Step 2 Discussions and Questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 246 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 46,580

Sheila - if your fabrics are kitty approved then you know it will be great! LOL, 

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 46,580

Valerie:
I want to thank whoever first posted about using the tube method. I think it was you Nana but whoever it was, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Me too! I am trying to finish a quilt for my newest dgs and am working on the binding, but I just couldn't stand it. I had to sew one tube and cut 16 almost perfect HST. WOW, what a great invention, sure glad there are smart people out there to help the rest of us. And I am sure glad that others share when they find such a great tool. Nana you are the best!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 1,040
Jo replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:12 PM

Here's my fabric selection.  I have to catch up with cutting and sewing tomorrow.

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 63
Points 895
Peggy replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:09 PM

Nana, 

I have completed setting up my squares and am ready to start sewing them all together.  Just to clarify the finished HST should be trimmed to 3" squares??  I don't want to be sure before I start trimming.  Better to be safe than sorry.. lol

Thanks........ Peggy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:44 PM

Peggy:
Just to clarify the finished HST should be trimmed to 3" squares??

You should trim them to 3 1/2"

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 63
Points 895
Peggy replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:57 PM

That's what made sense to me.  I do wish I had cut them at 4" instead of 3 7/8".  I'm doing it the 'old fashioned way' and 3 7/8" makes it really close with not much to trim off.  Good news is I marked the pattern so next time I use it I will know.. Hope to have them done by tomorrow but if the sun comes out all bets will be off..

Thanks for the input...... Peggy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,447
Points 24,085
Debbie replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:30 PM

Peggy:
I do wish I had cut them at 4" instead of 3 7/8".  I'm doing it the 'old fashioned way' and 3 7/8" makes it really close with not much to trim off.

Peggy - I also do the old fashioned way and I am with you, 3 7/8" is too close - I cut mine 4" 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:21 AM

Peggy and Debbie you are not alone I did mine the old fashioned way cut at 4" and trimmed to 3 1/2".  I have never tried the strip tube way but I have tried many other ways but the old fashioned way works best for me even if it takes a little more time and work .

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 63
Points 895
Peggy replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 2:05 AM

Well lesson learned. I just have to be really careful and take slightly smaller seam allowances. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 615
Valerie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 4:51 AM

Jo your fabrics are beautiful. I love the one in the center..

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 6:17 AM

I am also doing the old fashioned way because I have a habit of not sewing long strips evenly.  I have tried several different methods and going really slow but somehow I tend to wobble so cutting squares and then trimming may take me longer but I have better results.  Glad there are so many different ways to get the same results and we can all use what works best for us.  I am just finishing marking my squares and hope to have at least some of them sewn this afternoon.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 46,580

Whatever works for you is the way to go. If you end up with nice 3.5" HST then it's all good!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,740
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:08 AM

Ok... this is probably going to be a really stupid question and I will probably figure it out as soon as this is posted but here goes.....I have the Wonder Cut ruler to make HSTs....I have made several practice tubes to learn how to use it. I make my first two cuts ...flip the fabric over....line up my ruler on the diagonal edge and there is a piece of the outer corner of what would be the next triangle missing so I have to move the ruler to the right about a quarter inch wasting fabricl....in all the demos I have watched, (wonder cut ruler, the strip tube ruler, even the one for using a regular square up ruler) they never say or show anything about having wasted fabric..it looks like they just keep going without waste....of course they never actually show them doing a whole strip either usually just two triangles...so my question is...should there be a little wasted fabric or please tell me what I am doing wrong.  

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

I have an iPad , how do,I get the PDF file?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 70

This is the first time I've done this, what size finished quilt is being made?

Page 4 of 17 (247 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use