Discussion and Questions re Step 5

rated by 0 users
This post has 194 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:55 AM

Leslie, wanna race?   I haven't started sewing yet, and I don't have a mat with me, so I need to go shopping before I start, you'll be way ahead when I finally get to it.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:04 AM

gini:

Leslie, wanna race?   I haven't started sewing yet, and I don't have a mat with me, so I need to go shopping before I start, you'll be way ahead when I finally get to it.

Gini, lol i seriously doubt it,  digging in the dirt is calling my name, been out planting, so by the time i get done playing in the dirt my hands will be hurting so you will probably win the race LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,005
Sandy replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 1:52 PM

I am really having fun doing this MQ8 and would get right on the step when it came out... but I have a presentation tomorrow and I have to work on that and it make take hours since it involves the computer... seems like that takes the time for me to get it just right to then have the overhead/power point 'whatever"  :)   

I am bummed that I make not get to work on my MQ till tuesday :(    but if I get myself in gear here I could do some tonight...  I do have two blocks put together.....

Some of the squares are so very perfect that people are sharing and I love that, I hope one day to get to that level of sewing... I really did try and take my time and after people started showing their trimming and squaring up etc, I did start doing that too, anyway I hope to get better as I keep working on these blocks :)

Sandy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 561
Points 9,895
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 2:17 PM

hi everyone. Well I am basically done. When I was squaring everything up I realized that 3 of my HST were flipped so I  need to disconnect them and flip. then I will be done. Actually pretty proud that I didnt do more oops , with reversing the colors in the pattern.  I am really liking this block. Some of it is hard work but good for you (right?) my scants must be just a little to scant as my blocks turned out a hair to big and had to get closer to points then I wanted to when I was squaring up. 

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 2:36 PM

Thanks for posting that about squaring up W2Butterfly!  I think I'll complete one block and square it up right away to see if I need to adjust seams.  Love your fabrics, by the way!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 3:54 PM

I have all HST sewn just have to do cutting and pressing now.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,292
Points 45,710
Angele replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 7:27 PM

Everybody's blocks look amazing! I finally caught up with all the steps. I too had to make one complete block before working on the rest. So here it is.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 561
Points 9,895
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 8:09 PM

like your material Angele block looks nice

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:31 PM

Phew, I finished one block.  It's definitely not quick.  For beginners, I recommend that you understand about "seam nesting" (see YouTube video) and then follow Sheila's pressing instructions on page 4 of this discussion.  I also recommend pinning when you get to the last step of sewing the five rows together.  Nest and pin the seams where they need to match for every 2 inch block.

My finished block is not perfect, but I'm pleased with it.  It's about 8 1/8 inches, but I'm not going to trim it until I see how it will fit with surrounding pieces. I'm hoping to not lose the points on the half square triangles.

Tomorrow I'm quilting with girlfriends, so I'm hoping to get farther with these blocks.  One of my friends is just learning to quilt, however, so I may end up working with her for a good part of the time.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,274
Points 26,970
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:38 PM

walla2butterfly:
Actually pretty proud that I didnt do more oops , with reversing the colors in the pattern.

You did very well with the reversing of the colors.  I probably would have had to rewrite the instructions to lessen the confusion of what goes where.  I really like the switch and love your colors.  I almost reversed colors in the second set of blocks I am making for the larger quilt, but decided I wouldn't experiment with a mixture this time.  Maybe I will with another quilt - - - there will be more!!  I like this block and have ideas swimming in my head for others - - - and maybe the dark-light, light-dark combination will be one of them.  I am one of those nuts that like working with small pieces, but usually stitch them by hand.  This went so well that I may attempt some of my small-piece quilts on the machine.  I had only one corner that the machine tried to eat and very few snarls when I ran out of bobbin thread.  Those are so much worse on small pieces and the smaller stitches I use on them. 

I have strips of about 18 blocks all ready for sewing together into the final blocks.  That will give me 22 done, hopefully tomorrow, if things go as planned.  I still need to trim 110 HSTs, but have been resting the hands and wrist before I finish them.  I soon will run out of trimmed ones, so need to get back to them.  Wish I could trim them in the truck, but I don't think using a rotary cutter on rough roads is a wise idea!!!  I guess I will have to get out one of the hand-sewn quilts to work on since I haven't gotten bindings sewn on to the finished quilts.  That job HAS to be done and is much safer to do in the truck.  I am now back on rolling-secretary duty.  The helpers have seemed to have flown the coop, so it is just the two old tired people.  We have handled the cattle alone before - - - before surgeries and more achy bodies, but we can do it again.  The farmers are more helpful now, especially when they know I might have to handle the cows if they aren't there.  They know what both of us have been through the last few years - - - we aren't 25 any more!!!  Cattle truckers are harder to find now, so they treat us well.  They don't want to lose us!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:23 PM

Everyone's blocks are looking good.   It is really neat to see all the different color combos.

i have one block finished,   I don't have all the steps done,  I couldn't wait.   I don't have enough of the one inch strips, so darn, another trip to the quilt shop tomorrow.  I think I saw the Sam fabric there today, so I have my fingers crossed. I wanted to get all the steps done this week.  I almost brought some extra fabric, but decided to save space, bad move.  

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,292
Points 45,710
Angele replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 7:07 AM

Great block Nancy.  With the snow/rain mix we had yesterday, I got to the same place you are. I also noticed that some of my little nine patch needed to have some seams taken in a few threads to nest together perfectly with the other rows.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 561
Points 9,895
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 8:50 AM

Thanks Marsha, how do you do all the sewing by hand. I just hate it. I attempted a quilt with nothing but hand sewing. think it was a block of the month so thought I could do that. nope slowly fell behind. well that was several years ago. I think I have actually stole some of it's material .. knowing that I probably will never get back to it as long as I have something else to do. But I am sure that there is always laundry and toilets to clean lol Good luck on  the cattle and keeping your material clean. Nope I wouldn't attempt any cutting while in transit

Looks like it is going to be an awesome day here in the PNW

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 9:41 AM

I am loving everyone's blocks.   You folks are doing a great job on these.  I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 152
Points 4,455

Nana:

I am loving everyone's blocks.   You folks are doing a great job on these.  I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far.

Nana, thanks so much for this mystery quilt.  I am having a blast.  I have never worked on anything that required so much precision and I'm learning a lot.

Martha, Parker CO

Page 6 of 13 (195 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use