Step 5 questions and discussions

rated by 0 users
This post has 202 Replies | 31 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Sat, Oct 26 2013 6:43 PM

Thanks Wendy.  I bought EQ5, then the update 6 and then 7 and still didn't have the time to sit.  You are right I should make time.  Maybe this winter :-)

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 12:22 AM

I use eq7 too but I didn't use it for mq9 maybe I should've.  I did just finish putting the last border strip on.  I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow as I have to move furniture to be able to hang the top for a picture.  Haven't taken a new measurement yet.  My plan is to pin the sandwich next week.  Then when thats done it is headed for Minnesota relatives.  I look at it and wonder If I made a mistake in placing the squares.

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:30 AM

Christine:
Not sure about borders may just leave as is hubby said no new fabric :(  

Christine - I don't think you need a border, that's what I'm leaning towards.  great quilt!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:41 PM

I just posted my top in media. 

Quilting My Rainbow

• Filed under: |
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

I have my top pieced and just finished piecing the back. Question: How should I quilt this - as in - what type of a pattern should I use? How are you quilting yours? I will be doing it myself and I do not have a long arm machine but I do have a Viking Sapphire 875 Quilt with 10" throat space and I have a walking foot and also a foot for free motion.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 9:32 PM

I'm gonna outline stitch squares on point and pinwheel or stitch in ditch.  After taking 3.5 hours to pin sandwhich I discovered my quilt is too wide I have to piece a edge strip of batting!  Todays measurement was 99" x  108"  !  Its the biggest I've done.  I wonder if I could get a ribbon for that.

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 5:00 AM

All the tops are fantastic.  I still have a few more rows to sew together but don't think I will make it before the weekend.  I find that no matter how carefully I cut, sew and trim my points still don't want to match up properly.  Ah well.  It is for my spare bed.  I will take a pic when I am done but it won't be before the 1st lol.  

Thanks Nana, I love the design and all the tops look beautiful.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

I thought about stitching in the ditch but where the pinwheels come together - my material seems so thick I'm not sure I want to try stitching over that part. Also thought about outlining the triangles to the pinwheels - without actually going over that center area. Right now, mine measures 85 x 68, however I am adding 10 - 12" of border all the way around - so it could come out to be 97 x 80. It's for just a full size bed but I like more of a bedspread length on my blankets.

My first quilt that I just finished last month was 125 x 125 - but I did that quilt-as-you-go and it was completed on my original machine that had a 5 or 6 inch throat space. I want to push this machine to see how far I can go with it in one piece. The 2 quilts I will be doing after this have measurements in the 90's for queen size. This is sort of my 'practice' quilt. 

Well, I will add the borders later today and then just dive in and see where I go with it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 7:29 AM

Linda Gless:
Right now, mine measures 85 x 68, however I am adding 10 - 12" of border all the way around - so it could come out to be 97 x 80.

Wow! after hearing how big everyone's quilt is, mine seems down right puny - only 60 x 72.  Nana, maybe I need some help at the Branson retreat on how to make these tents.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 8,970
Jan replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:35 AM

I have been really taking this one at my own pace due to the arm injury.  My MIL has been ill, and she has a neighbor that has been wonderful at helping her out.  My SIL asked me, last night, if I could make her a quilt for Christmas. I have this one going with no one in particular in mind, so sure. . . If I can sew between Thursday after my surgery and Christmas. . .We will see how it all works out. 

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 1:37 PM

Jan, just wanted to wish you Good Luck on your upcoming surgery!!

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 630
Jan replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 4:52 PM

Finally put my last border on and got my quilted put on the media page!!  I am so thrilled that I got it done in time!  Jan in New Palestine, IN

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Yay, Jan!!!! Congrats on getting it done and posted! I am putting my borders on tonight but have never posted a picture before on the site - so not sure if I will figure that part out in time. Lol. 

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 630
Jan replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:11 PM

Thanks, Linda!  I, too, wasn't sure how to put pics on, but it wasn't too bad!  Good luck!  Can't wait to see your quilt!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 7:50 AM

well, yesterday I made it out, by myself for the first time, to run several errands and then finished sewing my rows together and have posted my top.  Still had 48 of each 3.5" sq of solid yellow an dthe print left over plus a dozen or more HSTs and 8 blocks.  May try to piece these together for the backing, put the 8 blocks in the center then I don't know.  I'm so restless!  

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 50
Page 11 of 14 (203 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use