rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,040
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:53 PM

Donna B:
Jen, just wanted you to know that you (and your finger) have made an impression on a lot of us this week!

Jen, Donna is absolutely right about this, I'm also being extra careful.  Sorry you had this happen to you to wake some of us up.  When I'm squaring up blocks is when I'm most vulnerable so I'm more aware now.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,411
Points 62,095
Bonita replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 4:29 PM

Jen, glad you're doing better with your finger. I'll be thinking of you each time I use the cutter now.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 5:04 PM

Thanx again for all the thoughts from everyone...my finger is much better today, I was thinking of posting an updated pic but then I thought that it wouldn't be such a good idea....I am going to fall behind with MQ9 due to two other projects that I need to have done before I go to FL in a few weeks, they are for the grand babies, but I did get all those HSTs done...that was a chore!!! Can't wait to see Friday's step 4 and can't wait to see all of your MQ9's too!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,019
Points 12,865

Kathy, you read my mind on the tub suction handle. I picked up one some time agony clearance for $3.50. LOL My DH actually thought I was going to use it on the tub!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,465
Points 23,995

Jen, I hope your finger is doing much better by now. That has to be painful.

i have my fabric laying out for this project, but due to so much going on have decided to not start at this time. All those HST squares are holding me back.  Am trying to finish up two other MQs before I start another one. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:16 PM

Elaine

Play with a couple of strips of fabric and try the strip tube method to do HSTs.   You will never dread them again.   I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy and how quickly they go.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 8:34 AM

Ok it's for sure now ...I will not be getting my MQ9 done on time...I was starting to catch up but...my knee finally gave out last night at work....now I am waiting to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon to have my knee put back together.......why does everything happen on the weekend? 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,980
Helen replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 2:27 PM

Save the steps for when you can!  So sorry this happened to you and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!  Good Luck!!

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 305
IGOSEW replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 3:54 PM

So sorry to hear about your knee.  Hopefully it will be better than new when they're done with it!

Prayers going up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 6:36 PM

Jen so sorry that you are having knee problems.  Hope all goes well and that you will be able to get back to sewing soon.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990

Jen, good luck with the knee.  I know all about bad knees - had one replaced 3 years ago and was supposed to have other replaced soon after, but things got in the way - maybe next fall.  Hopefully you will be able to get your knee fixed without resorting to something so drastic as mine.  My knee is so worn out that I have to keep wiggling it around when I stand up so everything lines up before I put full weight on it or the knee won't straighten and the pain is bad.  I vowed not to let this one get to this point, but Rich needed a new hip 2 years ago, a partial knee last year, and other hip in a few weeks.  I hope he has run out of broken down joints!!  He is the breadwinner so I can wait.

A Picture is worth a thousand words!!!  I just sharpened my rotary cutter blade while I was waiting for my molasses computer to wake up!  I just finished cutting the last HSTs for MQ 9 and realized I was having to press too hard on the cutter because the blade was dull.  That is another very dangerous thing.  My mother always said the most dangerous thing in the kitchen is a dull knife!  The same applies to rotary cutter blades.  Now I can trim the HSTs to size more safely.  Thanks for the warning with your picture.  I have had a few minor mishaps with knuckles, the back of fingers, sides of fingers, dropping on foot, etc. but no removal of fingertips ---- yet!!!  I hate gloves so haven't bought the klutz glove yet.

Take care of yourself and heal fast!!

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 395
Annette replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 8:05 PM

Nana

Thanks so much for telling us about the strip tube method! I could not get my mind around how a 3" strip would become a 3-1/2" square, so I had to try it out. Dang! It works!!! This has made the quilt so much easier...I am almost done with step 2 now. HST's were never that easy for me.

Looking forward to moving on and hopefully catching up.

Annette

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 395
Annette replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 8:07 PM

Jen

So sorry for your troubles. Hope you mend fast

Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 10:21 PM

Annette

I have always loved quilts made with HSTs but was never real fond of making them.  I will never go back to making HSTs any other way.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 283
Points 4,415

Nana:

Annette

I have always loved quilts made with HSTs but was never real fond of making them.  I will never go back to making HSTs any other way.

Nana, I am going to have you show me this new method at the retreat, I hope, lol. My first batch of HSTs is a mess. I switched markers and did not use steam on the rest and they are fine.  I may need to redo my first batch, arggggghhhhhhhh. I am starting to put my HSTs into blocks today. I had no idea it would take so long to press open and trim units. Definitely a newbie at triangles, :-)

MN Deb

Page 19 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1617181920Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use