Discussion and Questions regarding step 6

rated by 0 users
This post has 301 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 1 2013 3:54 PM

I'm in awe of those of you who have completed your borders.  I just finished assembling my rows.  As feared, the border fabric, even though a geometric design, does not go with the "city streets" at all, so I'll be looking around town to see if I can find more of my red and cream fabrics to create a border.  I originally purchased these in Branson, MO, during our spring retreat.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,735
Points 66,655
Bonita replied on Wed, May 1 2013 4:59 PM

Sandy you and your Mom have done a nice job on the tops.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,735
Points 66,655
Bonita replied on Wed, May 1 2013 5:00 PM

Martha, I'm with your kitty it looks great. I like the orange better too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,735
Points 66,655
Bonita replied on Wed, May 1 2013 5:05 PM

Jen, nice job on your reverse quilt. Gives it a different look.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Love everyone's finished quilt tops!  I love all the various color combinations and added designs in the borders in this 2 color pattern.  Awesome job, everyone!

Here's my finished MQ 8 top.  I love the finished pattern, Nana!  (Maybe the tiny pieces, not so much)!!  Folks who have seen it are all amazed by the blocks. 

I had to jettison my first border. It was a beautiful blue and green pattern of stylized trees. I was going to make a "street" as the first border with cross walks to the "park" in the outer border.  But the trees were just too big for the pattern in the finished blocks.  

So I "borrowed" the material for this border from another project. Its pattern is based on the Millefiori glass beads made in Murano, Italy. I added birds taking flight from the 4 corners. So this quilt is named "Piazza."  I live in Italy for 5 1/2 years as a child so this feels like home to me!

Nana--thanks for a another great mystery quilt!!  I know moderating this MQ  wasn't an easy with health concerns on the home front.  Hope your DH is on the mend and happy with his lower fat diet!  Thanks for hanging with us! Looking forward to your next pattern!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 1 2013 7:13 PM

Judy, your small print border works very well with this!  I also like the 2 narrow inner borders (plus dark blue strip added to main design).  Very nice!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045

Wow, I'm amazed at all the beautiful quilts, all the different colors are so fun to see. I finished mine, called it Bumblebee Squadron. I wanted to name it Pittsburgh Streets but my DH strongly objected. He hasn't gotten over the Seattle Seahawks loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

• Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Thanks, MNancy!  Glad you like it. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,050

JudyEE. I really like your borders. The whole quilt is beautiful. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

lcqultr46:

Love the borders on your Bubblebee squadron.   Great job!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

MNnancy:

I'm in awe of those of you who have completed your borders.  I just finished assembling my rows.  As feared, the border fabric, even though a geometric design, does not go with the "city streets" at all, so I'll be looking around town to see if I can find more of my red and cream fabrics to create a border.  I originally purchased these in Branson, MO, during our spring retreat.

I empathize!  My friends wanted me to make a navy and white border for my quilt.  But all I had left was a about a six inch strip of the blue.  No blue borders out of that! Hope you find some more of your fabrics somewhere, or something else that makes you happy!  

I really like your color combination. Nice!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Wed, May 1 2013 8:05 PM

lcqultr46:

Wow, I'm amazed at all the beautiful quilts, all the different colors are so fun to see. I finished mine, called it Bumblebee Squadron. I wanted to name it Pittsburgh Streets but my DH strongly objected. He hasn't gotten over the Seattle Seahawks loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl.

lcqultr46... WWWWOOOOOWWWWW!!!!  All the quilts I'm seeing are gorgeous, but I am in awe at yours!  That border is perfect for it, and makes for one heck of a stunning quilt!  I just can't get over how awesome that border is!  Did you piece that or did you buy fabric that looks like that?  I'm assuming you pieced it, but one never knows with all the cool fabrics out there nowadays.  If you did piece it, would you be willing to share instructions on how to create a border like that?  I'd love to be able and make a border like that for a future quilt, if you don't mind sharing!?

Can't wait to see photos of it quilted!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,120

Well I still havent been able to get to post in the media section so here is my finished City Streets at Night. I changed my mind on the print border and will use that fabric for the back.The color is more purple than blue as it looks in this picture. Everyones quilts look great! I'm so glad i decided to do this MQ and really happy with the finished look. Thanks Nana! 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,120

Judy that looks fantastic!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,793
Points 31,045
Roxana replied on Wed, May 1 2013 8:32 PM

Gina:

lcqultr46:

lcqultr46... WWWWOOOOOWWWWW!!!!  All the quilts I'm seeing are gorgeous, but I am in awe at yours!  That border is perfect for it, and makes for one heck of a stunning quilt!  I just can't get over how awesome that border is!  Did you piece that or did you buy fabric that looks like that?  I'm assuming you pieced it, but one never knows with all the cool fabrics out there nowadays.  If you did piece it, would you be willing to share instructions on how to create a border like that?  I'd love to be able and make a border like that for a future quilt, if you don't mind sharing!?

Can't wait to see photos of it quilted!

I'm with Gina, lcqultr46. I'd love to know how you completed the border. I hope that you are willing to share. I'm in awe of it also. It is a perfect fit. ... All the quilts have been great but this one takes the cake, so to speak! Thanks, lcqultr46, for sharing.

Page 12 of 21 (302 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use