Discussion and Questions regarding Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 355
KathyF replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:58 AM

Nancy, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I have been having computer problems. They are wonderful when everything is working. Spring is on its way, it sounds like we will have clouds and rain most of the week, maybe snow on Wednesday.   Good time to work on the Mystery Quilt.  I worked on some of the 9 patches last night. I am not use to working with tiny pieces like that. Will finish them today. Have a good day.

Kathy F

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 229
Points 3,225
Gina replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 12:06 PM

Marsha-SM:

Gina:
All my strip sets in the first part of step 2 ended up being 2-1/4 inches when done.  If they have to be exactly 2" then I will have to cut off a little bit from each side of them, as I don't have the patience to remake these.  Or is it ok that they are at 2-1/4 inches wide because once they are sewn to the next steps, they will end up being 2"?  I am completely not understanding this....sorry!

Gina, I think you are sewing a too scant 1/4 inch seam.  If you stitch another seam just inside the one you have done, you will get it closer to the right size.  If your inner strip measures 1/2 inch, you can trim the outsides to 3/4 inch and be fine.  It means more sewing, but is a lot better than having a wider seam allowance and too-small patch.  This is much more easily corrected.  Just trimming the edges would make the center strip wider in proportion to the outer strips when finished.

If all your center strips are the same size, it would be OK to trim the edges - just make sure to cut the same off each edge to center the strip.  Your 9 patch corners and sides will be slightly narrower, but might be an interesting look.

Thank you for the info Marsha...I actually had to watch a video on YouTube about how to do a scant 1/4 inch, because I didn't understand it at all.  For as long as I've been sewing, there's still so much I don't know.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

Finally, done with Step 3, well, except for marking for the HST's. It is amazing to me that even being so careful through the cutting and sewing process that blocks can wind up so wonky! I had to square & square again, and still I think some of the individual patches are a little off. Hopefully not enough to be an issue further down the line.

Anyway, here are my before and after shots. 

Please disregard the mess around the subject of the pictures... my workroom is a mess!

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870

Finally finished mini-slivering blocks.  Too tired to pile them neatly because I have sewn the strips, ironed, and cut pieces for 2nd set of blocks as well as pressing and slivering the first batch.  Here is a poor picture - I should have put them on a darker background and piled them neater, but just piled them with the pieces cut for the second group, and took one picture.  The background is a piece of the same muslin used in the blocks.  Should have better pictures of later steps.  This is the longest time I have had to work on quilts in a very long time.

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 355
KathyF replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:58 PM

Yep! I didn't read it well enough. I guess concentrating on the real instructions. Will be working on the rest of the 9-patches tonight.

Kathy F

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,930

Marsha-SM  I love your colors.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 705

got the light dark light pressed and all but 5 of those strips cut this evening.  More than I expected to get done as hubby is working tonight so I usually don't get to sew on Mondays. Toddler was sent for a nap this evening cause he kept hitting big brother so I while he was napping I went and worked on mq8

Pam

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 455
Raewyn replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:38 PM

I am squaring mine up to the 2 in square and may have to redo a couple but not to bad. Working on them I'll get them done by Friday intime to move to the next step. I'm fascinated by the size of these. I've never done any piecing with such small pieces. I recently did Bonnie Hunters Easy Street and thought that was a lot of work. So looking forward to seeing all the pieces come together and the great colours everyone's doing.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:13 AM

Gosh, got all the little 9 patches made, next sewforgot I put  them to 2" and then I'll be done.  not used to these tiny pieces - now know why I've avoided making quilts with them.  and then, I was laying them out to make sure I had them all and counted 35 sets of two and then 1 by itself and thinking, Oh, no!  I'm going to have to make another one so had fabric and just quickly put another one together.  then went into living room, where my temporary cutting area is and there was the missing one.  I had taken it into to square it up and forgot to bring it back, so I made an extra one for nothing.  thought, its late, time for bed but can't seem to fall asleep, now, I'm too wired.

Had bought Quilt Pro so think I play on it and see if I want to keep it or not.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,594
Points 26,785
Debbie replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 1:24 AM

Sheila:

But what is re-ironing seams called....flapjackin'? (you know, flip it, flip it, fli it).  I was merrily working on my third MQ8, when I realized that the seams were pressed the wrong way, and never would "nest" perfectly with the next step. 

Sheila - flap jackin' - I like that term.  I remembered this comment when I was going over to flapjack because my seams wouldn't nest either.  But then, I wonedered why the previous one did ok, so I looked and I had turned the 9 patch 90 degrees and it nested perfectly.  after all, all four sides have the same color in the middle, right?  so that's the trick, it you didn't iron so they'll nest, just turn that 9 patch 90 degrees and Voila!  it will.  Does that make sense? 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:09 AM

okay I have basically caught up. Still have to mark my squares. I may decided to redo a few of these we will just have too see.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

Tami, love the fabrics you are using. Have you decided on a border yet?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 18,930
weezee56 replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:30 AM

Tami, I love your colors.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 11:31 AM

Thanks Judy. The blue is some that I got but never could figure out what to use it with, so decided to make it the primary here. I have some bear material in the stash I am hoping to use but usually I never know tell it speaks too me. Still to early for that. If the bears work, I will need to enlarge the quilt for tall son but if it doesnt work. I have some other choices I can use then try to find something to make with the bears for him. I had thought maybe I could use some of the center on the outer part to increase but after doing those cute little 9 patches dont think that is what I want to do. haha

Hopefully the next step will give me an idea where this is going and whether I want to do that or not. Well need to go get cat food before work. Everyone have a great week and come on friday

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 319
Points 15,220
Kim Z replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:24 PM

Hi all,

I have loved seeing the pictures of all your blocks and color choices.  Here's my step3.

• Post Points: 50
Page 15 of 19 (285 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use