Discussion and Questions regarding step 6

rated by 0 users
This post has 301 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,644
Points 65,420
Bonita replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 10:45 PM

I had to hunt for it Judy, but see one of your hst is doing it's own thing. I do love what you've done with your borders. You were brave enough to make more of those tiny 9 patches. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515

Karla:
The only thing I can see that might be wrong are the four corner blocks only have the cream color on 3 sides.  Is that what you're talking about.

No, in the photo you can't see the right border. I intended to change the color of the strips in the corners. As Donna said it's on the left, third block down. Got two HST going the wrong way. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 11:13 PM

Ah, now I see it...how about naming it "Wrong Way on a One Way Street".

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 11:19 PM

walla2butterfly:

okay so I got the Mystery part done, now to do the creative part. Just love this pattern. I realized how much when I was ironing the top, just so much going on. I think I have a name for mine but I will wait until I get the rest done before I christian it. 

Wanted to say who ever said something about using this pattern for some roman blinds what a great idea. I have been looking for some I have been looking for some inspiration like that.

Okay well here is my pic. Sorry about the pic. I had no one around to help me with the pic,and we have some uky grey skies today, so not a good pic day. Maybe i will have better luck when I finish it. Thanks again Nana , and I feel sorry for who ever has to follow this MQ, you have made this a tuff act to follow

Looks like the reverse of my colors...here is a picture with the first two borders on it...not really sure if I'm going to add more or not, so I'll just sleep on it and see if I'm more creative in the morning.

• Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 11:50 PM

Judy,

The "oops" in your quilt is really an easy fix; just frog a few little seams to free up the wayward HST's, plop them back in and sew 'em up again.  It can be awkward sewing a little tiny area in the middle of the bulk of the rest of the quilt top, but still fairly simple.  (I fix these "oops" all the time for some of my quilting customers and they never even knew it was there in the first place.)  Or, just leave it alone and call it a creative design choice!

Karla,

I vote no more borders; it is beautiful the way it is!

I just finished my second quilt top but I haven't been able to post any photos because my photographer (16 year old daughter) has been flitting around, being a social butterfly, and I can't pin her down long enough for any pics!  Oh well, time to start the third top...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,395
Points 115,515

Sheila:
The "oops" in your quilt is really an easy fix; just frog a few little seams to free up the wayward HST's, plop them back in and sew 'em up agai

Yea, Sheila I figure I'll have to do those two HST but  I just can't face it right now. I have so many wonkies in the quilt you'd think one little street corner out of wack wouldn't bother me...but it does. I was so proud of myself getting all those little HST going in the right direction. Well, you know what they say...Pride goeth before the Fall.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 933
Points 15,760
Marge P replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 2:12 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I took pictures, looked them over carefully at every step of constructing the top. I put the borders on and thought, "I love this one".

Then, just took another photo and felt like crying. Can you see it?

:-(  Yes, i finally saw it.  I know I need to go and check all my blocks before I put them together to double and triple check.  

I love the border you came up with Judy - you are so right, the rose fabric wasn't what your quilt needed.  You nailed this one.  Looks great!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 933
Points 15,760
Marge P replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 2:25 AM

All of the quilt tops posted so far are great - I really like the reversed color one but I think I would probably screw it up royally.  Love the purple/black combo - it looks like it is for royalty!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 933
Points 15,760
Marge P replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 2:29 AM

Man, I swear I didn't post the last message - was just starting it.  Wierd!

Kudo's to those who already have their borders on - I hope to put my blocks together tomorrow and then see what to do about the borders,  I actually woke up the other morning with the borders on my mind - grabbed a tablet and pen and started sketching.  

Karla - I think your quilt top looks great as is - perhaps a binding in the teal and it will be ready to go.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:38 AM

Judy T, I feel your pain.  I had the same problem.    Luckily you spotted it before you quilted it!!!   It turned out beautiful!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:41 AM

Karla, I just love your quilt!  The circle border adds a whole new dimention.  Great job!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 10:52 AM

I'm afraid I will miss someones quilt in all the posts.  Why is no one posting their quilt tops in the media section of this group?  In the past this is what we have done because they are easier to see, and don't get lost in all the posts.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 11:19 AM

walla2butterfly:
Just love this pattern. I realized how much when I was ironing the top, just so much going on.

I love your muted colors and the reversing is perfect with them.  This pattern can be used in so many color combinationa both as directed and reversed.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 11:34 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Then, just took another photo and felt like crying. Can you see it?

Sorry, Judy - - - it just jumped out at me, just like the one I caught on mine while sewing the segments.  At least I caught mine sooner!  It is just one little HST, BUT - - - much harder when the quilt is assembled.  I love how you changed the sashing triangles and corners.  It makes a more unified look with the border fabric.  I also like your striped border - had thought of something like that myself, but not sure I have enough fabric for my larger quilt this way.  I have lots of the muslin, but limited dark fabric.  I found some fabrics for borders, but not sure what I will use yet.  Got my blocks finished last night, pressed, and started sewing on some sashing.  Hopefully I can get more sewn today and also sew binding on a few quilts for on-the-road sewing.  Should be a quieter day for me.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 11:41 AM

Karla:
not really sure if I'm going to add more or not,

Unless you want a larger quilt, I think I would just bind with the teal and leave it as is.  I love your border.

Judy, I am blind!  I see now it is a pair of HSTs twisted the wrong way, not just one.  Not hard to fix, but aggrivating after having the top completed.

Page 5 of 21 (302 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use