Discussion and Questions regarding step 6

rated by 0 users
This post has 301 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,380

Marge P:
I am blown away that it was all quilted and finished.  I just finally finished my top today.As far as doing another one, yes, I think I will but I will enlarge the size of the strips.

Thanks Marge, I had some incentive to get it quilted and finished as I wanted to give it to my friend sooner than later.

Enlarging the pattern would be a good idea. I really like it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,380

Marge, your border is NOT plain. It's is really beautiful and elegant. The corner blocks are perfect. What a gorgeous quilt.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 6,450
Helen replied on Sun, May 5 2013 8:55 AM

MNancy and Marge P your quilts turned out beautiful!!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 5 2013 9:52 AM

I'd like to say "Thanks," but actually mine is not finished.  It is Marge P and Debbie-Do who finished their red & light quilts.  I can't find more of the red Moda Marbles to finish my border as they did, but I may try their corner technique with the border fabric that I will be using.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 319
Points 15,220
Kim Z replied on Sun, May 5 2013 10:06 AM

Bonita:

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my borders. It's nice to be done before the deadline for a change. I'm usually bringing up the rear.

Bonita:

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my borders. It's nice to be done before the deadline for a change. I'm usually bringing up the rear.

Bonita,

It looks like I'm bringing up the rear on this one.  What is the "deadline" for completion on this?

I mapped out my borders yesterday and have to wait for some fabric to get here to complete my top.  I, like a bunch of others, decided to stick with 2 colors in my quilt and my "planned" border fabric will go back in the stash.  I'll post my top as soon as I get it done.  Probably next weekend.

Kim

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, May 5 2013 1:45 PM

Thanks Judy & Dogs, Jen, and Helen for your comments on my top.  I am glad it is done.

Debbie-Do - You are so right!  I probably copied the idea from you and didn't even realize it.  What sized strips did you use on your corner blocks.  All I know is by using the 1 1/2" strips, it was much easier to do.

Judy T - thanks and I am already pondering colors for another one, but using a bit larger pieces.  Would love a Royal Blue one and I have a bolt of a beautiful fabric.  I at least I wouldn't run out of it like I almost did on the Burgandy.  

Are you on the road yet?  We aren't but will get there eventually.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, May 5 2013 1:50 PM

Kim Z:
It looks like I'm bringing up the rear on this one.  What is the "deadline" for completion on this?

I doubt you are bringing up the rear on this project - lots of us never finish them.  I still haveMQ7 and the July Scrappy that are not done.  Hopefully this summer will end and they will actually be done.

My "planned" border fabric also went into my stash again.  I couldn't believe that it wouldn't have worked with the pattern but that goes to show what little I knew.  I auditioned 5 different fabrics and came back to the dark in the top.  I think I have about half of a FQ left so it was close. :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215

Marge P:
Debbie-Do - You are so right!  I probably copied the idea from you and didn't even realize it.  What sized strips did you use on your corner blocks.  All I know is by using the 1 1/2" strips, it was much easier to do.

Marge, my strips were 1 7/8" and the block squared up to 1 5/8".  My inner white border is a one inch strip.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215

My planned border will be my back and thankfully Joann's still had the fabric so I was able to buy enough to finish it.  I'm planning a white binding.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:03 PM

Hi. All of the quilts are beautiful.  I love them all!  I have been thinking since we began that this would be a great pattern in a bigger scale.  But I am glad I did the small pieces, just to be able to say that I did it.   I also am 'running behind".  I was keeping up for a while but I have been working overtime for the last two weeks and my DSIL had to have back surgery so I went to their house to dog sit while they were out of town. I took my 'stuff' with me and did manage to get 2 blocks done and parts of a few more.  I'm happy to say that SIL is now home and is doing well. Then two days after I got back home our DS came up to to spend several days with us. He brought his dog with him and we are puppy sitting this weekend while he is doing his monthly Air Guard duty.  Our poor cat is hiding upstairs but DS will be coming to pick up his dog in a few hours and we will get back to normal.  Between all of the dogs and the overtime, it has been almost 10 days since I touched my sewing machine.  Can we say withdrawal ???

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,380

Marge. We are on the road. Left about 10 this am. Stopping near Chehalis for lunch. Another 78 miles to go. Have a great trip to Vegas. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 5 2013 4:32 PM

Debbie-do:
my strips were 1 7/8" and the block squared up to 1 5/8"

Stop.  I can't make sense of this math.  Each strip for the 9-patch was 1 7/8 going in?  Then what exactly squared up to 1 5/8?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215

MNnancy:

Debbie-do:
my strips were 1 7/8" and the block squared up to 1 5/8"

Stop.  I can't make sense of this math.  Each strip for the 9-patch was 1 7/8 going in?  Then what exactly squared up to 1 5/8?

hahahahaha... oops  ( don't ever ask me to do the math!)   The strips for the 9 patches in the corners were 1 7/8", the whole corner block squared up to 6 1/2" not 1 5/8" (keyboard gremlins)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 309
Points 7,265

I really like the 9-patch on point for your borders Marge, your colors really pop together. I don't think the mottled tan looks blah at all.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Sun, May 5 2013 7:13 PM

Nana:

First print off the layout pattern so that it will be easier to follow. As I do each row I like to fold the row that I have just finished down so that it is easier to keep up with where you are.

Nana,

I'm behind the curve and am just getting to the final step.  But reading the final step, you say print off the layout pattern to follow.  Where is the layout pattern?????

Thank you for this Mystery Quilt, this is my first online MQ and I am looking forward to the next one.

Lisa C.

Page 17 of 21 (302 items) «Prev1516171819Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use