Please post questions regarding step 4

rated by 0 users
This post has 113 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 4:52 PM

Helen and JudyEE, your completed steps look great!  I'm not getting as far as quickly this week.  Hope I get it done by Friday.  (I got pulled away from sewing this afternoon by TV reports coming out of Boston where my brother lives.  He and his work crew volunteer their time helping at the marathon each year.  They are all fine!)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 395
LaDonna replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 5:23 PM

Clancy is about 10 miles south of Helena.  I actually live about 6 miles up in the mountains outside of Clancy.

Addicted to Quilting in Clancy, MT

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,230

MNnancy:

I had to draw a line on the tool for a 2-inch square since it is marked for other sizes.  Is that what you do?

Nancy, my 6-1/2" Quilt in a day ruler has markings for even inches and 1/2 inches. Here's a photo:

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155

You line up the stitching line at 2" not the bottom of the triangle. Try one to make sure it works before doing them all. It took me several times using this ruler before I remembered that. 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155

The ruler is available at www.joanns.com for $7.49 or at www.quiltinginaday.com for $11.95.  Of course, they will add shipping and tax. Good luck finding it. I realize this isn't really much help when you need to finish the triangles by Friday, but it would be good to have for future squares.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

Nana, my thoughts and prayers go to you, your husband and your family.  As everyone is saying, you need to be sure to take care of you ~ DRINK, eat and SLEEP!!  Easy for us all to say, but you won't be of any help to anyone if you don't take care of you first.   The doctors will do what they need to for your husband, but only you can take care of yourself.   Again, all good thoughts and prayers being sent your way.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Nana, my thoughts and prayers are winging your way along with everyone else's.  

I can't reinforce enough the advice to take care of yourself - a very wise rabbi once told me "if you collapse, those who depend on you don't get the help they need."  So for Heaven's sake, although I know its the most difficult thing right now, pace yourself and take care of yourself, it's going to be a looong haul. 

With all my heart,

-- Bayla

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 8:37 PM

MNnancy so glad to hear your brother and his work crew are all fine!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:58 AM

I want to thank everyone for all your thoughts and prayers.  They have been much appreciated.   Lewis got home yesterday and is doing ok for now.   He is borderline depressed because of all the changes that are going to have to be made as well as his not being able to do the things he wants to do yet.   The cardiac cath on  Saturday showed 4 blocked arteries 2 of which were completely blocked.   There had also been a previous heart attack with permanent damage to the back of the heart so they didn't attempt to stent the artery going to that part of the heart.   They did put a stent in the other one and are managing the 2 smaller arteries with meds.  They also found that he didn't have pneumonia but congestive heart failure.   Now he is on lots of meds which is very hard on someone that never takes anything more than a vitamin.   I could count the number of tylenol he has taken in our lifetime together on 2 hands.   Now if I can just get him thru the lifestyle changes....no more fried food....and boy does he love his fried food.....  we may just make it.

Everyones steps are looking so pretty.   You guys are doing great.   And a big thanks for Gini stepping in to help out.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635
Bethiebear replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:27 PM

Nancy ~ May God bless and keep your brother and your entire family. It takes special people to be able to put their own lives on the line to help people in need, especially in a horrific incident such as what happened in Boston yesterday.   Good will prevail over evil ~ we all need to be like your brother and the hundreds of other volunteers ~ stand as one ~ Americans ~ over the evil that constantly threatens us because of our beliefs of freedom and happiness!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 93
Points 3,140
Sheila replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 1:53 PM

Nana,

I am so very glad to see that things are looking better for your Hubby!  But, it does seem that you are going to have your hands full; just remember, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks...as long as the teacher is more stubborn than the old dog!  Stay strong!

I am back on track with Step 4:  I lost a couple of quilting days because of a bout with flu, but am now in the pressing phase of Quilt #4, and should be done with #5 by Wednesday!  Also noticed that there are no small, tedious pieces left to do, so the rest of our assembly steps are going to be a piece of cake...Yippee!!!  (I hope?)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 4:23 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Nancy, my 6-1/2" Quilt in a day ruler has markings for even inches and 1/2 inches. Here's a photo:

Judy, I don't know why I thought the side with the one inch solid lines was for use on something else.  Duh!  I'll blame it on the drugs.  The skin doc did some more carving and blasting on my face because he didn't like how it was healing (skin cancer reconstruction from November), so I was a bit spacey yesterday.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 506
Points 10,245
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 6:49 PM

Ok, it's now almost 8pm and I have been working on and off since around 9am to finish these HST's....I think that for each one I square up they are mutilplying themselves cause my pile doesn't seem to be getting any smaller....I feel like I am drowning in HST's!!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 2:46 AM

Here are my blocks for Step 4 -  I used the triangulations program and had 9 sheets of paper printed off - each page would make 24 HST's - I sewed them all - cut them and pressed them and I only had 215!   I looked and looked for the missing one - finally gave up and made another set of two so now I have 217.  I wonder where and when the "missing" one will show up.  I counted them into stacks of 10 SEVERAL times.

I also have one of those block-lok rulers that I purchased about a year ago after using Donna B's ruler.  I know it came into my house and it is in the sewing room - somewhere - I think a good cleaning is in order.

Anyway here are my blocks and the tan pattern has decided to show up in this photo.  If the picture is sideways (I rotated it correctly in Picasa and it shows it is right) please forgive me.  I hate to look at pictures that are sideways.

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:49 AM

Nice job, Marge!  It looks like the Triangulations papers gave you perfect triangle squares!  I like your light print.  Maybe the trick to getting the nuances of our fabrics to show up is to shoot it through plastic.

Page 4 of 8 (114 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use