General Discussion and Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 325
KathyF replied on Wed, Sep 25 2013 5:18 PM

MNnancy--I am also from Minnesota, I live just north of Mpls. Anxious for the next step. I did Mystery #8. Turned out really nice. I'm glad this one doesn't have the tiny pieces. I made it as a prayer quilt for a friend with breast cancer.

Kathy F

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 625
SherrieLM replied on Wed, Sep 25 2013 6:52 PM

Diana-

What a wonderful idea to cut smaller HSTs from the scraps. I wish the garbage man hadn't come already and taken my scraps away! I love these discussion threads - I have learned SO MUCH from all the ideas that are swirling around. I too concur with the Strip Tube Ruler method - what a wonderful way to make a tedious process fun and quick. I did each tube one at a time to provide a little variation - sew, cut, press, then do it again. I was amazed at how fast the perfect HSTs piled up. I did measure the first one to be sure you really didn't need to square them up (you don't) and then made sure I was doing scant 1/4" seams. Between the June Tailor Shape Cut mat I learned about in Mystery Quilt #8 and the Strip Tube Ruler, I must have shaved my cutting time by at least 1/2......and they look so good. I had just finished doing 432 HSTs for another quilt the old-fashioned way, so I REALLY felt the difference.

Thank you, Nana!!!!

SherrieLM

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 25 2013 9:12 PM

I have always loved the patterns using HSTs but hated doing all the triangles.  Not anymore.   That ruler changed my quilting life.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:39 AM

Pat Lancaster:
I know what I mean, but I don't know if you know what I mean, rolfol

Pat, thank you so much for the tute, I understand it fully.  I tried this on a couple of scraps and voila!, it worked!  I finished my background/fabric one combo yesterday and I will work on the other two sets today, hopefully finishing all of step 2.  My strips are cut 3 7/8" but I may just cut them back to 3", I love this method!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:58 AM

Thanks for the compliments on my colors!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 305
IGOSEW replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 7:54 AM

I am so enjoying my 'virtual quilting' experience.  Since I can't actually make the quilt at this time due to taking care of DH after triple by-pass and working 50 hours per week, there's no time or energy to physically participate but I am learning so much!  I will be going to the Jacksonville QuiltFest this weekend and will certainly be looking for this ruler.  Pat's tute was great so I can't wait to actually see the ruler.  Everyone's fabrics are fabulous and I am enjoying following along during the time I steal away for myself.  

Bless you all and keep sharing!

Peggy in FL

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:25 AM

Peggy, not sure I said welcome to you so "welcome".  Prayers going up for DH's recovery and for you to finally get some rest and lots of time to quilt.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 5:09 PM

Nana:

Marsha

I think I would use the lightest fabric for the background and the two darker ones and fabrics 1 and 2.   That is if you have enough to do it that way.

Nana, I have nearly 7 yards of each fabric, so will make some HSTs in each color combination and post them to see what you think.  My art-quilter daughter thought that the dark would be good as a background and and that is the way I had tentatively decided also.  I need the opinion of others this time, so will post the picture as soon as I get the HSTs sewn.  Somehow the time I was supposed to have this week turned into truck time!  At least I did get a binding sewn onto a small quilt so I had some hand sewing to do in the truck today.  I have a few strips cut of each fabric so may get the strips sewn at least tonight.  Will get the HSTs cut tomorrow for sure.  

Marsha - Western New York

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 7:42 PM

Well, I have had such a bad day, I was thinking step 3 was already posted.  Not that I thought this was Friday, I'm just so far behind I was ready to see everyone's progress on step 3.  & to top it off our transformer blew so I been without power for over an hour.  No internet, no phone battery power & no sewing.  I've never been so bored!  Now that the lights are back on, it's my night to cook, again.  I can't win today!  C'mon weekend!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 12:57 PM

Finally, a few HSTs in each color combination.  I have plenty of each fabric to make any one of them the background.  I had originally chosen the light lavender as background, but when standing back, the dark print stood out so that I now think that should be the one!  The green woven-look seems much lighter than when up close, so maybe either fabric 1 or fabric 2.  Any suggestions?  I can cut a lot of HSTs until I have to make my decision.  I need your input on this.  

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 1:08 PM

Marsha,

I would use the dark as the background.  Either way would work fine for 1 or 2.  Maybe the green as 1 and the lavender as 2.  .
Jan in Rochester NY

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 1:22 PM

Jan:

Marsha,

I would use the dark as the background.  Either way would work fine for 1 or 2.  Maybe the green as 1 and the lavender as 2.  .
Jan in Rochester NY

Thanks, Jan.  That is the way I was leaning.  I love the textured-look and colors you have chosen!  Looks like they will be fun to work with.  I am not so thrilled with mine, but they were from stash.  Too many special college quilts to purchase fabric for so need to use what I have for this one.  If this looks OK, it may be another college quilt, if I can adapt it to the proper size.  The with-out border size is too wide and too short to work, but I did adapt MQs 6 & 8 for the long quilts, so might be able to that with this one also.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunny weather we are having here (after a very dark, foggy morning).  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 1:24 PM

Marsha,

I also like the dark fabric for your background.  For fabric #1, use whichever color you want to be more dominant in the quilt, because that has more pieces than Fabric #2. 

However you decide, you can't go wrong because your fabric combination is very pretty!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 5:14 PM

Thanks Jan and Sheila, I have finally made my decision thanks to both of you and EQ 7.  I found 2 fabrics online and adapted the green to almost match.  After drafting the blocks with dark background, green #1 and lavender #2 and trying the reverse with 1 & 2, I have gone with green #1 and lavender #2.  The darker print is definitely the background.  Now to get to the sewing machine and cutting board!  I have a lot of work ahead of me.  I think I will have the weekend to QUILT!!! No long truck and trailer trips planned (so far!!), just one 45 mile trip in the middle of the day, a good time for a break from the machine.

Thanks again for your help. 

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 305
IGOSEW replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:22 PM

Thanks Marie, I'm so enjoying virtual quilting along with you all.  The pictures are so marvelous.  I can't wait to see more photos!

I am saving all the steps and photos and still hope to eventually be able to do this quilt ... just not now.  DH is on an antibiotic now for the leg wounds from the vein grafting for the triple bypass and I'm having to debrid the dead tissue out and apply special dressings so I've got my evenings pretty full and on top of it all, my computer at work went haywire and we've had to reformat teh hard drive and reload all programs and my backed up files got scrambled, Quick Books won't let me e-mail anything and apparently our web host has issues because now my mailbox on the host site is full and my web host's voice mail is full.  I'm guessing more folks than me are having issues but two days of moving from desk to desk to try and get computer time has been brutal!

So glad the weekend is here.  I've decided to give myself a treat and go to the Jacksonville Quilt Fest tomorrow!  yippee!  something just for me!

Page 16 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1415161718Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use