Step 5 questions and discussions

rated by 0 users
This post has 202 Replies | 31 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

I was able to get the borders on mine last night. I made a "smaller" version and it is still 5.5 x 5.5. I'm really glad I didn't have enough fabric to do the whole thing! I am please with how it turned out and hope some sick child takes some comfort from it. It's a little bright to be called Tranquility so I'm calling it Hearts Full of Love.

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,599
Points 26,900
Debbie replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:36 AM

Pat - Your borders are great, love how yours turned out and some little child is going to love it also.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,599
Points 26,900
Debbie replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:43 AM

SherrieLM - I lke the one without the pieced border,  the other one does distract.  To me, if Dad won't care either way, then save your time and effort to put into something else.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:56 AM

Pat your borders look great!  Some child will absolutely love this quilt!

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 10:49 AM

Pat some child will absolutely love it.  I really like the pieced borders you put on it, it looks perfect!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Thanks for the kind remarks about my quilt. Because I wanted to make a smaller version I had to guess on the number of strips. I ended up with extra HSTs. I used the blue border to calm it down a bit  then thought a plain yellow border would be boring. I played around a little and was able to use most of the extra HSTs so was happy with that. I am on "vacation" today babysitting my 2 yo granddaughter. No hope of sewing today. My 3 month old grandson is having hernia surgery right now so Liberty is with me. It's a lot of fun but I will need to go to work tomorrow to rest. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,890
Points 69,145
Bonita replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 5:18 PM

Pat, your top is so bright and cheerful. Some child will be thrilled to get it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 6:35 PM

Jo, your colors are so pretty and the contrast works great with this pattern.  Good job!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

All the quilts so far are so pretty.  I decided to do a smaller version, too.  I do wish I had more contrast between Fabric # 1 and 2.  I love the way the quilts with more contrast turned out.  I am going to do a simple binding on mine.  I will back it with a patchwork of the left over fabric from the top so it will be a hodge podge, but it will be used as a TV blanket for the DGS when he comes over.  I might even use it myself on cold evenings.  We have had snow a couple of times already and there was a heavy frost outside this morning. 

I am trying to decide if I will quilt it or tie it.  Mom used to make "tacky quilts" that were tied instead of quilted and I have a fond spot in my heart for tied quilts. DGS will love it either way.

Martha, Parker, CO

example of binding, but I am not that far along yet.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

I have decided to set my squares on point for my quilt. Rather than chop off half of my outer blocks, I would like to fill in those spaces with triangles to square my quilt up. The blocks finish to 12" - so my question is - what size should I cut the square that will be divided in two for these units? Should they be cut at 12 7/8? Just a guess based on the 3 7/8 squares used earlier in the quilt to make the other triangles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 505
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 9:32 PM

Linda Gless:

I have decided to set my squares on point for my quilt. Rather than chop off half of my outer blocks, I would like to fill in those spaces with triangles to square my quilt up. The blocks finish to 12" - so my question is - what size should I cut the square that will be divided in two for these units? Should they be cut at 12 7/8? Just a guess based on the 3 7/8 squares used earlier in the quilt to make the other triangles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My program says the corner triangles should be cut from 2- 9 3/8 squares...you will need 4 and the outside triangles should be cut from 8 -  12 7/8 squares to make 16

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Thank you, Jen. What is the program you have that tells you all these things? That would be a good tool to invest in!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 505
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 6:31 AM

Glad I could help you,,,,,

I am using Quilt Pro version 6......I used the program and made a virtual quilt using the MQ 9 blocks, is this what you are thinking of doing?...

go to the Quilt Pro website and check out the software....I started years ago with their 123Quilt program and upgraded about  7 or 8 yrs. ago to Quilt Pro and  2yrs ago upgraded to the newest version 6....it's awesome ...all you have to do is design the quilt you want and it then gives you all info for that quilt...fabric yardage and measurements for cutting. As with any new software you have to take the time to really learn it but it is very user friendly, I ordered mine with a hard copy of the disk and a hard copy of the instructions too. And the support team is really good if you have questions. I liked that I could download it right from the web, and was able to start using it right away....and if I am not mistaken you can even download a fully functional trial of the software and then if you want it just pay for it and they send you a serial number and key to open it after your trial time runs out. Oh and I forgot about being able to add new blocks and fabrics to the program from their website for free... go check it out...

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Yes - this is basically what I am doing - except I am going to top the triangle off with fabric that matches the double pointed arrow that is formed in the quilt so that it matches the other double pointed arrows in the quilt. I think that triangle will be cut @ 3 7/8 squares divided but not sure. I can work that part out though.

I thought you might be talking about Quilt Pro. Was looking on their site last night at QP7 version that is out now. Looks like a fabulous tool.

Thanks again for your input and help. So glad I joined this group. Being a new quilter it has taught me so much - along with YouTube videos - would not have even made my first quilt otherwise!!!! lol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Hmmmm - now that I am really investigating software - it seems that Quilt pro and EQ7 may be from different companies. I will definitely do my research though and find a program that helps me with these questions. Thanks again, Jen!!!!

Page 6 of 14 (203 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use