General Discussion and Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,073
Points 16,460
weezee56 replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 10:22 PM

Jen, I hope you miss #3. Your knee and finger are enough.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Points 1,280
Yuriko replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 11:03 PM

Jen,

Ouch!  That looks painful.  I'm gonna be more careful with my cutter.  I didn't realize what damage it can do.  Hope it heals soon.  Hang in there.  Wish there was someway to help you.

Lily

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 1:03 AM

Jen,

Wow! I haven't had the pleasure of driving over my digits with the rotary cutter....yet....have had some near misses, though.  I did catch my finger in the sewing machine once....yanked my hand back so hard that I broke the needle in 3 places (maybe 4; I think there is a piece of needle still in my finger, 2 years later).

Be proud of your quilt battle scars, it lets the world know that we are not just sitting around sipping tea, we are using seriously dangerous equipment to give comfort, one quilt at a time!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 6:28 AM

Can I say I hate over achievers?  Is there anyone else who still has to cut strips?  Well, I am using my upcoming move as my excuse:)  I just love looking at all you girls are doing and I can hardly wait to get settled in and start my Tranquility because by then I will truly need it.

Jen, hope you are doing well.  I chopped off the end of my little finger with a butcher knife a few years ago and now I have one little finger 1/2" shorter than the other.  Once it heals, it becomes a great talking point:)

Nana, you are the bomb!

Kathy

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935

Kathy, I'm in your corner.  My fabric hasn't even been washed yet though it has been picked out.  My excuse was an unexpected two week trip to New Hampshire to help care for mom... hospital for 10 days then rehab for 2 weeks.  I came home Sunday, she came home yesterday!  I brought some EPP to work on and cut out about 1/2 of my 2" squares for the postage stamp swap.  Once I get caught up with everything at home and at work I'll think about getting busy on MQ9!  Where are you moving to, Kathy?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,030
Points 13,070

Jen, that is terrible. I haven't had the discomfort of cutting off parts of my hand. Although I have made some pretty good razor slices in my hand due to poor wielding of a rotary cutter. My mom likes to sew through her fingers so I'm kinda used to hearing about sewing mishaps. You definitely need a cutting glove. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:57 AM

Debbie, since I cannot move to the cabin in TN on a permanent basis, I am moving to Vero Beach, FL on the coast:)  I(\ am happy to hear someone will be at the tail end with me.  How is your Mom doing now?  At least you had a beautiful time of year to go to NH.

Kathy

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 367
Points 7,255
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 8:08 AM

Thanks to everyone for their nice comments.....my finger is feeling much better this morning. My DH told me to stay in bed today so I don't have anymore accidents ..haha....he said he had no idea that quilting was so dangerous and has threatened to take all sharp objects away from me. I have a feeling I am never going to hear the end of this one...hmmm just wait until he does something stupid with one of his tools, I am gonna give it right back to him...lol. I ordered some suction cup handles to put on my rulers...don't know if they work but maybe it will help keep my fingers out of the way...if not I guess I will then try a glove.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 8:35 AM

Jen, it is probably too late, but you can go to Home Depot or something like that and get the suction handles for tubs in different sizes and they are much cheaper and work very well.

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 450
Points 8,565
Jan replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:45 AM

Corine,

Don't fret about being behind.  I am still cutting a bit at a tine, strip tubing a bit and a time and sewing a couple of the step 3 blocks at  a time.  Hand injury is slowing me down, but not keeping me down.  We will all get to the end in time.

Jan in Rochester NY

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 305
IGOSEW replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 12:00 PM

Kathy,

I'm with you, I will never have to join QOA (quilting over-achievers anonymous)!  Only difference is I stated from the beginning that I am a virtual quilter this go round.  DH had Pacemaker on 6/10 followed by unexpected triple-bypass on 7/30 followed by kidney and complications.  Two months later and his legs still aren't healed.  We see the surgeon again on Thursday.

But, I'm having a great time watching everyone else's quilts come together and I'm saving the clues!

Blessings to all,

Peggy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,579
Points 118,650

tnmtgrl:
cut the end of my finger off with my rotary cutter..

Ewwwh, that sounds too painful. I've been rather complacent and confident about not getting cut with my rotary. Maybe there is a reason for those kultz gloves after all. I've never felt the need to one but seeing your injury is giving me second thoughts.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:56 PM

Ouch, Jen,  

i have my fabrics picked out, Sam is leaving soon, I'll get started then

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 2,960
Linda replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:14 PM

Jen,

I just cringed when I saw the picture of your finger. I like to work without gloves, even when playing the dirt!!! But now I'm being extra careful. Hope you heal fast.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:31 PM

Jen, just wanted you to know that you (and your finger) have made an impression on a lot of us this week!  I too thought of you while using my rotary cutter this morning, and I am being extra careful and even re-thinking whether I should be using a klutz glove.  Hope your finger continues to feel better!  That looked like a real "ouchy"!!!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Page 18 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1617181920Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use