MQ8 Winners

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana Posted: Sat, May 18 2013 12:14 PM

Sorry guys ....  I should have posted this here as well as general forums.

First place goes to... Bumblebee Squadron by Icqultr46

Second place is a tie...... Alley Cats by Judy T. and Sheila's #4

Third place goes to..... Huckleberry Lemonade by LaDonna

I encourage everyone to go check these out in the media section of the Mystery Quilt 8 group.

Congratulations ladies. And congratulations to all that did this quilt. It was definitely a challenge for most and I am proud of all of you and the lovely quilts that have been made. WTG quilters.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

Thank you, Nana!! :)

Will there be a June, July or August mystery?  (Even though I haven't yet finished last year's!)

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,819
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Sat, May 18 2013 9:28 PM

Looks like I was late for competition, but I posted mine in show and tell.

Quilting My Rainbow

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, May 18 2013 9:45 PM

MaryAnn

The next mystery will probably be Sept or Oct.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 309
Points 7,265
lcqultr46 replied on Sat, May 18 2013 11:10 PM

Thank you all so much and a very big thank you to Nana for hosting this MQ, I really enjoyed it. I will confess, I've made a Missouri Puzzle miniature quilt, which is the basically the same block but without the sashing, so I did have some experience with this block.

And to those who asked about the border design, it is a simple half square triangle/quarter square triangle block repeated. The colors used in the block and the placement of the blocks, (keeping the charcoal grey above the black to give the shadow effect) make the 3D effect. I made 4" yellow/black hsts. paired each with a charcoal grey 4" square, drew a line corner to corner, sewed a 1/4th inch seam on each side of the line, then cut down the line to produce two half square/quarter square triangles. This method makes it possible for both top and bottom as well as right and left side borders to work correctly.  Again, it's pretty easy, just remember to use the darkest shade for one of the quarter square triangles.

Thanks again for your votes!

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,819
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Sun, May 19 2013 8:57 AM

Congratulations on winning!  I'm gonna check out your quilt .  These mystery quilts are so much fun to make.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:40 AM

Very sad about voting.  I just found out.

I love all the winners, but wish we were informed through the step discussion that we were supposed to vote. Maybe an email announcing the new discussion was posted.  If I did get an email and missed it - I do have to apologize.

This was my first time doing a MQ so I did not know we were supposed to be moving on to a new place after step 6.  

I still have to finish my top - life got in the way.  Just need to add border, but once the last 2 "need to do" projects are done this week I will get it done.  

Thanks for all the help Nana.  I really like what I have as a finished top and pushed myself.  I would probably do the block again - but increase the size of the pieces.

Hope if I ever get involved again there is a little more help for us that have never been here before.

deb

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 8,500
didash replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 3:50 PM

Deb -

Please post your quilt top when you get it finished (be sure to post it in the Media section)...you can post it at the end of Step 6 as well...

When doing MQs, it's easy to miss something with all the posts - and it's hard to keep up with them!  When the MQ is running, I try to set aside some time each evening to browse through the day's posts.  But NEVER be afraid to ask if you have questions!  I'm a newbie quilter and have gotten SO MUCH help from this group...but you do have to speak up or no one knows what you need help with! :)

Looking forward to seeing your completed top! (I just started mine today! We were living on our sailboat during the run of the MQ so this is the first chance I've gotten to get started...also making my first king-sized quilt at the same time - LOL - a "scrappy bargello" with batiks!)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 8,500
didash replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 4:04 PM

Nana:

MaryAnn

The next mystery will probably be Sept or Oct.

While we are all waiting for the next Mystery Quilt....would anyone be interested in a charm exchange??? I'm making an I Spy quilt for my grandson (for Christmas) and my stash is woefully lacking in "kids prints"...I do have enough of a few fabrics that I could cut charms to exchange...I can use any novelty fabric that is "kid/boy" oriented...sports/trucks/monsters/candy, food, desserts/ toys/letters, numbers/ holiday icons - you get the idea.  Mason is 5, so "baby" theme would not be appropriate.  I'm trying to avoid spending a fortune on charm packs and fat quarters to get a good variety.

Any takers??

If you would prefer to email me directly rather than post here, my email address is:

didash55@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 8:29 PM

didash:
would anyone be interested in a charm exchange??? I'm making an I Spy quilt for my grandson (for Christmas) and my stash is woefully lacking in "kids prints"...I do have enough of a few fabrics that I could cut charms to exchange..

By charms do you mean 5" squares. I have a stash of squares 5" and other sizes with lots of prints for a little boy. I'd be interested in trading.

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

....would anyone be interested in a charm exchange??? I'm making an I Spy quilt for my grandson 

Any takers??

If you would prefer to email me directly rather than post here, my email address is:

didash55@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Diane-

I have a whole bin of I-spy fabrics-- lots of boy stuff, numbers, numbers with sock monkeys!, sports, candy, fruit...  Would be happy to share or swap depending on what you have.  Are you using 5" blocks or would another size be better?  

It might be fun to get this going in a small group.  Let me know how you want to go about doing this..

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,778
Points 122,345

Jacy:

didash:
would anyone be interested in a charm exchange??? I'm making an I Spy quilt for my grandson (for Christmas) and my stash is woefully lacking in "kids prints"...I do have enough of a few fabrics that I could cut charms to exchange..

By charms do you mean 5" squares. I have a stash of squares 5" and other sizes with lots of prints for a little boy. I'd be interested in trading.

Oh this is a coincidence.  This morning I was digging through my UFO's and pulled out the quilt top I made from the last charm exchange.  I decided to actually finish it and am in the process now of getting it sandwiched and pinned. Will start quilting it this weekend. The thing is 95 x 104

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 8,500
didash replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:30 AM

@ Jacy - Yes, 5" squares

@Judy & Dogs - I planned to use 5" squares - planning on using one of Nana's recent scrappy patterns.  I can literally use anything in any color as I've just begun trying to collect some variety.  I will look in my small stash on Monday (I'm on the sailboat for the weekend) & let you know what I have to swap.  Like the group idea...

@Judy T-Bellingham - Can you email me and let me know how the last exchange "worked" - maybe I could organize it more formally if there is interest.  Email: didash55@gmail.com - thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 4:37 PM

Sure Judy,  I would be glad to make and exchange.

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,778
Points 122,345

didash:
@Judy T-Bellingham - Can you email me and let me know how the last exchange "worked" - maybe I could organize it more formally if there is interest.  Email: didash55@gmail.com - thanks!

Didash.  I didn't organize the Fall Charm Swap, I just took part. I'm trying to remember how many charms we each sent in but it totally escapes me. I looked back in the fabric swap group and can't find any information about the Swap. It was in 2012 and fall colors were specified.

Hopefully whoever organized the Fall Charm Swap will see this posting and have the information you need.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use