rated by 0 users
This post has 299 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 8:29 AM

MNgutsygal :
I have lots of fabric older than 2 years old, and it still makes wonderful quilts.

I have some from when I began quilting in late 90s - some of the postage stamp pieces for that swap that's going on are that old.

There's also a few are from fabric given to me and it's probably 50 - 60 years old, because a co-worker had me finish a quilt her DMIL had started in the 50s, DMIL has passed away and they found the quilt blocks in a box with loads of fabric. I finished the quilt so my coworker could surprise her husband, it had fabric from his clothes as a young boy.  we used a Ralph Lauren sheet for the backing, very manly looking, like a man's shirt. let me see if I can find a picture and post it.  I didn't show a picture of it.  

here are my prairie points I did.  first time and very proud of how they came out.  

the quilt is BIG, for me but then Jerry is about 6' 2" and probably a good 250 #s so he's a BIG man.  He just loved it and there were enough scraps left that I made her a small quilt for their little grandson to have one like Papa's.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 11:49 AM

Debbie

The quilt is really pretty.  Great job on the prairie points.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:20 PM

Jacy:
Read about this fabric that sat for almost 10 years, it made a great quilt.

Jacy, what a great thought process!  You turned out a wonderful quilt all your own design.  You rock girl!  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:22 PM

Debbie, beautiful quilt, love your prairie points!  Good job!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:30 PM

If you are looking for something to do with older fabric here is a site that recycles them

http://www.ecoequitable.ca/index.html

they also sell but unfortunately you have to live in either Ottawa or I think the other outlet is in Vancouver.  I would love to stop by there sometime and see what they have.  I have donated old fabric to the local charity shop as well and they are happy to have it.  I think the oldest fabric in my stash now is maybe 10 years as I have been trying to use up my stash on the mystery quilts.  I have my squares marked but am just starting the sewing, long way to go and busy week coming up, hope to get it done in

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

I have a TON of old fabric.  Some of it was my mothers. I even have some squares that were made by my grandmother.  Can't get rid of that!  Besides, I have 3 daughters who sew and my house is the alternate fabric shop!

At my LQS the had some people stop in and donate the many tubs of fabric their mother had.  Unfortunately, she passed away and I guess the kids and grandkids aren't quilters.  She had pre-washed and ironed all the fabric, too.

The LQS has a "Charity Sew" once a month and we are using the fabric that was donated to create quilts for the many people in Colorado who have lost their homes due to the two devastating fires. (more than 300 homes last year and 500 homes destroyed this year).  The goal is to have at least one quilt go to each household. I assume some will go the the many people who lost homes during our recent floods.  

Just think, all that fabric and good will could have gone in a dump if the family hadn't cared enough to donate the fabric. 

Martha, Parker CO

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

Martha, that was woderful of that family!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

Jacy, what a wonderful quilt and process!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

Debbie, that was so nice of you. And your prairie points really helped set this quilt off. Wonderful. 😉

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:33 PM

I'm still indecisive changing fabric I'm cutting different fabric for my #2 I think it will work better.  Went shop hopping again today and came up with great fabric for the borders for this.  My fabric # 1 and 2 have what i call a one way design lenthwise so when I sew my diagonal lines makes it look wonky but i'm still hoping it works out.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,137
Points 17,500
weezee56 replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:03 PM

Debbie you did a great job with your quilt.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Points 1,345
Yuriko replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:11 PM

Patti,

What a great pic!  I didn't realize how hot it can get in Missouri and how it could affect the poor animals.  That was really nice of your friend to set out ice for the squirrels.

Lily

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,755
Points 38,915
ls2116 replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:40 PM

Well I'm back to what I originally cut for fab 2 the other fab i wanted to use I just didn't have enough.  I'm almost caught up with step 2.  Sewing # 1/2s tomorrow.  While on vaca in Minnesota relatives had a piece of furniture adorned with Jade flowers and if this quilt turns out as good as I think it will.  I'll be sending it to them as a gift.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 206
Points 3,655

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

For anyone who wants to go through their fabric and get rid of the pieces that are over 2 years old... I think it's a great idea and I will send you my address!!!

I knew this would come up. I can't believe Nana and Gini didn't beat you to it!  I have a small fortune in fabric. I cleaned house when I got a divorce in 1999 and don't ever plan on  doing that again. Parting with the fabric was harder than parting with the husband. LOL

If anyone is dumping old fabric, don't forget me! *grin* I absolutely think the above statement is hilarious! I lost my stash when I got divorced/moved, and I have to agree, years later, I still miss the stash more than the husband!

Karyn

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 2,620
Gina replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 12:52 AM

OKAY...I have FINALLY found different fabrics in my stash that meet the amount of fabric required, and actually kind of go together!  I am behind by a couple of weeks with getting started on my mystery quilt, but I've been so busy canning that this is the first chance I've had to dig through my stash again and find fabric that I don't have to worry about losing the design/print by cutting it into smaller pieces.
Here's the fabric I've decided to use...

The green and purple fabrics I bought in 2011 to use in a different quilt, but it never got made, so I'm using it for this one.  The fabric in the middle is 1 bolt of a part of a huge lot of fabric bolts I got from a friend in 2011 when her craft store closed.  I love the colors of these fabrics together, so the green and purple will be the main fabrics, and the fabric in the middle will be my background fabric since it's the one with more than enough yardage.  WHEW!  Now I can finally start cutting & sewing!

• Post Points: 65
Page 12 of 20 (300 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use