rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:57 PM

Mimi,

You are already thinking about doing another MQ8?   Careful!!!!!, that's how I stuck myself with 5 of these! 

At the beginning, when I went to my stash to find a color combo, I kept finding that perfect border and colors to go with it, and pretty soon had a very large pile of combos.  When I tried to weed it down to just one, I couldn't do it! 

I bet if I was to look at my stash even now, I could find a few more "perfect MQ8 combos", but 5 is enough; I'm just crazy, not completely insane!

Just sitting here, waiting for the Mariners game replay to start, and I am outta this sewing room for the night!

Sheila in MT

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 11:25 PM

Marilyn B:

Wow some of you gals are going great guns.  I downloaded the instructions this morning but have been working on quilts for my grandniece and grandnephew (they are twins).  I have the top and what I thought would be the back done for the nephew but DH says that I should make it into a top on it's own.  I am going to show the pics and see what you guys think cause I can't make up my mind.  here is the top, DH is holding it upside down.  You can sort of see the three dimensional look of the green

Now here is the back that I made from the scraps of the top.  I have not added borders yet because if I use it for the back I will need wider borders.  Now that this is sewn I will be able to start step 3 on Sunday as tomorrow is a trip to Toronto to see my dad.

Definitely thinking you should use them both as separate quilt tops, rather than top and bottom of the same quilt.  I love the bottom one, and just think it would be great as a quilt top rather than backing.

~Gina

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 12:06 AM

Ok, I just figured I'd proceed with what I've got, and when I sewed my 1" sections together to make a 9-patch block, they ended up being 2-1/4 inches too, so it all works out ok I guess.  

Here's a photo of my first one completed...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 2:26 AM

Judy, Thanks for the heads up.....I have my material and that's all! Can't wait to get started.....got ALL my taxes mailed to CPA yesterday!! Free again!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400

Marge P:

Hope you get lots of time to sew on your 9 patches and let there be NO INTERRUPTIONS!  Have a great sewing day.

Marge, as usual, there were interruptions, but I did succeed in getting step 2 finished last night.  So many pieces in such a small pile!!  Rich was reminded this morning that this is MY day.  I will be starting step 3 in a few minutes.  Yesterday I was ready to go at 10:00 AM and finally was able to get to the machine after dinner!!!  My scant 1/4 inch was slightly plump for the light dark light, but more perfect for the rest.  Had to frog 2 - too narrow!! but that wasn't too bad.  I was interrupted by Rich talking while I was cutting the 2" pieces and miss-placed my strip under the Shapecut ruler and first segment ended up 1 1/2" !!  I must have known I would need a spare strip because I had one extra, so didn't have to get out the fabric and cut more.  Having extra is fine because I will probably double the size of the quilt to make a college dorm quilt - I figure doubling with 65" length as width and double width as length (with a little adjustment as needed).  I have plenty of fabric.  Since we have 6 grandchildrfen graduating in the next 5 years, I can use lots of long quilts.  4 are girls and 3 love magenta, so this will work out well.  Hope to get pictures later today, if things go right.  Then I need to start cutting another batch and get them done.  Maybe I need to also cut a few extra to be sure I have enough.  The extras would make nice pillows, if not needed in the quilt. 

This is FUN!!!  I like to work with small pieces and this method is working very well for me.  The magenta I found in my stash has been needing a home for years.  It is just perfect for this.  I am an assembly-line person, so will probably sew all 9-patches, etc at the same time.  I like your method also because it helps with seeing progress as you go.  I am a counting person, but also a speed and short-cut demon.  My Shapecut ruler has sure helped with the speed and accuracy (as long as I cut in the right slots and position fabric correctly!!!)

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400

Mimi:

Bethiebear:
Mimi, your fabric choices are beautiful

Thanks Bethiebear.  I got the border fabric at Walmart for $5 a yard.  Now, now everyone....I know what you're thinking....Walmart fabric?? Oh no!!  i hope she was careful........Well I checked it out for about 10 minutes before I bought it. It is high quality, tightly woven, and I can't see through it when I hold it up to the light.  It was a real surprise! Not to mention a bargain.

Mimi, I also buy much fabric at Walmart and there is some quality fabric there.  You just have to search - I like white-on-white or white-on-cream for backgrounds, but most are "cheezy".  There is one I have gotten that is better and I have been told that it is an in-stock item.  I should buy it by the bolt.  My daughter does that at her Walmart, but I haven't asked about that here yet.  We have very few fabric stores around here and they are dropping like flies.  The nearest is now an antique shop - what a surprise!  Our nearest Joann's is 50 miles away and with the cost of fuel I don't go that far just for fabric.  If I have a dr's appointment in that town, I might get the time to stop, but Rich is usually with me, so - - - - -  He doesn't like fabric stores.  Walmart is OK, only if I am getting what HE wants!!!  Some day maybe we will do what I want!!

Mimi, sorry I didn't comment on your quilt fabrics.  That will be a very delicate and feminine quilt - - - I love it!  (thanks to edit, I was able to add this - - - mind is fleeting at best today - maybe it is too much SUN!  It is another beautiful day.)  NOW, off to the machine.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400

Gina:
All my strip sets in the first part of step 2 ended up being 2-1/4 inches when done.  If they have to be exactly 2" then I will have to cut off a little bit from each side of them, as I don't have the patience to remake these.  Or is it ok that they are at 2-1/4 inches wide because once they are sewn to the next steps, they will end up being 2"?  I am completely not understanding this....sorry!

Gina, I think you are sewing a too scant 1/4 inch seam.  If you stitch another seam just inside the one you have done, you will get it closer to the right size.  If your inner strip measures 1/2 inch, you can trim the outsides to 3/4 inch and be fine.  It means more sewing, but is a lot better than having a wider seam allowance and too-small patch.  This is much more easily corrected.  Just trimming the edges would make the center strip wider in proportion to the outer strips when finished.

If all your center strips are the same size, it would be OK to trim the edges - just make sure to cut the same off each edge to center the strip.  Your 9 patch corners and sides will be slightly narrower, but might be an interesting look.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 309
jlh replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:45 AM

My 9 year old Granddaughter has taken over my sewing room for her school project, putting my progress on MQ8 on hold! She has never sewed before, so every step of the way is a learning experience for her. She has the top of this wall hanging sized quilt done, now will come sandwiching and finishing. I am so proud of her work! Her log cabin strips are wonky, and we had to do some trimming to square up but over all looks good, especially for first time. The only "incident" was a small burn on her arm...the iron is a bit heavy for her.

Mimi..I have used your border fabric in a quilt; it was really nice to work with. I think I got mine at Hancocks.

I really enjoy reading everyone's comments, color choices, and trials and tribulations. It's great fun to be in the same boat with everyone in this group!

jlh in Iowa

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,450
Points 40,740
Mimi replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 2:32 PM

jlh:
My 9 year old Granddaughter has taken over my sewing room

Oh jlh, I'm so envious.  Your DGD did a wonderful job with her first project.  I want to teach my DGD#1 to sew but she lives so far away we hardly ever get to see each other.  I'm hoping to have her come for a week this summer some time.  My jamone has a speed control so I hope that will help her.  Thanks for the comment on the fabric.  It is quite nice for the price.  And I've just noticed that we have the same initials....my given name isn't Mimi.  That's what my DGD's and my QCA friends call me.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

How wonderful JLH.  The only other sewer in my family is my DN and I visited her this weekend. 

It is unanimous and DH is doing the I told you so... Thank you for all who liked my back as a front.  It now gives me a reason to shop for fabric for the backs.  I stopped at two stores this weekend in Toronto but did not see anything to catch my eye.  DH offered to take me back to Ann Arbor to see DS and do more JoAnn shopping but not sure I am up to 4 hour drive each way just yet.  If I can't find anything I like local then when the weather is better and we can spend more than one night there I will take him up on the offer.  In the meantime they have been added to my tops to be backed pile.  It is smaller than my UFO pile at least.  Now I can get started on step 3.  It looks like fun and the combos I have seen are fantastic so far.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 565
Lisa C replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:00 PM

Step 3 done...  I've never really worked with so many tiny pieces...  I'm loving all the fabric choices... Ladies, you are all so talented...  Now that step 3 is done, I have to start and finish a queen size quilt by June, my BFF's son is getting married, only found out a few days ago...  May have to fake a cough and go fabric shopping....lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,723
Points 66,475
Bonita replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 5:06 PM

I've been enjoying everyones 9 patch strips. Lots of pretty combinations. A big thanks to the ones who posted their trials and tribulations. It helped me not to make the same ones. I came up with my own. LOL. Here's mine, they look like black and white but the light is really a very soft gray, almost silver. I'll draw the lines on the blocks when I'm taking care of the kids this week. I can only do hand type work when the little one naps.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400

Lisa, I love your colors - Will make a very sunny quilt.

Nearly got step 3 finished - would have had it done, but decided to cut strips for the additional blocks I will probably need for the long twin size I am planning.  Have those strips ready to sew together so will finish step 3 of the first half and sew the strips for the additional tomorrow.  I have worn myself out today.  I won't cut the rest of the pieces for the second half until I see how the quilt goes together.  The amounts of pieces might vary with the change in size.  I know I will use all the 9 patch blocks and 2" strips and might even need more.  Any extras will have a use somewhere.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

Hi Debra!   Looks like you and I had the same idea.   Mine is a white-on-white, though.  

I'm kinda excited about the results of my sewing.  Considering all the beautiful colors, and what seems to me to be perfect blocks by everyone, mine are not that bad for a newbie.   I've tried quilting something a long time ago, and I just couldn't get anything to match up and got so frustrated, I put it aside and eventually tossed it!  Honestly, I was just young and foolish and thought, pffttttt, I can do this!!  Well, older and wiser am I, so, I'm taking my time....measuring, measuring, measuring and going slow, slow, slow!!

I do have some that are a little "wonky" as y'all would say, but I am certainly thrilled with what I've accomplished!!  Here they are:

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,479
Points 24,665
Debbie replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 8:12 PM

jlh - must be this age, my 10 year old grandson wanted to buy fabric one day when we were at Joanne's so he could make a quilt for his Momma for Mother's Day.  we've been working on it on Sundays, he has been doing all the sewing.  I cut everything out and then he stacked it all and he's got almost 4 rows done.  we're making a rag quilt, green and purple flannel.  He just likes to do so much stuff - cook, art, sports, music, read, and a smart little guy - he's my little Renaissance Man!

going to make a nice girl a very good husband someday... 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 13 of 19 (285 items) «Prev1112131415Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use