Step 3 questions and discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 144 Replies | 35 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 67
Points 960
Peggy replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 10:08 AM

I definitely agree that this is going to better easier than MQ 8, but 8 sure is pretty and I plant do another one some day.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 720
Laura G replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:24 PM

Hi Nana,

I am working on Step 3.  How many solid background squares was I supposed to cut and what size?  I must be misreading the cutting instructions because I'm not understanding where the solid background squares comes from. I do see folks are using them in their Step 3.  The background squares I cut all matched up with Fabrics #1 and #2, I didn't have any left over.  Please Help!  lol  Thanks much :)

Laura G

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:36 PM

Laura

You should have 84  3 1/2" background and 84 3 1/2" fabric #2 squares.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 720
Laura G replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:42 PM

Hi Nana,

Please ignore my question about the solid squares...I figured it out, and had them cut already...just needed to put them with the 3-7/8" squares I was concentrating on so hard the last day and half!  The solid ones are the 3-1/2" squares I cut the other day!  Segments are going together just fine now!  DUH!  lol

Laura G

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 155
Sarah replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:52 PM

I am having trouble see the difference in your green and blue colors!  Could you do a line drawing of where we are suppose to put the HST blocks and the whole blocks?  If you do that then I can figure out how many of each category I need and won't have to unstitch because I won't make a mistake.  You could draw it out and then take a picture, or take the blocks outside to take the picture maybe the colors would be more clear.  Just a thought from someone confused.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 155
Sarah replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:56 PM

In the second photo is that 2 half-square triangle blocks or 3?  I cannot tell what the upper left-hand square is.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 155
Sarah replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 3:05 PM

And which way should the seams be pressed?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,825

I'm still trimming, but I couldn't resist putting one of each block together to see how it looks! Excuse the wrinkles and threads :D

The background is a complete mish mosh of white on whites, the funky multicolor blue was a sheet that I picked up with a lot of "vintage" sheets and thought I'd see how I liked working with that as opposed to new stuff (no different, just longer). The green I was a few squares short on, so I cobbled together the pieces.... ought to be interesting! LOL. Also, the green is striped, and I LOVE how doing the tube method put the stripes on the diagonal...but the other 3 1/2" block the strips run up and down (or side to side LOL), so I"m just going to make sure I have them going both directions. One of my squares looks off in the picture, but it must be the way I laid it down, because here, it seems fine... hmmm.

I chose my colors based on the name "Tranquility" and picked the sheet because of the movement in the print. When Nana said she almost called it "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" I knew I would have gone with a totally different color scheme LOL!  Am I the only one influenced by the name??

If I find myself with boatloads of time on my hands, perhaps I'll do another one that is a deep blue and silver :D Don't hold your breath anyone...just sayin'

Karyn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 4:06 PM

Sarah

These pics posted by one of our ladies are much easier to see.

The white print is the background.   The pinkish fabric is fabric #1 and the blue is fabric  #2.    In the first block top row is Fab #1/ background HST and Fab #2 / background.   Bottom row is 2  fab #1/ background  HST.    In the second block top row is fabric #2  3 1/2" square with a fab #1/ background HST.   The bottom row is a background 3 1/2" square with a Fab #1/ Fab #2 HST.

I hope this helps.  If you need more help please let me know.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 56
Points 820
MTAnn replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 4:48 PM

Nana:

MTAnn

I always square up after each step.  You can do it however you usually do it.   These segments should measure 6 1/2"

Thanks Nana - I think it's easier to square up as you go, rather than spend a day at the mat!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,980
Points 42,040
ls2116 replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:49 AM

I agree Nana. I had a hard time differentiating on yours.  Here is my step 3 in process almost 1/2 way done.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565

Here are mine at least 2 of them have a few done but got side tracked :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 720
Laura G replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 9:35 AM

Good Morning Nana (and group),

I am working on step 3, using Red fabric and Pink fabric for my #2, black is #1 and white is background. As I began to put the segments together, the pink and red don't seem to be coming together the way I would like to see them.  When I was making the square of Fabric #1 and Fabric #2 combo, I should have combined Fabric #1 evenly, between the pink and red.  I sewed all to the pink.  So I am ripping and re-sewing, so I have these four squares when I am done.  I'm not sure how this will turn out, but am thinking it will be much less scrappy looking (which is not my favorite).  Ripping's not fun, but the mystery of it all is!  LOL.

Laura G

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 499
Points 9,425
Jan replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 10:47 AM

Karyn,

Those colors definitely say "Tranquility" to me.  Very pretty.

Jan in Rochester NY

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
Lilhawk replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 10:51 AM

You are SO correct! The photos are GREAT. BUT the selection of fabrics for the photos makes it VERY difficult to determine the HST placements. The first photo looks like:

green/cream+cream/blue

cream/green+green/cream

The second photo is a bit more difficult:

blue/green(or could be all blue)+green/cream

all cream+blue/green

For me it would be easier if each piece had a letter. Like 336 fab #1/background = A. 84 Fabric #2/background = B. 84 Fabric #1/fabric #2 = C. Cream square = D and so on.

Then we could sew A to B, as pictured. Sew A to A, as pictured. Sew the rows together, as pictured, to form the block. It should measure 5" (is that correct?) If I know the final size of each step, squaring my squares as I go makes the final piecing more exact.

Thank you for your help.

Lilhawk

• Post Points: 50
Page 6 of 10 (145 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use