rated by 0 users
This post has 134 Replies | 44 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 11:25 AM

Maggie

You are going to be making HSTs out of all the fabrics.   I have never been able to keep directional fabrics all going the same way when I do HSTs.  But I don't mind having mine go different directions....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 155
Sarah replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:27 PM

I'm new to this blogging stuff.  Not sure what HSTs are, but a long-time quilter.  Doing this for fun - cause I need some of that right now.  I thought that I'd just buy a background fabric at the quilt shop, but when I got there my mind changed!  I saw a great print in the sale section that I chose for border.  Have since changed my mind and gone with another fabric.  My 3 chosen fabrics are a peachy orange, mottled green and a purple/orange battik. I may get behind in my sewing because our guild's quilt show is the end of this month.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 155
Sarah replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:28 PM

Oh, yea, Half Square Triangles.  I already figured that out from the cutting directions!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,578
Points 47,535
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:39 PM

Nana, just to confirm... when the 2 triangles have been sewn together, the block they make will be 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" ?

Do you think these will work?  The half white leaf at the top on the far left fabric is 1 3/4" from side to side.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

Duh!  I was just thinking directional. LOL. I guess I had not had enough coffee when i asked this question. 😝

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 155
Sarah replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:49 PM

I took the fabric outside and took another picture.  Makes a world of difference in the true colors!  Here they are:

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:52 PM

Tami

It will definitely work with batiks, fusions, small prints, etc.   I used fusions on mine.   Doesn't have to be solids unless that is what you want.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:55 PM

Debbie

Yes...once the triangles are sewn together you will have a 3 1/2" square.   I think once your print is cut into pieces it will be fine,  You are just going to have color more than design when it is cut.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 12:56 PM

Sarah

Wow...that is a huge difference in color.   I think those will be pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500

oh I really like your colors Sarah. I have been looking at some greens myself.  I think one of the fabrics I was looking at will become a border though. Got two quilts ironed and backs ready for sandwiching. Now just need to go to FIL, where there is enough floor acreage to lay them out.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

The fabrics all look beautiful.  I have 2 background fabrics and can't make up my mind.  I would like to use the floral but am worried I will end up with patches of blank colour, what do you guys think?

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565

MarilynB   I love the colors those blues are lovely.  But I think that the larger floral background you may be right with 3 1/2" HST's you may have some that appear to be a solid color .  Where the other background fabric you would not run into that.  But it is up to you it is your quilt and if it does not bother you that some may be mostly solid color  then go for it.

But we can see what Nana thinks as she knows what the finished product will look like.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 7:35 PM

Marilyn

If you have enough I think the small print will work better for the background.  I love that dark blue.  It looks so rich.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 8:48 PM

Marilyn

I like the small print.  I think it balances better with the blues.  Even if you did not get "blank" patches with the floral, I think it is too light.  To me the small print is warmer. It is your quilt and you have to go with what makes you happy.

DebV

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Sat, Sep 7 2013 8:50 PM

Sarah,

The colors are so different inside to out.  The outside colors are great and a lot more fun.  If you find the inside colors, I think they would also work well.

Page 3 of 9 (135 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use