Step 2 Discussions and Questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 246 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

tnmtgrl:

there is a piece of the outer corner of what would be the next triangle missing so I have to move the ruler to the right about a quarter inch wasting fabricl....

Jen, the piece missing will be in the seam allowance and would be the tips that stick out when you open the square up.  They will need to be trimmed off anyway. 

Martha 

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

tnmtgrl:

Ok... this is probably going to be a really stupid question and I will probably figure it out as soon as this is posted but here goes.....I have the Wonder Cut ruler to make HSTs....I have made several practice tubes to learn how to use it. I make my first two cuts ...flip the fabric over....line up my ruler on the diagonal edge and there is a piece of the outer corner of what would be the next triangle missing so I have to move the ruler to the right about a quarter inch wasting fabricl....in all the demos I have watched, (wonder cut ruler, the strip tube ruler, even the one for using a regular square up ruler) they never say or show anything about having wasted fabric..it looks like they just keep going without waste....of course they never actually show them doing a whole strip either usually just two triangles...so my question is...should there be a little wasted fabric or please tell me what I am doing wrong.  

Jen,

Position the ruler so the tip is at the top edge of the strip.  The line with the size of your unfinished block should be aligned with the lower stitching line. You may have to loosen a few threads in the point when it's cut, but they usually come out by themselves or without much effort on your part.  That should solve your problem.  

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,801
Points 67,540
Bonita replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:47 AM

tnmtgrl, in all the videos I've watched they never flip the fabric just move the ruler from bottom to top. line your ruler up on the bottom line and make your cut then move your ruler to the top line , linning up the sides and cut again. No waste that way

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:52 AM

tnmtgrl:

Jen

Scoot your ruler to the left so that it lines up with the edge of the fabric.  The little piece in the seam is the part the forms the dog ear that is cut off.  When you open up the square you will see that everything is fine.  I know it looks like you are short fabric but you really aren't.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:53 AM

Jo

These fabrics are scrumptious.  I love the pinkish one.  What fabric line is this?

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:54 AM

Peggy

Your HSTs should be 3 1/2 in squares.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:57 AM

Lynda

I know nothing about iPads.   Sorry.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:58 AM

kmcla67-shop@yahoo.com:

This is the first time I've done this, what size finished quilt is being made?

72 x 84 without borders.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 56
Points 820
MTAnn replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:04 AM

Nana:

MTAnn

You are welcome.  Is there anything else that I can help you with?

I think I'm good!  Thanks again for your patience...I'm proceeding to do HST's!!!!  Sewing away!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 497
Points 10,005
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:07 AM

Nana:

tnmtgrl:

Jen

Scoot your ruler to the left so that it lines up with the edge of the fabric.  The little piece in the seam is the part the forms the dog ear that is cut off.  When you open up the square you will see that everything is fine.  I know it looks like you are short fabric but you really aren't.

Thank you ...thank you ...thank you....I was too scared to use my actual fabric and already cut it to do it the long way....but next time I will be ready...again thank you so much Nana! And thank you to everyone else...it really helped!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 615
Valerie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:22 AM

Lynda - do you have any PDF saver apps like PDF reader or kindle (both are free)? If so, open the PDF link you want to save. Once open, a little box at the top right hand corner should appear that says "open in PDF reader" (or whatever PDF app you have). Just click the box and it will save to your iPad. I screenshot a pic of what mine looks like. Hope this helps, if not, let me know and I'll try again. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,876
Points 32,565
Roxana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 1:14 PM

Lynd, you can also open it in iBooks or DropBox if you have either of those. I try not to open in iBooks as I have no way to get it out of there!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 3:03 PM

I don't want to get more confused on everyones math.  I'm not using tube method.  Is the ultimate goal of step 2 as written with the numbers 378, 84, 84?

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 175
Ray J replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 3:40 PM

I think it should be 336, 84, 84.  

Ray in CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 4:21 PM

ls2116:

I don't want to get more confused on everyones math.  I'm not using tube method.  Is the ultimate goal of step 2 as written with the numbers 378, 84, 84?

Is that is correct.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 5 of 17 (247 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use