Step 1 discussion and questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 134 Replies | 44 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 722
Points 18,130

Here's what I'm thinking of.  Nana, is there too much contrast between fabrics 1 and 2?  And does it make a difference whether 1 or 2 is darker?   Thanks.

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,358
Points 28,605

I like everyone's fabrics so far in whichever discussion I have seen them in.  I looked out some fabrics last night and have a couple of possible combinations, but have not checked yardages so far.  Yesterday was the first day I had been home all week so I needed to do some housework - - - ugh!!! - - - and sort some over-ripe peaches we got Saturday.  Some were needing to be used up, so I make a peach pie and a blackberry pie of the last of the wild blackberries.  In between "chores" I looked through my stash that I could get to and picked a pile of possibilities.  Maybe I can get some time tomorrow to choose something.  After buying fabrics for the Loyal Union Soldier Sampler, I need to make this one from stash.  As I have recently stocked up on whites and neutrals, I at least have a background.  Need to find 2 others that don't clash with each other with enough yardage. 

I will try the strip tube method of HSTs but don't have the ruler.  I have others which I can adapt for the same use (hopefully).  Bias doesn't bother me, especially if I starch well.  This will be my experiment in this method.  Hope it works as I use HSTs a lot!  Will post picture of fabrics when I decide what I will use.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 45
Kim replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 3:52 PM

I like everyone's choices as well. Wondering if I can use two fabrics that read the same for the 2 7/8 - don't have a piece big enough for that that I want to sue in this project. 

Kim

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:45 PM

Bridgit-Carol

Your fabrics are very pretty and will work just fine.   I don't think it will matter which one you use as fabric #1 and #2.  

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 4:47 PM

Kim

If your 2 pieces of fabrics look basically the same you should be alright.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 722
Points 18,130

Marsha-SM:

I will try the strip tube method of HSTs but don't have the ruler.  I have others which I can adapt for the same use (hopefully).  Bias doesn't bother me, especially if I starch well.  This will be my experiment in this method.  Hope it works as I use HSTs a lot!  Will post picture of fabrics when I decide what I will use.

I do have the ruler now, but for several string tube quilts, I've just used a regular square 6-1/2" ruler.  Worked just great.  Jenny on MSQC has a tutorial on doing it that way. 

The last one I made I used a flying geese ruler, making sure the top part was on the seam, instead of the very top of the fabric.  Also worked very well.

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,358
Points 28,605

Brigit-Carol:

I do have the ruler now, but for several string tube quilts, I've just used a regular square 6-1/2" ruler.  Worked just great.  Jenny on MSQC has a tutorial on doing it that way. 

The last one I made I used a flying geese ruler, making sure the top part was on the seam, instead of the very top of the fabric.  Also worked very well.

Thanks for the tips.  I have my 6 1/2" ruler ready to use.  I have the Companion Angle ruler also.  Need to make a few HST with 3" strip tubes using both rulers and see what one works better.  I am always up for a challenge AND making something simpler. 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

I think I have finally picked my colors.  Not at all what I thought I would do, but I have enough of each of these. If I can find a better teal I will use it, but i don't want to buy anything.  Trying to use up my stash.

Martha, Parker, CO

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,878
Points 32,590
Roxana replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 9:42 AM

Like Martha, I'm trying to use my stash too. Will these three work? I have other prints from this collection that I can use in the borders but not enough for the quilt. I have enough of the yellow for backing. I'm hoping they aren't too plain or mottled. I have three 1-yard pieces of flowers with the dark rose color similar to the yellow backing that I could combine for one of the fabrics. Nana, will this work?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 9:46 AM

Martha, I love your colors and if you find you donn't like the finished quilt I will send you my address. Just kidding you will love it.

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 11:18 AM

Martha

I think your fabrics are really pretty and they blend together so nicely.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 11:20 AM

Roxana

Very pretty fabrics.   They will work beautifully.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 498
Points 10,010
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 1:16 PM

Ok ...here we go...was able to put enough fabric together from my stash...was actually about 3 inches short on fabric 1 but was able to get the 21 strips cut....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,185
Points 18,175
weezee56 replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 4:07 PM

Martha Haines:
I think I have finally picked my colors.

I really like your colors

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,185
Points 18,175
weezee56 replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 4:09 PM

tnmtgrl:
Ok ...here we go...was able to put enough fabric together from my stash...
I love your fabrics. Blue is my favorite color.

Page 5 of 9 (135 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use