Please post questions regarding step 4

rated by 0 users
This post has 113 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I think I am going to have to put this project on hold until I get my DGS's quilt in finished. I am going to Florida next week for 10 days, too, so that is setting me back on the quilting of Jacob's quilt. But I will get er done. I can't let Nancy down with the twin quilts!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:58 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
The dramatic look is what drew me to the roses on black in the first place.

I love your roses on black.  It is the perfect choice as the roses bring the colors of the quilt to the border and I really like the contrast of the black.

I hoped to have pictures of my double batch of parts and pieces, but had to go with Rich in the trailer today.  It seems I am back on duty again!  His helpers have gone back to work this week so he was going to go alone.  He isn't ready yet as his knee is still weak and his strength isn't back yet.  Fortunately all the farmers were available to help load the cattle on the trailer, so he didn't risk getting hurt.  I couldn't help him much, but maybe two cripples can make a fair team to handle things alone.  I did write out all the receipts - he hates to do that!!!

All my HSTs are done but only 18 are trimmed.  My arm wore out yesterday - - I finished sewing, set seams, cut apart, pressed open and then started trimming.  This was after 2 days of physical therapy in a row!  I wore out too soon to finish.  Tonight I am exhausted after bouncing on the rough roads all day - - - my neck thinks my head weighs 3 times it's normal weight and doesn't want to hold it up any longer!!  Time for bed.  Maybe I can finish HST trimming tomorrow and get pictures.  Then on to step 5!!!  I haven't decided on a border yet - - - will wait until everything is together before I decide.  I may need to make more blocks to make the quilt large enough for a college quilt.  This will be for one of the granddaughters so won't be needed so soon.  The one graduating this year is a grandson and I have just gotten the last of the fabrics (all hunting - wildlife themed) in the mail today.  Now I need to wash them and design the quilt.  This will be an original with a deer panel for the center.  I just found that last week. I think I will make 2 - one also for his roommate who is his cousin and his hunting partner.  I got two panels because I liked it so much.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 625
SherrieLM replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:46 PM

Martha,

Great idea! I was ironing Seattle Seahawk fabric today as backing for Grandson's quilt and thought about how cool the mystery quilt would have been in team colors with the team fabric as a border. If it wasn't for those tiny pieces, I might have started another one. Yours is too perfect!

Like many others, I am struggling to choose a border fabric. I have ideas in my head to incorporate a third color, but I need to see how this is going to go together....

So fun seeing everyone's ideas......and I've learned so many new techniques.

Sherrie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

Finished step 4 - just in time! Excuse the odd coloring in this pic - the lighting in here bites.

Can't wait for step 5! 

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:22 PM

Me, too, Quiltcrone!  Big sigh after finishing tonight.  It certainly took a lot longer to press and trim than it did to sew all these pieces.  I've noticed everyone has their dog ears trimmed off except me.  Too bad, they're staying on there.

Elaine, sorry, but you are not allowed to go to Florida until our twin quilts are done.  Hup, hup!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,915
Points 41,005
ls2116 replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:23 PM

I'm gonna try one this way and see how it measures up.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 305
Francie replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:24 PM

Finally caught up! I have had company and have been doing some home improvements.  I have quite a few half square triangles to square up, I just ran out of steam. 

Francie

Francie

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,330
Donna replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 11:22 PM

Started trimming my HSTs tonight.  Got my Bloc-Loc in the mail today.  It is still slow doing, trimming on all 4 sides, but they do appear to be coming out perfect.  Something that rarely happens with my pieces.  LOL.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 11:39 PM

oh new step... AWESOME! wont start tonight but awesome. thinking bear claws to go with my border material ..maybe

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 67
Points 960
Peggy replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:47 AM

So sorry to hear about your husband's being sick.  My heart goes out to you as I have recently been in a very similar position.  Be sure you do take care of yourself so you can take care of him when he needs you.

The instructions for Step 4 seem pretty clear and we can help each other when you not available.

Prayers and positive thoughts to you, your husband and family.. God Bless............ Peggy L.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 67
Points 960
Peggy replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:51 AM

This is our 'quilting retreat' weekend so I should be able to get these done for sure.  Will post if there is WI FI service available.  If not, have a great time with your projects and stay safe.  Here in MN we just had another foot of snow (on April 19th).  Good time to lock up somewhere with good friends and our sewing machines..  Be safe!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 7:52 AM

Is2116 that is what I do and it works out well.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 7:55 AM

Francie your green and gold blocks are beautiful as is your MNancy red and beige and Francie your orange and yellow as well.  I can't decide which color combo is my favorite!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 8:55 AM

Nana:
Now if I can just get him thru the lifestyle changes....no more fried food....and boy does he love his fried food.....  we may just make it.

Nana, you and Lewis WILL make it, but those lifestyle changes are the hardest - - - it will be hard to hold him down because he is a MAN!  They don't want to slow down to allow their bodies to heal - they have the feeling that any procedure done to them is an instant cure and doesn't need any action on their part!  I am dealing with that again with Rich and his knee.  Dr told him 6 months to heal - it is now just 3 months and he is grouchy because he is lame when he gets in and out of the truck too much or uses the chainsaw.  He also still tires easily. 

Good luck holding Lewis down so he can heal and I hope this was a wake-up call for him and his eating patterns.  This may have scared him enough to toe the line --- for a while --- We have been there also!  Hugs to both of you and you get plenty of rest! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 9:04 AM

Francie:
I have quite a few half square triangles to square up, I just ran out of steam. 

Francie, I love your colors - my kind of muted, antique type.  I am at the same stage as you - have 18 HSTs trimmed but have 432 to do instead of 216 because I am making the quilt larger.  I also ran out of steam Wed. night and was riding in a truck on rough roads all day yesterday, so didn't have time or energy to trim any more last night.  Hope to finish today - then off to the next step!

Page 7 of 8 (114 items) «Prev45678Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use