General Discussion and Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,879
Points 40,525
ls2116 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:22 AM

Well Nana I must have been confused again... I thought step 3 was going up this morning.  Now I can relax a bit with the pressing and squaring up.

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 2:16 PM

Is

Step three will post next Friday.  I gave everyone 2 weeks to get all the HSTs done.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,879
Points 40,525
ls2116 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 5:59 PM

Thanks Nana!

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 395
Annette replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 8:19 PM

Thank you

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

Happy dance!  Almost have all my HST sewn together. It is pretty time consuming. I thought I would work on them for a couple of hours and switch over to Halloween costumes. But...I got on a roll and spent all day on the mystery quilt. Tomorrow is set aside for Halloween costumes. Hahaha

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 7:49 AM

Am doing the Happy Dance also!!!  Mine are all done and looking forward to Friday!!  Took advantage of this down week to take my machine in to be serviced.  It is ready for pick-up tomorrow and will be so ready for the next step!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,592
Points 26,760
Debbie replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 8:08 AM

need to get busy and sew all the HSTs but have a book due Tuesday and I can't renew because of long waiting list and almost 1/2 way thru it.  so yesterday and today are reading days, I'll be sewing both Mon and Tues nite after work, while watching the season premieres, will need that to keep my mind off upcoming surgery.  

thought if I get them all sewed up, I can work on ironing and cutting them after, could do that either standing up for a spell or sitting down.  I figure I can do that for 5-10 minutes before I need to take a break.  and ladies, I will take it easy!  I can hear all of you now.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 8:31 AM

Debbie, you are working very hard to finish things that need to be out of the way for your upcoming surgery and recovery.  Good Luck with your surgery!!!  Will be thinking of you and look forward to hearing from you when you can send us an update!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 265

Debbie - good luck with your upcoming surgery. I will say a prayer that all goes well & that your recovery is quick.  I only have 50 more HST's  to square up and for once I will be caught up, just in time for our vacation and I will once again be behind.  Oh well, you can't have everything.  Just glad that I am this far. Thanks Nana for all your help and clarification on this.  I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Kathy in MI.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 3:07 PM

Since I'm doing a scrappy (I'm calling it pseudo scrappy) I'll have 3 color combos for each of the HST combos in step 2.  I've finished my first combo of background/fabric 1 combo (112 HSTs).  Taking a short break, then moving on to the 2nd color combo.  & it's my night to cook. :(  Still hoping to get them all done by Friday!

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,825

beve99:

Since I'm doing a scrappy (I'm calling it pseudo scrappy) I'll have 3 color combos for each of the HST combos in step 2.  I've finished my first combo of background/fabric 1 combo (112 HSTs).  Taking a short break, then moving on to the 2nd color combo.  & it's my night to cook. :(  Still hoping to get them all done by Friday!

Is it your background that is different or your fabric 1? I'm curious if you also mixed those 3 color combo's into your other 84 HST. Did you use 3 similar fabrics? I'd love to see them :D

Karyn

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 4:39 PM

Debbie:

Got started on sewing HSTs and looking good.  these are bold for me so excited to see finished quilt.

Debbie, your fabrics aren't too bold.  I love them.  I wish I had your purple to go with mine!!  My lightest fabric is a pale lavender, just too pale to use with out a bolder purple to go with it, but it will have to do.  Hope to get a little done tomorrow and post a few HSTs.  My background will be medium-dark with a medium-light woven-look green-gold with the pale (almost white) lavender for the other fabric.  Got the background ironed today and all are ready for cutting tomorrow.  I might change the order of the fabrics when I get some strips cut and make a few HSTs made of each combination.  I originally had thought to use the lavender as the background, but thought the green-gold was light enough to use as fabric #1 or #2.  Decisions, Decisions - - -  I am not really pleased with these choices, but have spent too much for The Loyal Union Soldier quilt and graduation quilts, so just picked from stash.  Might have other choices, but didn't have time to dig too deep.

Had a very busy week riding over the rough roads in the truck including riding over 500 miles yesterday.  We left for our first job (a 430 mile round trip hauling Jersey cattle to a state sale) at 5:30 in the morning.  We got back to the start of the 2nd job at 3:30 PM.  Believe it or not, we had the "pleasure" of being stopped in 2 truck inspections about 50 miles apart on the SAME road, but luckily the state troupers both times let us go on without inspection because we were loaded with cattle and they were too busy with so many trucks on the road yesterday.  There were at least 10 trouper cars at the 2nd stop closer to New York City, but there were still others out on the road.  One trucker passed the truck stop and was caught just past where we got back on the road and a car was also stopped a few miles further on.  The must have many more troupers out there than we do in the "boonies".  We got back from our second job after dark and were cold and soaked to the skin.  Took a long time to warm up!  The day started out warm and sunny (after the sun rose) but turned nasty in the early afternoon.

I am anxiously waiting to get started on cutting fabrics, but don't dare try tonight.  I want STRAIGHT STRIPS and am sure my cutting will be a little wobbly  tonight. Need some sleep first.  

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 297
Points 4,555

Gina:

OKAY...I have FINALLY found different fabrics in my stash that meet the amount of fabric required, and actually kind of go together!  I am behind by a couple of weeks with getting started on my mystery quilt, but I've been so busy canning that this is the first chance I've had to dig through my stash again and find fabric that I don't have to worry about losing the design/print by cutting it into smaller pieces.
Here's the fabric I've decided to use...

The green and purple fabrics I bought in 2011 to use in a different quilt, but it never got made, so I'm using it for this one.  The fabric in the middle is 1 bolt of a part of a huge lot of fabric bolts I got from a friend in 2011 when her craft store closed.  I love the colors of these fabrics together, so the green and purple will be the main fabrics, and the fabric in the middle will be my background fabric since it's the one with more than enough yardage.  WHEW!  Now I can finally start cutting & sewing!

LOVE those fabrics!

MN Deb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 8:42 PM

Marsha

I think I would use the lightest fabric for the background and the two darker ones and fabrics 1 and 2.   That is if you have enough to do it that way.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Points 1,345
Yuriko replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 8:57 PM

Hi Beve,

I'm doing a pseudo scrappy quilt too.  I wanted to use my stash but they are all 1 yd cuts so I picked about 3-4 fabics for the background, fabric 1, and fabric 2.  I tried to pick fabrics for each part that was same in color and value so it's not too scrappy.  Hope it works out ok in the quilt.

Lily

Page 14 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1213141516Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use