Introduce Yourself

rated by 0 users
This post has 250 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris Posted: Fri, Dec 16 2011 2:36 PM

Please use this thread to tell the group about yourself and what you would like to achieve with us.

• Post Points: 650
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 9:12 PM

Learning to paper piece was one of my 2011 resolutions.  With 2012 rapidly approaching, this group comes none too soon!  I have read about PP methods and ordered a Carol Doaks book, but I have yet to actually try it.  Just this week I signed up for the Craftsy class on paper piecing, too, so I've got my bases covered and 2012 will be the year of PP for me!

Would anyone care to suggest a good starting project?  My ultimate goal would be to work up to one of Judy Niemeyer's quilts!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 9:31 PM

I have done a few PP blocks.  The first was a house block from one of the Sulky books about 10 years ago.  I saw a demonstration and went right home to try it.   Forgot how to do it.  Then last year my lqs did an introduction to PP, I did 2 cute 3" blocks and, you guessed it, I forgot how to do it AGAIN!!    This time I am determined to work on it enough to not forget -- if thats possible.  

Thank you Kris for being our leader!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 10:17 PM

I just would like to learn how to do it ,I have seen such beautiful work done by paper piecing ,and it scares me ,so guess its time to jump in and learn, I have  no specific project to do I just want to learn how. I to have signed up for the class on craftsy but have not started it yet , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,561
Points 118,395

I am so confused with paper piecing. Today I browsed a couple paper piecing books at Joann's but they were just patterns and didn't give much instruction. Or, if they did, it went right over my head. I did one small paper piecing project a couple years ago in a class. I didn't really understand what I was doing and just followed the instructor. It turned out great but once I was turned loose I was lost and haven't attempted one since. Give me a row of numbers to add up or a profit and loss statement and I'm right at home. I'm hoping this group will get me going in the right direction.

Thanks Kris for starting the group. I hope others are as much a clueless novice as I am.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:02 PM

MNnancy:
My ultimate goal would be to work up to one of Judy Niemeyer's quilts!

That's a great goal Nancy. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:03 PM

Maggie:
Thank you Kris for being our leader!

You're welcome Maggie.

Post some of your blocks in media (or right here) for us to ooh and aah over. I think after a long time you'll need to brush the cobwebs off any technique but it comes back quickly.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:06 PM

Barbara:

I just would like to learn how to do it ,I have seen such beautiful work done by paper piecing ,and it scares me ,so guess its time to jump in and learn, I have  no specific project to do I just want to learn how. I to have signed up for the class on craftsy but have not started it yet , Barbara

Yes Barbara,

jump right in. The class on crafts uses strips. You'll find that paper piecing "wastes" fabric a bit so buy extra for those projects.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:08 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Thanks Kris for starting the group. I hope others are as much a clueless novice as I am.

You're welcome Judy T. 

We'll try to set you straight. The hardest part of PP for most who have difficulty is the idea that you're creating a mirror image of the pattern as you work from the back (paper side).

We'll work together to make it less confusing. We can start with something that has few pieces then work up to larger, more complex pieces.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:09 PM

Welcome to you all. I hope it's a positive learning experience.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:21 AM

this is a little paper pieced pine tree i found online and made last night.  it is easy, went quickly, and i'm glad i didn't forget everything i knew about it.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:39 AM

Thanks for sharing Gini.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,785

I tried paper piecing and made a block I found it a magazine. The quadrants are very nice, crisp point and all. However, the quadrants don't match up and I have no idea what I did wrong. I also signed up for the Craftsy course, but haven't started. I am in the process of doing the Farmer's Wife blocks and think some of them really need to be pp so want to learn.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:04 AM

Thank you for starting this group, Kris :-)

I bought the Craftsy class on paper piecing last week and ordered a book by Carol Doak that is due to arrive on Monday.  This is something I have been wanting to try for a while.  I'm working hard to finish a couple projects before starting the Craftsy class.  Hopefully, after the holidays!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995
PennyWyo replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:31 AM

Thanks for moderating, Kris.  I am just looking forward to understanding paper piecing.  There are lots of blocks available on Quilt Blocks Galore I would like to be able to do.  I also have a book that paper pieces all kinds of animals.  I tried, but think I used up way to much fabric and still had problems.  So I would like to start small and then build.  Maybe a table runner or wall hanging to start with?  I've seen some of Judy Neighmeyer (think I mispelled that) and am terrified.

Looking forward to starting a project but first of the year would be the preference.  Will float with anything, though.  Thanks again.

Penny

Page 1 of 17 (251 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use