Discussion and Questions re Step 5

rated by 0 users
This post has 194 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 2:26 PM

I think nana picked a great pattern,  it isn't hard, but it gets us out of our boxes.   Do you realize, sneaky nana, almost has us doing a miniature.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 2:43 PM

My block, I'm happy with the colors.  I didn't have enough of the green or background with me.   the first picture, is the fabric I got for the last few strips, I think in those tiny squares it will be just fine.

And a few fabrics for a flowery something around the outside.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:39 PM

What a wonderful bunch of blocks being posted.  You gals have all done great.  I finished mine up Saturday and finally got a picture to post today.  I will never take the title of the straightest sewer in the world or even close.  Those little 9 patches gave me fits and it shows.  I have never pinned so much in my life when putting the 5 rows together.  Looking forward to Step 6.  I am hoping that quilting this will do nothing but make it better!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 3:42 PM

gini:
I think nana picked a great pattern,  it isn't hard, but it gets us out of our boxes.   Do you realize, sneaky nana, almost has us doing a miniature.

You are so right, Gini!  Pretty sneaky, Nana!  It actually has been fun to work on, most of the time!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,451
Points 24,135
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 4:04 PM

I tried to do a few more blocks last nite after we got home but having trouble keeping row 1 and 5 straight.  I get those HST turned around and then don't see it till it's altogether.  I've been keeping one beside my sewing machine to look at as a guide but need to look better.  I think I frogged as much as I sewed, so only ended up with 3 blocks done instead of the 6 I worked on.  back at it tonight while I watch the Voice.  good thing I have to get stuff ready for Bible Class Wednesday nite, so I'll be forced to take some time away from sewing. 

I want to get these done and move on to next step - this one is frustrating me more than the others have for some reason but I'll get through it. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,327
Points 27,985
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 4:31 PM

walla2butterfly:

Thanks Marsha, how do you do all the sewing by hand. I just hate it. I attempted a quilt with nothing but hand sewing. think it was a block of the month so thought I could do that. nope slowly fell behind. well that was several years ago. I think I have actually stole some of it's material .. knowing that I probably will never get back to it as long as I have something else to do. But I am sure that there is always laundry and toilets to clean lol Good luck on  the cattle and keeping your material clean. Nope I wouldn't attempt any cutting while in transit

Looks like it is going to be an awesome day here in the PNW

Hand sewing is relaxing for me - of course I have been doing it for over 65 years!  I learned to embroider when 5 or 6 years old and made doll clothes and doll house accessories by hand when very young.  Right now I am working on The Farmer's Wife Quilt and have already named it "On the Road Again" since most of it has been sewn in the truck.  Today I gave up on sewing in the truck because of a Fibromyalgia flare-up with it's body aches, fatigue, headache, etc.  I took my Kindle and read while I wasn't filling out receipts.  That wasn't a pleasant trip because all roads are very rough around here.  The bumps don't help achy bodies and headaches.  Fortunately, we had only one trip and I didn't have to handle any cattle.

As for keeping quilting clean in the truck, that is very difficult.  The floor of the truck is very muddy, dusty, and ................ other unmentionables on it.  I have also lost quilt parts out of the truck due to the wind - one small piece lost forever and another in a mud puddle.  I let that one dry, brushed the dry mud off, and washed it by hand.  Fortunately there was no stain.  Am glad the mud puddle wasn't in Texas - I have taken the quilt down there several times.  The mud there is RED and stains badly.  Thursday I will take it with me and probably just sew sashing on the finished blocks.  The few undone blocks are too complicated to sew in a bouncing, rocking truck - all angles and many, many pieces.

We have a very nice day here in Western New York  (the Snow Belt area!)  Beautiful sun, warmer temps and not the usual winds.  Enjoy this day, everyone, (what is left of it) and I hope your weather is as nice as ours.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

I am way behind, life sometimes gets in the way. I am going to Florida for 10 days on Thursday, so I don't plan on finishing with the rest of you. But I will finish. I haven't even finished cutting my sewn strips into pieces yet!  I am loving the looks of everyone's blocks. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:05 PM

walla2butterfly:
Looks like it is going to be an awesome day here in the PNW

It is gorgeous weather today which is why I'm outside working in the garden and yard instead of quilting. I've got six of my blocks put together and will hopefully get the rest done when the Mariners come on this afternoon/evening.

This has been fun Nana, just my kind of quilt, little tiny pieces. Thank you, Thank you, I love it!!  We're heading to the ocean Thurs. so I won't see the final clue until Sunday afternoon and will have some catching up to do to finish but I did find another border fabric that I think will work.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:09 PM

gini:
he first picture, is the fabric I got for the last few strips, I think in those tiny squares it will be just fine.

I love the greens Gini, I think your found fabric will work great. And the border florals/batiks are very pretty.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:09 PM

Have fun in Florida, Elaine!  I'll try to represent the red/cream quilt team well.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:13 PM

Marge P:
I have never pinned so much in my life when putting the 5 rows together.  Looking forward to Step 6.  I am hoping that quilting this will do nothing but make it better!

I agree Marge, I think it took me 1/2 an hour to put the first block together. But your results are great. Looking at everyone else's colors I'm second guessing my yellow/black choice but I guess it will work for a grandson.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:34 PM

MNnancy, your block is perfect!!!  Great job......I hope when I have time to do this step mime look as imprefect as yours...  Lisa

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,470
Points 116,790

Marge P:

Marge, I really love your fabrics. The background is really lovely.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:11 PM

Gini, you know im a green girl, love it

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:20 PM

Was finishing up the strip sets to put the blocks together and realized I was 8 hsts short.  I had 8 lights left but no darks.  But did have fabric left.  Guess I cant count!!!!!  So make eight more and have tried both the Bloc loc and quilt in a day hst square up since I got them both in and I have decided I like the Bloc loc better.  it doesnt leave the little tags or flags or whatever you want to call them.  So now I have a guilt in a day square up for sale if anyone wants it.

Once I finish the last 2 strips,  I will be ready to assemble the blocks.  Making more progress I thought I would. 

Nana,  I am wondering how many more steps there are because I will be leave on May 9th to spend 3 weeks in my home state of Missouri.  My baby girl is graduating from College.  Wooooo Hoooo the last one.  Any way,  will I have all the steps before then.  Its not a big deal if I dont,  just wondering and curious and anxious and nosy and any other words that fit.  LOL

Page 7 of 13 (195 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use