Discussion and Questions re Step 5

rated by 0 users
This post has 194 Replies | 39 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 410
Teri replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:06 PM

I am new, in more ways than one.  Decided to try something other than charm squares. My blocks are not going together nicely at all. The points in my HST don't come to the top like the photos I  have seen. My lines with the next row don't match up. Yet everything measured just as the directions called for. Wonder where I went wrong?

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 265

Nana,

Thoughts and prayers for you and your DH.  Just want to know if there is a specific way to press the HST once they are sewn to the 9 patch-strip-9 patch block and how should we press the HST  double units, toward the middle or toward the end HST??  Thanks for the advise.  This is my first time doing any sort of mystery quilt, let alone one done on line.  Also, did I mention that I decided to do 3 of them and so far am doing OK and up to date with all the blocks for all 3 of them.  Thanks again for all the help.

Kathy in MI.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:47 PM

Beautiful work, ladies.  Aren't these small pieces just a little nerve wracking!!?  I found using a stilletto helped a lot keeping things in place as I stitched.  Here's mine  with the background I've picked out.

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 417
Points 10,440
Donna replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 12:05 AM

Trimming of Hsts done.  Fingers sore.  lol.  Going to bed now,  will start sewing tomorrow.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,005
Sandy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:30 AM

Debbie-do:
I found using a stilletto helped a lot

yep those always worked for me  LOL  

sorry it is very late here 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,005
Sandy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 1:37 AM

Teri:
I am new, in more ways than one.  Decided to try something other than charm squares. My blocks are not going together nicely at all. The points in my HST don't come to the top like the photos I  have seen. My lines with the next row don't match up. Yet everything measured just as the directions called for. Wonder where I went wrong?

Teri,

I am with you :)  I have done several quilts but not that needed to be precise ..... so I am working with mine too, I kept using the scant 1/4 inch on some of the seams I think I should have gone back to just 1/4 inch?  mine are not lining up that well either, but hey this is a good learning experience for me. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

Sew, sew PRETTY!! (Yes, I meant to put 'sew'.)  :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:47 AM

Lisa, yes I did switch my dark and light.....and Debbie-do, I love your red and white blocks they really pop!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 410
Teri replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 8:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Sandy. At least your HST came out like they were suppose to. Your block looks VERY nice. Hopefully today will be better. Have a wonderful day.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 8:23 AM

WOW, ladies!  all those are looking so good, Debbie - love the red and  gosh, now I can't remember who all showed their blocks but I'm impressed.  trying to finish up a table topper and almost done with it but had to go back and make an extra piece cuz I made too many of one color and not enough of the other.  luckily I had enuf material left over.  will have to wait till I get the red thread off the machine. 

I have also switched my darks and lights so glad to see someone else did for me to look at.  sometimes, I found it hard to visualize - I need it in front of me, preferably in color but B&W works! 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 8:58 AM

Kathy

I just tried to make sure I pressed each row opposite.   I think I laid mine out in groupings to make each block and then pressed each strip.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 9:28 AM

Sandy:
  LOL   Now, I wasn't expecting that!   Thank you for starting my day off with a laugh. :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:07 AM

Nancy

You will have 18  8" blocks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:13 AM

Love the blocks some have shown.  Can't wait til I catch up.  I'll be picking up my straight stitch needle plate soon maybe then sewing machine will stop digesting my corners of pieces.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 410
Teri replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 11:14 AM

YAY!!!! There is hope for me yet....

Page 3 of 13 (195 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use