Discussion and Questions regarding step 6

rated by 0 users
This post has 301 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sat, May 4 2013 1:55 PM

Last, but not least, here is my MQ8 - #5.   Two of my quilts (including this one) were made using bona fide border fabrics; I had 20 yds. of each color of these fabrics for quite awhile, so Thank You Nana for giving me an opportunity to finally use these!  (The light color, border, binding, and backing are all from one bolt of fabric; pretty handy, huh!)

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sat, May 4 2013 4:05 PM

Everyone's quilts are great and love them all.  I hate to admit it, but I'm still struggling with step 3...lol   My fingers just don't really like those tiny pieces, but I'm going to get them done.  I've got  all the 9-patches done.  I've got almost all of them sewn onto the stripe pieces.  I have to sew and make the HSTs.  They are all marked and ready to sew.  I WILL FINISH IT.    I am out of my comfort zone and hope Nana makes the next one with bigger pieces.  Bless her heart.  (hehe)

Diana in East Tn. 

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 4 2013 4:46 PM

tnmtgrl:

ok ..here's the quilt with the border redone....I feel much more balanced

Jen, I like your new border!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 4 2013 4:49 PM

Sheila:

(The light color, border, binding, and backing are all from one bolt of fabric; pretty handy, huh!)

Impressive border!  I have to admit... I never thought you'd get 5 of these done!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 4 2013 4:58 PM

Diana:
I am out of my comfort zone and hope Nana makes the next one with bigger pieces.  Bless her heart.  (hehe)

Be careful what you wish for...    She may give us a tent!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

Well, MQ8 that I named Alley Cats just went out the door. The friend I wanted to give it to stopped by. She just lost her husband, she has four cats that she dotes on and the quilt was perfect for her. She saw it on the table and was exclaiming over it. I said "Well, I made it for a friend who's been having a tough time and since she has four cats I thought it might be appropriate to add that applique".

Do you know, it went right over her head? When I said "For goodness sakes Dar, it's YOURS" she was so surprised. She's one of those people who goes through life with a smile and never complains or feels sorry for herself. She does for others but never expects anything in return.

Her cats will love it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045

Judy T-Bellingham:
Her cats will love it.

I'm sure she'll love it , too, Judy. What a wonderful gift, she sounds like she deserves a good friend like you.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:53 PM

Judy,

Now that your MQ8 has come and gone already, you still have time to whip up another one!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

Thanks Judy EE, she's one of my oldest and best friends. We go back 60 years.

And, Sheila, no I ain't making another one. Love the pattern but once was enough. Well, maybe.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:13 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Thanks Judy EE, she's one of my oldest and best friends. We go back 60 years.

And, Sheila, no I ain't making another one. Love the pattern but once was enough. Well, maybe.

Judy - don't you just love it when you make something for someone and they are just so amazed and appreciative?  I am blown away that it was all quilted and finished.  I just finally finished my top today.

As far as doing another one, yes, I think I will but I will enlarge the size of the strips.  I made the 9 patch cornerstones for mine and cut the strips 1 1/2" so it is a 3" finished 9 patch and I like how it looks.  It would enable you to have a larger quilt - should be queen sized - so anyway, that is my plan but when will this happen?  Not today or this month or possibly this year but I would like to see how it would turn out.  Really like the pattern just want it a bit bigger pieces to work with.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:18 AM

Sheila:
Last, but not least, here is my MQ8 - #5.   Two of my quilts (including this one) were made using bona fide border fabrics; I had 20 yds. of each color of these fabrics for quite awhile, so Thank You Nana for giving me an opportunity to finally use these!  (The light color, border, binding, and backing are all from one bolt of fabric; pretty handy, huh!)

You are amazing, Sheila - 5 done and I just got my one and only done today.  Do you ever sleep or have you figured out how to get along without it?  I love this version, great job.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:24 AM

I finally got my borders on - very plain but I like the larger 9 patch in the corners,  I would like to make this pattern again  but enlarge all the pieces like I did for the 9 patch. I used 1 1/2" strips and ended up with a 3" finished 9 patch.  I probably would screw up alot of the measurements by tweaking this pattern but should end up with a queen with no problem.  Time will tell whether it ever happens.

The first picture should be of the 9 patch corners - you can see the background fabric pretty well in it.  In the full blown picture, it just looks very light and blah. I love the mottled tan check.  I will bind the quilt....someday....with the tan.  Have the binding strips all cut and labeled.

• Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Marge,

Beautiful quilt. Love your rich red fabric.  This is a great way to finish this quilt.  Well done!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 376
Points 7,525
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, May 5 2013 8:26 AM

Marge P:

I finally got my borders on - very plain but I like the larger 9 patch in the corners,  I would like to make this pattern again  but enlarge all the pieces like I did for the 9 patch. I used 1 1/2" strips and ended up with a 3" finished 9 patch.  I probably would screw up alot of the measurements by tweaking this pattern but should end up with a queen with no problem.  Time will tell whether it ever happens.

The first picture should be of the 9 patch corners - you can see the background fabric pretty well in it.  In the full blown picture, it just looks very light and blah. I love the mottled tan check.  I will bind the quilt....someday....with the tan.  Have the binding strips all cut and labeled.

Marge, nice colors and corners...great job!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960

Marge P:

Wow Marge!!!  We're practically twins!!  :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Page 16 of 21 (302 items) «Prev1415161718Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use