General Discussion and Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 67
Points 960
Peggy replied on Mon, Oct 7 2013 12:21 PM

I'll bet these are looking really pretty as we now see how the pieces are going together..

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870

MNgutsygal :
I had no idea it would take so long to press open and trim units.

Deb, that is the hardest part of HSTs.  I am worn out today from cutting, pressing, and trimming HSTs to size.  I have 225 of the 336 HSTs left to trim.  My shoulders and neck gave out after 6 hours of that!!  I just sit in my chair with my feet up, lapboard in my lap and travel iron at the ready.  I need to get up every half hour or so to work the kinks out of the back and bad knees, but can't stand long enough to use the cutting table for so much trimming.  The 2-sided lapboard is such a help.  I can iron on one side and cut on the other.  Of course, too much ironing gets the leg hot - the heat penetrates after a while.  Today I switched between the iron and the trimming when the board got too hot.  Tomorrow I should get the last 225 trimmed.  I made mine the tube method, but they needed a little trimming - some a little more than others.

I made my first 8 of each step 3 block today and after pressing the seams and checking size, I will be able to make 2 larger blocks of each for step 4.

Hope you can salvage the first batch of yours.  If they stretched, maybe dampening them and letting them air-dry will help reshape them.  If they are too small, - - - -  Good luck.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 505
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 11:53 AM

I couldn't stand it and had to put together two blocks. I found out yesterday that my knee injury is a torn meniscus so I am starting PT on Thursday. I will be going for an MRI in a few days too. At least I am able to walk with only 1 crutch now and I am able to bend it a little too.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

I'm still here. I plan to get back on track this week. I had a terrible week last week and it ended with my beloved pet getting hit and nd killed by a car. This is the first I've been on since the day she died. Sheesh, I wonder how I'm going to take it when a person in my family passes?  But, I've pulled myself together and ready to pick up the "pieces" and continue my MQ9. :-)

aka Grandma Sunshine

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,857
Points 68,560
Bonita replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 1:32 PM

Maggie, I'm so sorry you lost your pet. They do become just like a member of our family.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 505
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 2:18 PM

Maggie, so sorry to hear you lost your pet, they are just like family. I had to put mine down a few months ago. Hope you feel better soon....thinking of you....T&P's coming to you.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 3:17 PM

tnmtgrl Your blocks are lovely!  Blue is my favorite color!!  Good luck with the PT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Tue, Oct 8 2013 3:35 PM

Maggie, my condolelnces on the passing of your beloved pet.  We lost our beautiful parrot of 34 years a year ago and still mourn her.  It is nice to see you back.  Look forward to seeing pictures of your steps MQ9.

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Thanks everyone. I was doing so well too. Time to burn the midnight oil. Lots of caffeine in the a.m. Will keep me going tomorrow. Supper is out of the way so time to start stitching. Oops. Dishes first, then stitching. 😊

aka Grandma Sunshine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 290

Hello Maggie ..from Australia,

sorry to read of your pets passing. They are members of the family, no matter what country you live in we all tend to love our animals with all our hearts and its a lot of grieving that has to be done.  Keep your chin up. 

Im so far behind with the cutting etc that I'm printing off the instructions each week and will just keep plodding along. I'm enjoying seeing the different colours and patterns that are emerging. All so very nice.  Is there any  of you who may be joining the Kaye Wood trip to Australia/NZ next January? I'm booked in to join the tour when you all arrive in Sydney. Just thought I'd ask just in case someone may be attending I could say Hello.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

Thanks, Marsha. I think mine will be okay, just not perfectly squared. Since this is for me that's okay. Take care.

MN Deb

Marsha-SM:

MNgutsygal :
I had no idea it would take so long to press open and trim units.

Deb, that is the hardest part of HSTs.  I am worn out today from cutting, pressing, and trimming HSTs to size.  I have 225 of the 336 HSTs left to trim.  My shoulders and neck gave out after 6 hours of that!!  I just sit in my chair with my feet up, lapboard in my lap and travel iron at the ready.  I need to get up every half hour or so to work the kinks out of the back and bad knees, but can't stand long enough to use the cutting table for so much trimming.  The 2-sided lapboard is such a help.  I can iron on one side and cut on the other.  Of course, too much ironing gets the leg hot - the heat penetrates after a while.  Today I switched between the iron and the trimming when the board got too hot.  Tomorrow I should get the last 225 trimmed.  I made mine the tube method, but they needed a little trimming - some a little more than others.

I made my first 8 of each step 3 block today and after pressing the seams and checking size, I will be able to make 2 larger blocks of each for step 4.

Hope you can salvage the first batch of yours.  If they stretched, maybe dampening them and letting them air-dry will help reshape them.  If they are too small, - - - -  Good luck.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

tnmtgrl:

I couldn't stand it and had to put together two blocks. I found out yesterday that my knee injury is a torn meniscus so I am starting PT on Thursday. I will be going for an MRI in a few days too. At least I am able to walk with only 1 crutch now and I am able to bend it a little too.

Wow! I love it. Thanks for showing me. Pinwheels will always be my favorite pattern. Yours look terrific!

MN Deb

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

I'm still here. I plan to get back on track this week. I had a terrible week last week and it ended with my beloved pet getting hit and nd killed by a car. This is the first I've been on since the day she died. Sheesh, I wonder how I'm going to take it when a person in my family passes?  But, I've pulled myself together and ready to pick up the "pieces" and continue my MQ9. :-)

Maggie, I am so sorry. That's awful. Sending hugs.

MN Deb

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

Just back from a vacation, I was gone 2 weeks and haven't caught up on all the discussions, yet.  I did read through this thread and want to say OUCH for the finger, hope it gets well soon and sorry for the loss of the pet.  It is like losing a member of the family, you still mourn. I missed clue 3 and 4, but will get them printed off so I can at least start on this quilt.

I was able to stop at several quilt shops while driving across the country. (Denver to Virginia and back again. The highlights were Patchwork Plus in Dayton, Virginia and Appletree Quilting Center in Columbia, MO.  We stopped at several others and I loved them all, but these two were awesome.  I was traveling with 3 non-quilters, so didn't stop at as many places as I would have liked.

Martha, Parker, CO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 6:09 PM

Martha

Wish I had known you were in Virginia.  I am only about an hour and a half from Patchwork Plus.  I would have loved meeting you.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 20 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1617181920
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use