Introduce Yourself

rated by 0 users
This post has 250 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:47 AM

Thanks Kris. I have made 1 pp block and made many mistakes will doing it. I am looking forward to making more with some help and more understanding of what I am doing.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:44 PM

Thanks for joining us Pat, Sherri and Penny.

Are there any specific areas you'll like to address?

Pat are your quadrants the correct size? When joining these pieces do you still have the paper on them?

If you do pin when the seams are supposed to match up at the start and end of the seam. Do a basting stitch by lengthening your sewing machine stitch. Sew then check to see how things fit. If they look good then re-sew with the normal stitch length.

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 642
Points 16,275
Zsofia replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:27 PM

Kris,

Thanks for getting this group together. I love paper foundation piecing. My favorite block is the New York Beauty... just love the spikes. My goal for next year to complete 2 of Karen K Stone's patterns (I have her books and patterns ready to go ) I made 2 quilts with this technique you can check it out at my gallery: mini New York Beauty and Millefiori. Looking forward to be inspired and learn more.

Zsofia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 2:47 PM

Welcome Zsofia. I like the New York Beauty block as well. I've only made one so far. Your quilts are stunning. Very nice work.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 7:23 AM

Hello my name is Robin.   I've done one complete paper piece by machine and am currently doing one by hand.  I hoping this group will help me finish the one I'm doing my hand for my daughter.  I've been at in awhile and I need to finish it.  This year I would also like to improve my skills on the machine.  It has always been my goal to do a Mariner's Compass for my brother who is retired Navy.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 9:19 AM

Thank you Kris for moderating.  Paper piecing is all I would do when I started quilting because it was so easy and regular piecing intimidated me.  Now that regular piecing doesn't scare me any more (free motion quilting has taken its place)... I haven't done any paper piecing for a while.  Clearly I have a lot to learn in the world of quilting so I'm hoping to do just that... learn more about paper piecing. 

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Living in Wyoming for a few more months then moving to Virginia to be closer to our son and family. Just signed up for a quick strip paper pieceing class with Peggy Martin in Craftsy http://www.sympoz.com/class/catalog.html. It is an online course and you can watch and pause it as many times as you want. So far have made 3 of the blocks and it is going quite well. Will post when have something completed. Thanks Kris for starting this group.

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 2:49 PM

Hi Kathie,

thanks for joining us.

I have Peggy Martin's book so i skipped the class. She has a DVD out as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 2:52 PM

Welcome Robin,

I made a small Mariner's compass block for the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt. I really like it and would like to do more like it. 

We'll all work together to improve.

Jodie Davis is high into paper piecing and I have one of her books. I think she invented curved paper piecing, a technique I'd like to try.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 2:54 PM

Debbie,

I learned paper piecing early in my quilting and have always loved it. I've just branched into string piecing and I'm loving it. I'm hoping we'll have fun together here.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,770

I'll have to get the pieces out and look them over. It has been a while since I made them so am not sure. I'm at work now so will look after I get home.

Kris:

Pat are your quadrants the correct size? When joining these pieces do you still have the paper on them?

If you do pin when the seams are supposed to match up at the start and end of the seam. Do a basting stitch by lengthening your sewing machine stitch. Sew then check to see how things fit. If they look good then re-sew with the normal stitch length.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 605
karraftt replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 1:35 PM

Hello everyone! I am so glad there is now a group for this kind of thing! I can't wait to try a new project in paper piecing! My daughter has been itching to try this too! Thank you Kris for moderating this and I can't wait to start a new project with all of you lovely ladies (and possibly gentlemen)!

Karen

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 4:54 PM

Welcome Karen to the group.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 9:36 PM

Hello all! I am thankful for this group! Making a paper pieced quilt is one of my 'quilty' goals for the new year and I have no clue how to do it!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 21 2011 11:54 PM

Welcome Karen and Joy.

Joy,

There are a few tutorials floating around on the internet. I'm trying to find a really good one to add to "pages". In the meantime look around and ask questions of us here. 

Page 2 of 17 (251 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use