Step 5 questions and discussions

rated by 0 users
This post has 202 Replies | 31 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 67
Points 960
Peggy replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 1:53 PM

Glad you doing better.. I also had left over pieces.  What size did your finished quilt come out to be?

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 219
Points 3,805

I finished piecing my top and am hoping to get the borders on tonight or tomorrow night. I may throw myself on Nana's mercy and see if she will extend our time through the weekend before voting.... any objections??

After hearing how big these things turned out, I've decided to split it in two and have 2 throws.... before borders, they are 48 x 60.... I'm sure these will be ample size :) Awesome that I can play with 2 borders and try and quilt it 2 different ways. I'm SO hoping to get a picture up there for you guys to see..... but I'm from MA/CT...and the Red Sox are in the World Series.... so....I'm a little side-tracked :P

Karyn

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 6:12 PM

Karyn Ashley-Smith:
I finished piecing my top and am hoping to get the borders on tonight or tomorrow night. I may throw myself on Nana's mercy and see if she will extend our time through the weekend before voting.... any objections??

No objections from here, it would be nice.  Karyn, I am also making two quilts out of my blocks.  They will probably end up 60" x 72", big enough for me.  I bought the border fabrics today but won't get to them until Friday so I'm cutting it a little close.  Having the weekend would help.  But I'll go with the flow, Nana.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,358
Points 28,605
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 7:13 PM

Debbie:

well, yesterday I made it out, by myself for the first time, to run several errands and then finished sewing my rows together and have posted my top.  Still had 48 of each 3.5" sq of solid yellow an dthe print left over plus a dozen or more HSTs and 8 blocks.  May try to piece these together for the backing, put the 8 blocks in the center then I don't know.  I'm so restless!  

Debbie, congratulations on both accomplishments!  It is good to hear you are able to get out by yourself now.  Independence is a wonderful feeling.

I am going right now to see your finished top.  You are way ahead of me.  I finished about a dozen blocks last night, but spend too much time on the road to the hospital to see Rich.  The Dr. came in while I was there today and asked him if he was ready to go home tomorrow.  He didn't expect to be able to go home until Friday.  This is his second new hip, so he knows the routine so it progressing faster than 2 years ago when he had the first one done.  He now has 2 new hips and one new half knee.  He should be ready to start a new painless life now.  Surprisingly, he has had no pain with either hip except for a little soreness from the incision.

He promises me that when he gets home I WILL have time to finish this quilt and a few more college dorm-sized quilts I need for graduations this year.  He now realizes how important quilting is for me and how much others appreciate them.  He just calls them just another blanket!  He may change his mind when I get his quilt finished.  I got the top done last Spring but haven't sandwiched it for quilting yet.  That is my next machine project.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 7:18 PM

I would love to have the weekend as well.  How about it Nana, a couple more days???? Pretty Please  LOL

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 10:04 AM

I won't be finished with this one. But I wanted to post the blocks I have assembled so far. (Renovations keeping me from the sewing machine.) I think I goofed up, with the pattern of the block pieces.....this is for a friend of mine who is in need of some comforting. I hope the quilt fills the bill..

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 3,075
QDancer replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 10:06 AM

This is a bad picture, sorry. The dark fabric is deep purple with golden thread swirls in the fabric. I will post again when the quilt is done...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

Mona, the purple quilt is beautiful.  I am sure anyone would love it. If you made a mistake on the pattern it looks GOOD!

Martha, Parker, CO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,358
Points 28,605
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 11:12 AM

QDancer:

I won't be finished with this one. But I wanted to post the blocks I have assembled so far. (Renovations keeping me from the sewing machine.) I think I goofed up, with the pattern of the block pieces.....this is for a friend of mine who is in need of some comforting. I hope the quilt fills the bill..

You know, we are to make these quilts are own.  I really like the way your piecing looks.  I am saving a copy of your picture, if you don't mind, so that I can make one that way also.  I like the 2 dark squares with light triangles instead of the plain large pieces of Nana's original pattern (sorry Nana).  Nana's design ties the whole quilt together, but I also like the separation of the blocks as it shows in your quilt.  Have fun finishing it up.  

I also did not get done - still sewing blocks together.  All 4-piece blocks are done, but ----- playing nursemaid to Rich and his new hip with all our children popping in and out doesn't give me much time to sew.  Got a few more blocks finished yesterday and just need to iron seams on last 4-patches.  Wednesday will be calmer here, as daughter from Texas is returning home then.  She has TOO MUCH ENERGY for a 50 yr old!!  Wish I could use some of her excess!  She never had to chase toddlers, just helped raise her husbands 2 teenagers.  They are now both married with children of their own.  She didn't wear herself out while younger, so has energy to spare now.  She uses some of it to rescue dogs, some of which are her "children" (our grand-dogs)!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 370
Points 6,510
Helen replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 12:07 PM

Very pretty Mona, and nice layout!!  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 8,840
Jan replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 1:44 PM

Mona,

That is beautiful. I love the contrast.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 4:36 PM

Mona, I love the purples, nice job!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

I'm still looking for the PDF for the fabric requirements and cutting instructions.  Can you point me in that directions please?  I would like this pattern for my files without always going to the internet to get started.  Thank you.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,120

Gardnergal you need to go Mystery Quilt 9 homepage and  you will see Mystery Quilt Workshops, click on that and all the steps are there.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 965
txsueh replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 1:23 PM

My top is pieced!  WooHoo!  I spent some time with a friend in the Houston area over the past week or so.  We went to the Houston Quilt Show (fun!) and spent some quality time in her sewing room!  I was able to get this top put together as well as another UFO minus the last border, and some placemats.

Everyone's quilts are simply stunning.  I'm looking forward to quilting my top once I get a backing.  I decided not to add borders and will do some sort of side to side quilt pattern on my frame.

Thank you, Nana, for a wonderful quilting experience!!!

Sue in Belton, TX

http://stitchingwithsue.blogspot.com/

Page 12 of 14 (203 items) «Prev1011121314Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use