This post has 113 Replies | 39 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 10:51 PM

gini:
sleeping less is the answer.

Oh man, I'm a growly old bear if I don't get enough sleep.

I have my 216 HSTs sewn!  I still need to press & trim them, and then do the second part of this week's sewing.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,577
Points 118,625

MNnancy:
I have my 216 HSTs sewn!  I still need to press & trim them, and then do the second part of this week's sewing.

I'm trying to sewing the HST but keep getting distracted. I'm really liking this MQ8 pattern.

A very close friend just found out her husband has inoperable cancer (Lung, spine and lymph nodes). I want to make her a quilt and my eye fell on the packet of charm squares I received in the exchange at Branson. I stopped MQ8 for the day and put the squares together into a lap quilt, 45x59. I love the way it's turning out. Unless my memory has failed me I think the charm square packet was in the gift I picked from Thea.  Thea, if you're "listening",  the charm pack came from you, right?

I stitched the top yesterday and today. Tomorrow I will start quilting it and will post a picture in the general area when done.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 432
Points 11,070
Donna replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:58 PM

MNnancy  I am at the same point.  they are sewn but not pressed or trim.  Going to bed now.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 365
fzytwo replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:03 AM

Nana, thinking of you and DH and wishing all the best and a speedy recovery.  It will be nice having your daughter to help out too.  We will miss you, but don't worry about us.  Besides we have Nana in training, Gini and she is great.

I am using Thangles to make my HST and was so excited when I had them all sewn - until I counted as I cut apart and realized my math was bad - I had only done half of them! UGH!!  I just finished the other half and ironed about 20 of them.  I was wondering why I had so much fabric left - now I know.

I did the second step first so that is ready to go.  I also played around with the nine patches and re-did a few.  Most of my problems were poor pressing and not getting the seams out properly, but I did have to re-sew a few.  I also had to make 3 new 9 patches because my frogging was a little too intense and I ripped the fabric.  

Tomorrow is ironing and trimming if I find the time.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580
quiltcrone replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:20 AM

Whew! Long, but productive day. Got the second half of the "assignment" done and all of the HST's sewed, cut & pressed. Have about 75 trimmed. Seeing double now so off to bed & tomorrow's another day!

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:40 AM

I'm still trying to finish step #3.  With my fat little sausages known as fingers have so much trouble trying to hold onto them and sew at the same time.  I keep working on them but it's slow going.  I don't know how Gini does her applique with those teeny, tiny pieces.  And to hand sew her flying geese to make a Dutchman's puzzle that ended up a grand total of 1 inch square.  How do you do it Gini???   Between the fat fingers and arthritis, I don't know which is giving me more trouble.  Maybe I'll do the HST's and go back to the little pieces later.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,390
Points 46,930
Angele replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 9:03 AM

Nana, don't worry. Please take care of you and your DH. Prayers going your way.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 11:09 AM

gini:
now we just have to hope that nana doesn't brain him for being stubborn before the drs. get him back on his feet.  

Stubborn is good - - - that means he has the will to survive!  Nana better watch out - - - when he recovers, he will be better than he has been for quite a while.  This has been brewing for a long time to have so many blockages. 

I went through this with Rich and it is a miracle he is with us since we are so far from hospitals here.  30 miles to the nearest emergency room and our son driving him there in less than 20 min helped along with a good emergency room staff, double dose of clot-buster drugs and an 80 mile 12 minute ride in a helicopter.  He was in surgery minutes after landing.  They were prepping him as they were rolling the gurney to the room.  If we had waited for an ambulance, he would never have made it.  Here it takes 15 to 20 minutes for people to respond, then 10 more minutes to get here! Then the ride to the hospital.   

It was very hard for me to hold him down long enough for him to heal!  I am sure Nana will have the same problem!

Nana, loads of hugs for you and take care of yourself.  You will need rest before he comes home.  I am sure he will be a handful when he is supposed to be resting to heal.  Don't worry about MQ 8.  It is in good hands with Gini. 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,390
Points 46,930
Angele replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 12:45 PM

I finished step 3this am. Now I have sewn about 30 of step 4. Here is #3

As soon as I'm done step 4 I'll post a picture.

Angèle  from NWO

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85
Lynne replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 2:09 PM

Getting thru the hst.  About halfway done. So glad for my 2" square ruler template and revolving cutting mat.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 46,935
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 3:18 PM

ARGH!  I just realized I marked all my squares on the right side instead of the wrong!  I was so focused on making sure I knew which side was which (white dots on white fabric) I stopped thinking when it came time to mark them!  hI hi hi ho it's off to re-mark I go!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 4:52 PM

I have all my hst sewn and cut but not pressed.  I have the square/strip pieces sewn but not pressed either.  I have discovered that the black metalic in my dark does ot like my iron.  It seems to stick and gum it up.  I think I will have to try at a lower temp but that is for another day.

Lynne I have the 2-1/2 inch square ruler but I find it hard to hold in place while cutting, any tips?  I would love a revolving cutting mat, does it stay when you want it to or do you find it spins?

Paris, Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 5:02 PM

Lynne:
So glad for my 2" square ruler template and revolving cutting mat.

I have a revolving cutting mat, but I don't have a 2" square (where's Ruth Ann when you need her?), so I guess I'll use my slotted shape cutter again.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 395
LaDonna replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 8:59 PM

I couldn't even imagine trimming the hst without my Blok-Loc!  It "locks" onto the diagonal seam so no slipping!

Addicted to Quilting in Clancy, MT

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 9:31 PM

Hi Ladonna, welcome to the appliqué group.   Where's Clancy.

gini in north idaho

Page 2 of 8 (114 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use