Discussion and Questions re Step 5

rated by 0 users
This post has 194 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 5:14 PM

Wow!  Some of your blocks look so pretty and SO precise!  I haven't even started this step, and I'm already getting nervous about getting everything to line up correctly.  Hope to sew on Monday.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,381
Points 29,060
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 6:24 PM

I love how everyone's blocks are looking.  I did 4 blocks and hoped to have pictures today, but when I went to press them, the middle strip was bubbly.  I made my seams too scant and had to frog all four and stitch a 2nd seam inside the first on most seams.  The more elaborate strips all measured right - only the one with the most plain squares were off.  I stitched from the triple strip piece instead of the plain square.  I think sewing so close to the seem allowance threw me off!  I will try the rest from the plain square side.  They are now resewn and look a lot better.  Just have to press and take pictures.  I am trying to get the rest of my HSTs trimmed, but have to do that in small steps because my hands keep cramping up.  432 HSTs times 4 sides each is a lot of trimming!  These old arthritic hands and wrist are really protesting.  I hope to finish trimming tomorrow and get a pictrure taken, but Rich has other ideas.  He needs a haircut and wants to go to Walmart ON SUNDAY!!  One good thing is we will be going out to eat - - - and at a restaurant, not McDonald's! 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:17 PM

The sneezing and watery eyes have stopped so I worked on the first square again.  I believe I have it right now,   Please tell me it is right now.  I also took a little bit, not much but a little bit of the wonkyness (a new word???) out.

• Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

Woot! Woot! Got 'em done and it's not even Thursday night! Now I gotta square them up & hope for no frogging. Bring on #6!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 8:57 PM

Good Grief ladies I am still working on those dang 1 inch strips LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,381
Points 29,060
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 9:20 PM

Decided to press and take pictures before I collapse for the night.  Here is picture of redone first 4 blocks - only 32 more to go! 

Plans for tomorrow changed again.  Daughter from PA called tonight to say they are coming in the morning, possibly with oldest grandson and his family.  Will be nice to see the great-grands again.  Youngest is now 9 months - haven't seen them since Christmas!  Guess Rich gets an early morning haircut without me.  They are bringing something for dinner and we will eat at MIL's house.  She will love to see the little ones, but probably will be confused as to who they belong to!  She has been getting slower lately, so maybe it is good for them to come now.  She slept until Rich and her caretaker woke her at 11:30 this morning.  That is very unusual for her.  Caretaker couldn't wake her, but all Rich had to do was say MA loudly, and she woke right up.  He is her favorite and always wakes up whenever he comes in, if she is asleep in her chair.  This time she was in bed, and was more deeply asleep.  She says she can't get to sleep at night, so we assume she didn't get to sleep until early in the morning.  She usually watches TV until 11:00 at night, so doesn't get to bed very early. 

Our youngest daughter will come also with her 15 yr old daughter.  Between the girls, dinner will be taken care of - thankfully - because I didn't shop for more than 2 this week and don't have the strength to cook like I used to.  Getting old isn't fun.  99 yr old MIL usually has more energy than I have!!  I hope she has it tomorrow as she will need it with 2 granddaughters - one with husband, 2 great grandchildren - one with wife, and 3 great-great grandchildren to tire her out.  This kind of plan-change is just fine! 

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:00 PM

Donna:
Please tell me it is right now.

It's right now, Donna!  Good job!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 93
Points 3,140
Sheila replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:00 PM

Donna,

You got it right this time!  And don't worry about the wonkyness, usually blocks will square themselves up enough to be acceptable all on their own, when you add sashing and borders.  Besides, the Quilt Police are the only ones to make a big deal about imperfections, and you can make them go away with one jab of your seam ripper!

Only 17 more blocks to go, hang in there!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:00 PM

Leslie :
I am still working on those dang 1 inch strips

You've got a brand new sewing machine, Leslie!  Kick it into gear already!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:13 PM

LOL Sheila,  thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,760
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 11:17 PM

Donna:

The sneezing and watery eyes have stopped so I worked on the first square again.  I believe I have it right now,   Please tell me it is right now.  I also took a little bit, not much but a little bit of the wonkyness (a new word???) out.

It's a beautiful thing!  Glad you're feeling better :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,528
Points 31,105
Diana replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:22 AM

I'm with you, Leslie.   I'm still trying to put those little 1 inch pieces into 9-patches from step 3.  I've printed out step 4 and 5 but I think it's going to be awhile before I get there.  Did anyone notice there is no discussion for step 3?  Maybe we were afraid to say anything or like me, still dealing with it.  I think I'll still be working on it when we get together in June at Smoky Mtn. retreat.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,528
Points 31,105
Diana replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:33 AM

Is,   To keep your sewing machine eating those corners, use a leader....which is a piece of scrap (or some people use pieces that are straight pieces that will be used in another quilt).  Start sewing on the straight pieces and then chain piece your sharp pieces.  It should keep the machine from eating those corners.  Hope this helps.

Diana in East Tn.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:50 AM

Diana:
I'm with you, Leslie.   I'm still trying to put those little 1 inch pieces into 9-patches from step 3

Diana, im still trying to just get the strips sewn  together, LOL im kind of a slacker.

Nancy, im trying LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,865

Diana:

.  Did anyone notice there is no discussion for step 3?  Maybe we were afraid to say anything or like me, still dealing with it. 

Diana in East Tn.

Diana, the discussion for step 3 is included in the discussion for step 2. Nana wasn't able to set up one for 3 so we just kept using 2.

Martha, Parker CO

Page 5 of 13 (195 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use