Discussion and Questions re Step 5

rated by 0 users
This post has 194 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 11:26 AM

Sheila , how are you doing with all of your MQ8 's ?  Just thinking about you as I was working on my blocks, but I bet you are an accomplished quilter not a newbie like myself.  

Sandy

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 12:14 PM

Well here is the first of my blocks.  Woke up this morning sneezing, sniffling, etc.  so it is hard to concentrate.  As someone else said, my 9 patch strips did not fit,  probably should not have taken a scant seem,  so each one had to be adjusted as I was sewing.  It is a little wonky,  so mine is called, "Wonky City Streets" lol,  but as  Sheila,  I too am a newbie and pretty pleased with the outcome.  Probably will not do any more today since I can see with these watery eyes, but wanted to get one done.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,395
Points 23,255
Debbie replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 12:38 PM

Yes, got the first block done... mine's a little wonky but after some frogging, I got all the pieces in the right places.  I get confused since I swapped my lights and darks and have to undo to get it correct but here it is.

gosh, itl ooked more purple on my laptop.  may have to try the plastic trick.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:01 PM

Sandy:

Sheila , how are you doing with all of your MQ8 's ?  Just thinking about you as I was working on my blocks, but I bet you are an accomplished quilter not a newbie like myself.  

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I am zooming along on Step 5; I've finished two out of the five, so I think they will be all done this weekend!  My progress may seem impressive to some of you, but it is because I have NO LIFE outside of quilting; this is ALL I do, all day, every day!  The rest of you have lives and I am impressed with all of your accomplishments!

As to the ironing of seams:  "A" segment; iron the seams toward the middle (the 2 middle seams should already be this way)        "B" segment; iron seams towards the outside             "C" segment; iron seams toward the outside         Doing it this way makes all the seams "lock" together nicely for the 5 segments.

I ironed the long seams open after final assembly of the blocks to reduce some of the bulk....when it comes to quilting this, your machine will be very happy!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:05 PM

Donna:

Well here is the first of my blocks.  Woke up this morning sneezing, sniffling, etc.  so it is hard to concentrate.  As someone else said, my 9 patch strips did not fit,  probably should not have taken a scant seem,  so each one had to be adjusted as I was sewing.  It is a little wonky,  so mine is called, "Wonky City Streets" lol,  but as  Sheila,  I too am a newbie and pretty pleased with the outcome.  Probably will not do any more today since I can see with these watery eyes, but wanted to get one done.

Donna, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think your top 2  rows are each upside down.  You can blame it on the watery eyes! :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,445
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:22 PM

Donna:

Donna

Your top two rows are upside down.   The dark triangles should point downward instead of upward.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 410
Teri replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:24 PM

I like your block, having trouble uploading a pic of mine, but being a newbie I am pleased with the way they are coming out. It is more gratifying than just sewing sqaures together. LOL  I used purple and pale pink. Would like to say as a newbie, wish I had checked what size each segments should hve been when completed.

Have a wonderful day!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:33 PM

Oh Crap,  you are right  more froggin for me.    But it will have to wait  time for a shower and then lunch at the local bar.  I did just finish making dessert for tonight.  It is Chocolate Lasagna.  

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 265

Thanks Sheila for helping with the pressing directions. Once I sat down with the "segments" in front of me it  really did make sense which way to press them. Everyones blocks look TERRIFIC!!  Will post pics one of these days when I get a few more done.  

Kathy in MI.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 265

Thanks Nana for the advise.  Sheila also helped and as I told her, once I had the "segments" in front of me it all made sense,

PS.  I sure love the stiletto. It made my day.

Kathy in MI.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 325
KathyF replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:52 PM

Judy

Don't feel lonesome, I did the same thing. Had to rib them out and do it the right way.  I really pays to read twice and sew once.  Hopefully will get started on Step 5 this weekend. Working part-time gets in the way of quilting.

Kathy

Kathy F

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 325
KathyF replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 2:00 PM

You know, sometimes when you make mistakes like that, you have created a new pattern, may not be all bad.  I did that with the pattern Lovers Knot.

Good Luck and hope you are feeling better.

Kathy

Kathy F

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

One down, 17 to go!! ARGH!! Just started Step 4 this morning, but I was anxious to get one block together. Need to get a process down and focus on one step at a time. I tend to get bogged down thinking about how much I still have to do. Back to HSTs!!

Everybody's pics look great!!

Maryann

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 4,845

I have been busy chain sewing, but stopped to put enough together so I could complete a block.  I love the way they are all looking. 

Martha, Parker, CO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,391
Points 115,420

KathyF:

Judy

Don't feel lonesome, I did the same thing. Had to rib them out and do it the right way.  I really pays to read twice and sew once.  Hopefully will get started on Step 5 this weekend. Working part-time gets in the way of quilting. Kathy

Thanks Kathy, how sweet of you. Now I don't feel so alone. My dad did a lot of carpentry work and said he had to measure three times before cutting once. You'd think I would have learned from him. :-)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 4 of 13 (195 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use