rated by 0 users
This post has 246 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 8:40 PM

Marsha

You will have approximately 2 weeks from now to finish cutting and doing the HSTs.  The next step won't come out until Friday of next week.   I wanted everyone to have plenty of time to do all the HSTs.  They always take me the longest.   Although I must admit that the strip tube method took me about a quarter of the time that any other way I have tried does.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 6:54 AM

I'm also doing scrappy.  I was determined to use fabric from my stash & only had 1 fabric that was enough yardage for the background.  The Fabric 1s are going to be beige-ish & the Fabric 2s just caught my eye.  I'm excited to see how it will turn out

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 7:01 AM

Nana:
You will have approximately 2 weeks from now to finish cutting and doing the HSTs.  The next step won't come out until Friday of next week.   I wanted everyone to have plenty of time to do all the HSTs.  They always take me the longest. 

Thank You!!  Thank You!  Nana, so happy you gave us two weeks.  have mine all cut out but not marked and only sewn one so far.  maybe done by next Thursday but not sure, only 9 days till my surgery and now I have to get off my muscle relaxer till after surgery.  Can you say achy feeling?   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 63
Points 895
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 11:17 AM

I like mixing things up a bit.. Those look great.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 344
Points 5,990
PennyWyo replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 2:44 PM

Nana I wanted to echo the thank toys for am extra week to get step two completed. What a sigh of relief. Thanks again for everything, Nana

Penny

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 344
Points 5,990
PennyWyo replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 2:45 PM

Oops!  Thank you's!

Penny

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
Lilhawk replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 3:58 PM

Nana,

This sounds like fun! Someone posted the question of borders. Would you recommend using fabric 1, 2 or new? Our initial fabrics may not be there when we are on the last step of completion.  You stated "if we want borders, we should plan accordingly". Any recommendations and yardage?

Thanks,

Lilhawk

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 8:37 PM

Lilhawk

I would plan on having at least 1/2 yd of background for a small inner border.  Then if you are going with just a basic border at least a yd of one of your contrast fabrics or go with an additional fabric of your choice.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

I actually bought 3 extra yards of each color because 1:) This is my first time doing this and I wanted to allow for my mistakes and   2:) I want to make some coordinating throw pillows - pillow shams - or accessories to go with the quilt to tie my new room together.

Linda Gless

Hartford, WI

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 51
Points 840
txsueh replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 9:04 AM

This is my first time using the strip tube method and I really like it, too.  I love that I'm getting much better accuracy than with the draw-the-line-and-sew method.  I'm cutting a few strips at a time, sewing, then cutting.  And keeping a running count of the HSTs....can't afford to make a mistake here with my limited fabrics!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 140

Nana: I tried posting about using the tube method, but probably did in the wrong forum. I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for giving the info about the tube method & someone else posted about the MSQ youtube video using a square ruler to do the same thing. I have studiously avoided using HSTs for a long time due to fright, but I have been able to work on this in the last few days & totally LOVE this method!! So accurate, so easy and so fast. I did follow the suggestion to use spray starch due to working with bias edges and found that really helped my blocks stay true to size. Glad to have the two weeks to finish up this step, cause at this rate, I'll need.  So happy, too, to have been able to read through this forum & get all the correct numbers & sizes.  Really excited about doing this quilt!! Thanks again, Sybil

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 140

@beve99: love your combination of fabrics! Looks so Fall, but easy on the eyes. Should be beautiful when you get it together!! 

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,402
Points 45,175

I too am very happy with the tube method. I am not rushing but it still goes pretty fast and with much less stress then other methods I have used. I will probably try some patterns that I rejected in the past because of all the HSTs.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:11 AM

Various stages of production....was hoping to be farther along but I only had one day off this week....good thing we have another week to get these done!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,980
Helen replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:19 PM

I am enjoying the different fabric choices and see some beauties!   The purple and lavender is very pretty!

My sewing machine needed to be serviced so I won't be able to test the strip tube theory.  I can't get around cutting strips 3" and coming up with 3 1/2" squares :-)

As soon as my machine is ready to come home I plan on trying it out for the future HST's.   :-)

Page 8 of 17 (247 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use