow and reading everything I found! Thanks all!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 25 2011 3:36 AM

Hi Darlene,

Welcome to the group. I think each quilter has a technique that he/she is not crazy about but it's nice to call on it once in a while. 

I know a lot of people who hate to remove paper at the end of a paper pieced project. I actually like this part when sitting watching football or at work killing time.

There are water soluble papers that will wash out. I haven't tried any so I can't recommend one but I did hear good things about Paper Solvy from Sulky. You might be able to find it at JoAnn's.

There's also a product called Fun-Dation that you can leave in or tear out. I really like this product but it can be difficult to tear. I think it would also work well for stabilising crazy quilt blocks without adding too much weight.

Remember, you don't have to make an entirely paper pieced quilt you may use it for certain elements.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Kris:
Remember, you don't have to make an entirely paper pieced quilt

Kris, thank you for your encouraging words.  I hadn't thought about using paper piecing as an element within a total project but have been inspired by all the wonderful blocks you put on the pages.  I see many possiblities for incorporating them into crazy quilted Christmas projects for next year.  I have saved them into a file on my computer so that I can assess and begin when I am able.

Thanks also for the foundation links.  I am going to try doing some again to see if it was just the paper I used which made the removal of paper the challenge.  I have read wonderful comments on Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt about using pages from the phone book. I think this will be easier to remove and reduce the frustration for me.

Because I do crazy quilting, I tend to be less structured in my uniformity and am hoping that having the general block outline and progression will allow me to free form somethings.  I love the concept of each block being slightly different.  I want to do some Valentine table runners with a heart in the center.  There was a heart on one of the websites you shared which I think will give me a start for what I want to do.  Would also like to do placemats which have heart on one side and spring on other.  I think these will be popular and good for sales in January.

Thanks again for your dedication to this group.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 2:59 PM

Sounds good Darlene. I have a set of pattern called "A Year of Placemats". I think I downloaded them somewhere. Never made any though. I think they will be popular. Can't wait to see what you do.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Hello.

I've been quilting off  and on for several years and even more since I retired in 2009.  I've started a Double Wedding Ring Quilt (king size)  with the QCA group and It's  about half completed.   I may keep this one for myself.  I've always been intrigued with paper piecing.  

signed up for the Craftsy class on paper piecing and discovered I loved it after the first session. I made several of the blocks for the 1st session and then I watched the rest of the series.   I'm excited to do more, but right now I'm visiting my daughter in Maryland to await the birth of their first child and my first grandchild.  I traveled from the San Antonio, Texas area on 12/19 to be here in Severn, Maryland  to help out, so I'm without most of my sewing supplies.   Our little girl should arrive any day now.  

In my free time here as we wait,  I've read a lot of information about PP methods online,  watched some of the UTube videos demonstrations,  and downloaded some free patterns.  I will be going home on 1/26 so plan on really getting started then.  I've also ordered a couple of books.   

My goal for 2012 is to make a quilt for my son who is getting married Memorial Day weekend this year in Pittsburgh, PA.  I continue to browse in search of the perfect pattern.  Any suggestions?   

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,770
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:36 PM

Hi Patricia,

Very exciting waiting for your first grandchild!  I hope she arrives safely.  I'm also from the SA area and just today was looking at the Blue Bonnet Shop Hop stores and the Las Colchas web site says "If you are intersted in or would like to learn how to paper piece, please call us at Las Colchas."  They're also doing a Paper Piecing club at Memories by the Yard on the first Saturday of the month... in case you're interested!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 11:11 PM

Patricia Faye:
signed up for the Craftsy class on paper piecing and discovered I loved it after the first session.

Welcome Patricia.

Thanks for joining us. I'm glad that you enjoy paper piecing. Will we be seeing some beautiful blocks from you soon? Congrats on the pending new addition to your family. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 7:03 AM

Welcome Patricia,

Congrats on your first grandchild.   I know that your daughter is delight to have her mom there, it was the best gift anyone gave me when I had my daughters.   Have a sweet and precious visit.   Whenever, I plan a quilt for someone I try to match the passion or interest.  Since this couple is apparently passionate about each other I would suggest something that symbolizes their love.    This is a great sight to look at patterns:  http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/2009/12/free-quilt-block-patterns.html.   Some are paper piece some are not.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Thank you so much Robin.  I will definitely check this one out. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Thank you for the welcome Kris.  As soon as I get home in late January, I plan to get started sewing.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 17,435

Thank you for the welcome & the information Debbie-do.  We live in Lakehills about 2 blocks from Medina Lake so we are a little over 20 miles from Culebra & 1604 not too far from Hwy 151.  I've been to Memories by the Yard (I think that maybe the closest one) & the shop in Bandera is probably too, but haven't been there.  I'll have to make a day of it and check out some of the other stores in San Antonio...Will also try the Blue Bonnet Shop Hop in 2012.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 80
Becky replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 11:34 AM

Hello everyone.  I am a cancer survivor & a fairly new quilter from Central Florida.  I've only been quilting since June of 2010 & I've made a lot of great things & learned a whole lot in that time.  I love the mariners blocks I see & of course Judy Neimeyer's work!  I've done stitch in the ditch & meandering for the FMQ so far, but hope to learn more this year.  However my priority after the present project I didn't get done in time for Christmas is the paper piecing.  I've got some of the special paper & the learning to paper piece book by Carol Doak to try it.  I'm hoping by joining this group that if I get stuck, someone here can help me out & get me going again. 

Page 3 of 17 (251 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use