Discussion and Questions regarding Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 50 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

It's actually light gray. I love the combo. I just don't know what I'll do for a border. 

Debra 

southern Maine

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045

Marge P:
You must put the Yellow Cab name in your quilt for sure

Sounds like a good idea Marge. Cabs in the City? I've also finished step three and you're right, working with the one inch strips is not much different than the 3/4" log cabin strips. But I did have to rip a couple, sewed two nine patches with light dark light to the wrong side of the 2" square. Must have been tired.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 4:20 PM

Everyones sewing looks so nice!  Love all the colors too!  Here are mine, and I am glad someone mentioned that not all the 2 inch center parts were used in this step because I counted and counted to make sure I was doing this right. so here are mine, and I see some are a bit wonky  :/

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,614
Points 119,440

Sandy:

Everyones sewing looks so nice!  Love all the colors too!  Here are mine, and I am glad someone mentioned that not all the 2 inch center parts were used in this step because I counted and counted to make sure I was doing this right. so here are mine, and I see some are a bit wonky  :/

You are going to have a good looking quilt Sandy.  I'm glad you didn't make my mistake of sewing the 9-patch blocks to all the 3-strip blocks. That was so dumb of me which is why I thought I'd better post a warning.
I have wonky sets also. Mine are more in the length or slightly crooked. No matter how careful I was, when all three pieces were sewn together I still came up 1/16 to 1/4 too long. I even squared them up before sewing on the 2nd 3-patch and still some ended up too long.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 5:14 PM

Okay, I know froggin' is tearing out and resewing (rip it, rip it, rip it).

But what is re-ironing seams called....flapjackin'?  (you know, flip it, flip it, flip it).

I was merrily working on my third MQ8, when I realized that the seams were pressed the wrong way, and never would "nest" perfectly with the next step.  My migraine-addled head could not wrap itself around the fact that this was the one quilt where I flipped the directions and changed the darks to lights.

Well, I have been "flapjackin" for an hour and I don't like doing it.  Was hoping to get my 4th MQ8 done today, also, but now I think I will go bag the whole thing and go watch the Mariners game!

Sheila in MT

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 6:05 PM

Sheila:

Okay, I know froggin' is tearing out and resewing (rip it, rip it, rip it).

But what is re-ironing seams called....flapjackin'?  (you know, flip it, flip it, flip it).

I was merrily working on my third MQ8, when I realized that the seams were pressed the wrong way, and never would "nest" perfectly with the next step.  My migraine-addled head could not wrap itself around the fact that this was the one quilt where I flipped the directions and changed the darks to lights.

Well, I have been "flapjackin" for an hour and I don't like doing it.  Was hoping to get my 4th MQ8 done today, also, but now I think I will go bag the whole thing and go watch the Mariners game!

Sheila in MT

Sheila -  I think you have come up with a new term - "flapjackin" - sounds good to me!  I hope you are finished with that little task soon and can be on your way.

I actually was planning on sewing today but have been on the computer all day making reservations to go to Vegas for hubby's birthday in May.  Sure hope all the things I did work out!  We will be listening to the Mariner's game this afternoon as we will be on the road.  Go Mariner's!  Last night's game was a nail biter at the end.

You have some great color combos on your 5 MQ8's.  What a determined young lady you are!

MargeP

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,495

Beautiful, Marilyn B!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:37 PM

I've been jealously watching everyone get step 3 finished.  I thought maybe I ought to catch up with all of you so here is my step 3 as well as my border fabric.  The light is actually a very pale green batik.  Everyone has done a wonderful job with these teeny tiny 9 patches.  I agree, they are soooo cute.  Some of mine are totally wonky but it is what it is.....Bring on step 4.  I'm thinking of another one in different colors with a more modern border focus........

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 635

Mimi, your fabric choices are beautiful and I know your quilt will be gorgeous!!  Absolutely love your selections!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 4,845

Marge, I found your mind games interesting.  The first thing I did was lay out all the pieces into stack of each 9 patch and center 2" piece followed by the 9 patch.  Then I divided it into 4 groups of 9 each and have been completing 9 at a time. So, I play night games, too.  It makes it go much faster and I don't get bored with doing the same step over and over again.  Good to know I am not the only one who plays those mind games!

Here they are and I am ready for step 4.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to even look at step 4 for a couple of weeks.  Oh, well.  I just get caught up and I will be behind again.

Martha, Parker, CO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 9:29 PM

Martha Haines:
So, I play night games, too.

No way Martha... I did mine in sets of 12 the same way you did your nine sets.  You're right it doesn't get as boring.  I love how bright and happy your fabrics look together.  WTG.  It's getting late here on the east coast. Off to sleep now.  Can't wait to see more beauties tomorrow after church.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,456
Points 40,815
Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 9:35 PM

Bethiebear:
Mimi, your fabric choices are beautiful

Thanks Bethiebear.  I got the border fabric at Walmart for $5 a yard.  Now, now everyone....I know what you're thinking....Walmart fabric?? Oh no!!  i hope she was careful........Well I checked it out for about 10 minutes before I bought it. It is high quality, tightly woven, and I can't see through it when I hold it up to the light.  It was a real surprise! Not to mention a bargain.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:13 PM

Nana:

Marilyn

When you sew the first 2 strips together you are using a 1/4" off of each strip which totals 1/2".   You then sew the 3rd strip again taking a 1/4" off of each strip which again will total 1/2".   You started out with 3 inches worth of strips.  When you subtract your 1" total of seams used you should end up with 2".   I am not sure what you are doing to only be using a total of 1/2" in seams when you are doing 2 seams.

Nana...
I am really confused...been reading through the posts and still not understanding.  All my strip sets in the first part of step 2 ended up being 2-1/4 inches when done.  If they have to be exactly 2" then I will have to cut off a little bit from each side of them, as I don't have the patience to remake these.  Or is it ok that they are at 2-1/4 inches wide because once they are sewn to the next steps, they will end up being 2"?  I am completely not understanding this....sorry!

~Gina

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

Honestly, I was afraid of those 1" pieces and 2" 9 patches, but they went together surprisingly quick and easy. I'm caught up now. 

Wow! Lots of beautiful fabrics and color choices! I'm looking forward to seeing how they come together. 

To Sheila in MT, I can't imagine making 360 2" 9-patch blocks!! Now that's CRAZY!!!!! Good for you!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:41 PM

some great color combinations.  Every time I see one, I think "oh this is my favorite."  and then I look at the next one, and I have a new favorite. Can't choose.  I like them all. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 12 of 19 (285 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use