Discussion and Questions regarding step 6

rated by 0 users
This post has 301 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

ooooo IS2116 I absolutely LOVE those corners!  Gonna steal that idea for sure!

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Mon, May 6 2013 6:12 PM

Ladies,  I"m trying to begin step 6, in the directions Nana mentions printing out the layout pattern, can someone direct me to it?  I have looked all through the posts and steps but I'm not able to find it.  thank you, Lisa C.

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 1,120

Hi Lisa,  I dont think there is a layout pattern (if there is I never found it either) I think Nana was referring to the picture of the finished quilt top. The way i did mine was to lay out all the pieces on my bed and put it together that way. Once you lay it out its easy going. Good Luck, cant wait to see another finished one :)

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, May 6 2013 10:12 PM

Lisa, the trick is to work on the rows diagonally.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 12:35 AM

Thanks everyone !  Iguess I came up with a great fix on them.  Do I win a prize for that?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,485
Christine replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:30 PM

Bethiebear, 

WooHoo!  You finished the mystery  quilt, isn't it an amazing feeling!!!!!!...It's just gorgeous!  You should be very proud of yourself!  

Christine

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Tue, May 7 2013 11:12 PM

Sharon & Nancy, thank you for your assistance, I did as you suggested and laid it all out and then pieced it on the diagonal.  only need to figure out what I want to do for the border... Lisa C

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

Christine:

Bethiebear, 

WooHoo!  You finished the mystery  quilt, isn't it an amazing feeling!!!!!!...It's just gorgeous!  You should be very proud of yourself!  

Christine

Christine, yes!!!   I am beyond amazed!!   This entire group is fantastic and made me feel like I could do it.  I also had a co-worker (Mama Vines) who joined the group first and was soooo excited, her excitement motivated me to give it a try.  My quilt is FAR from perfect, but I am pleased.   Now, 20/20, I would have picked a different "dark" color to match the border better ~ like a rose instead of the purple.   Being a novice, I didn't have any clue as to what the layout would be, nor how the colors would play out.  Hey, but that's how we learn, right??

Thanks so much to everyone here....I KNOW I couldn't have done it without all of your suggestions and support!   My biggest worry now is trying to quilt it!  I still do not have the backing, but...but...but....I DO have the batting!!   So, it WILL get completed!!

Thanks Christine!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990

I thought this time I was finally going to finish a mystery on time!!!   No such luck!  I have had something going every day this week and Rich now wants me to go with him to his appt for his checkup on his knee, then go grocery shopping tomorrow.  Dr's office is 50 miles away and the grocery store is about 30 miles away in the opposite direction!  There goes my quilting day.  I have more than half the quilt together, have borders planned, but found out that I needed 3 more blocks to finish this larger quilt!  I got them done the last 2 nights, but need to press them and add sashing for the 3-block strip for the final corner.  I also need to make 4 sashing strips, but the block strips, including the final corner block,  are done.  I might finish by Sunday - - - a little late for the voting.  Of course, this won't be the smaller size, so probably doesn't qualify anyway.  It took 39 blocks, double the sashing strips, and lots more cornerstones.  I finally got the extra sashing, cornerstones, triangles, etc cut along with the pieces for the 3 extra blocks Tuesday night. 

Well, I hear the door opening so Rich is ready to head out on the road again.  This bouncing on bad roads is hard on this old body.  I go to therapy twice a week to help my pain, then spend 3 days bouncing in the truck!!!  The therapy is helping, though, and gaining a little faster than the roads are beating me up!  I would be a lot smarter to stay home and quilt and let this old body rest, but Rich needs someone with him all day, so l go as his rolling secretary and someone to keep him awake.

I love everyone's quilts and wish I could have mine there along with them.  Oh well - life always gets in the way of quilting!

Marsha - Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 395
LaDonna replied on Fri, May 10 2013 12:11 AM

I finished my top tonight!  I could not come up with a name containing "city" or "streets."  Nothing seemed to fit.  As I planned my borders I thought the 9-patches looked like berries and decided on "Huckleberry Lemonade."  My mother-in-law will love it!

Addicted to Quilting in Clancy, MT

• Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 11,455
weezee56 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 12:30 AM

LaDonna Your quilt looks great. Wonderful corners.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

LaDonna:

"Huckleberry Lemonade."  

LaDonna,

Love the name!  Your corner blocks really sparkle!  Well done!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,137
Points 40,875
Marilyn B replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:47 AM

LaDonna I love your corners and the name. Choosing one will be very hard. I am off to fabric stores this weekend to see if I can find more of my black to finish my borders. 

Paris, Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, May 10 2013 11:50 AM

Great corners, LaDonna!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 90
Jea replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:47 PM

I am way behind -- but do intend to finish at some point, have too many UFOs already in my closet.  We were traveling quite a bit over the last six weeks; but I did manage to get all the pieces cut and have the bits all sewn, so am now working on getting all those pieces sewn into the blocks.  I didn't have enough of one type of gold material to use for the light fabric, so I opted to do a "scrappy" version --- these are the three scrappy blocks that will be going into the quilt --- I divided the material requirements for the light to match what I had on hand ---- trying really hard not to add to the stash at this time!  And the border fabric has the gold and brown as well as red and blue in it.  This has been fun -- and definitely different from my usual choices!  Thanks for expanding my horizons.

Page 18 of 21 (302 items) «Prev1617181920Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use