General Discussion and Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,548
Points 177,653
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 7:55 AM

I'm at the half way mark with the background/fabric 1 set.  Plan on working on the second half today, wish me luck.

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,728
Points 437,065
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 8:07 AM

Marie

That is beautiful blue fabric.  Have fun with the rest of your squares.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,548
Points 177,653
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 8:25 AM

Thanks Nana.  I have to say thank you also for getting me back into the quilting mode with this MQ.  I haven't done much of anything in my quilt room all summer.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 8:56 AM

Karyn Ashley-Smith:

Is it your background that is different or your fabric 1? I'm curious if you also mixed those 3 color combo's into your other 84 HST. Did you use 3 similar fabrics? I'd love to see them :D

Karyn

Hey Karyn,

I had enough fabric for the background to be 1 color, but my fabrics 1 & 2 are different.  I ended up using 3 fabrics for each.  I started out trying to choose similar fabrics for fabric 1, but then just kept pulling out fabrics that caught my eye.  My thought is to use the same combos when matching up the fabrics 1/2 HSTs.  I'll get some pictures in a bit, as soon as I've got some better light & then post them after work.

Beve

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:52 AM

I know what you mean Marie, DH said he hadn't seen the machine in so long he thought I forgot where I put it Ha Ha Happy quilting

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,187
Points 18,275
weezee56 replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 2:29 PM

Marie, I love your colors.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 7:21 PM

So, here's a picture of my fabrics.  The tan with the orange flowers in the HSTs is my background fabric.  The 2 beige & the orange/white are my fabric 1 & the squares on the left are my fabric 2s.  We'll see how it works out.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,037
Points 13,195

WooHoo!  I'm done with step 2 and ready for step 3. So far so good. 😃

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 375
Points 6,535
Helen replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:06 PM

Marie your blue and whites are so pretty!

Grandma sunshine your fish fabric is so cool!  This is going to be a really cute quilt!!!  Congrats on getting your blocks ready.  

My sewing machine has been serviced and ready for Friday's step 3!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,519
Points 30,910
Diana replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 6:24 AM

I've got the tubes made and started cutting HSTs with the special ruler.  Wow, does that save lots of time and effort.  I'm also cutting little ones 

out of the scraps.  I use the ruler and cut the largest hst I can.  Some are one inch finished, some are 2 1/2 inch finished.  I'm sure I can do something

with them when I'm finished.  Even if it's nothing more than a placement.  My Scottish roots coming out.  I'm not cheap, just frugal.

Diana in East TN. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Sep 24 2013 9:29 AM

I have my HST done mostly, I still have a few that need to have the ears and squared up. I used the ruler as well, but I never cut off the salvage edge, so that was mostly the waste on the end for me. I didnt make any small ones. I just stashed them for when I need to check/ mess with the tension in the future.

Dont know how much I am going to get done when the new directions come out. This weekend is our quilt festival here in town. So, you know where I will be. Our National featured quilter is Maggie Ball. I have looked her up and am excited to meet her and see what she has to share.

I will try to get a snapshot of where I am out with the MQ, but so far today is grey and gloomy so not sure what kind of color will come out

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,538
Points 47,600

At the moment I am done with the HSTs. I am doing a smaller version and not sure exactly how many I need of what, lol. I have a tiny bit of fabric left to cut more of something if needed. Now I will just wait for the next set of directions to see where I am in the process. I still love the tube method of cutting the HSTs, so glad Nana let us in on her secret!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,548
Points 177,653
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 25 2013 9:13 AM

Pat Lancaster:
I still love the tube method of cutting the HSTs, so glad Nana let us in on her secret

Exactly how was the tube method used in cutting our half square triangles, size of strips, etc.?

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,538
Points 47,600

Marie, it is as simple as can be. LOL, it really is simple if you think it through. First, instead of the 3 7/8" strips we cut 3" strips.  Take a background strip and a Fabric 1 strip and sew them together. You will sew both sides to make a long tube. Press that tube well and starch it as well. Then take your "Strip Tube Ruler" and line the 3 1/2" line along your stitched line on the tube. Cut around the ruler and you end up with a triangle. Press that triangle open and you have a 3 1/2 " HST. Some people couldn't envision getting a 3 1/2" square from a 3" strip, but you are actually getting half from each 3" strip. If you go to cozyquilts.com you will see a little video on how to do this. That is where I bought my ruler. You then need to sew the rest of your strips together to get the rest of your HSTs. I never thought I would enjoy the process of making HSTs but this ruler has changed everything. There is a youtube video by Missouri Quilt Co that shows how you can do this using a regular ruler, but I am happy with the Strip Tube Ruler. Hope I explained it so yo can understand it. I know what I mean, but I don't know if you know what I mean, rolfol.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,538
Points 47,600

I just read my explanation and I understand if you don't understand, oh brother. Anyway, just go look at the video and you will understand. Also, Nana gives an explanation somewhere in the questions on Step 2 thread.

Page 15 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use